By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Are You An Atheist?

hm.. one thing I'm certain about is that all the books about "god" are man made and convey what humans want other humans to do

that doesn't rule out the possibility that a god may exist and that he fine tuned all the factors so that we can come into existence, but if this god wanted us to live by specific rules, he could just tell all people at once, right?

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
LemonSlice said:

JWeinCom said:

It's pretty simple. I have not seen any compelling evidence to believe in a deity. 

The idea of a deistic god (one who created the universe but does not intervene) is unlikely, but possible. The idea of a theistic god (one that does intervene) I find highly unlikely. The idea of of a personal god (one that is interested in human affairs) is something I am nearly positive does not exist. As for any god that has thus far been proposed by man (yaweh, allah, jesus, zeus, appolo, krishna, brahma etc.) I am as close to 100% sure they do not exist as possible (although in fairness I haven't been exposed to every single god).

I would like to correct your opening statement. I did not choose to be an atheist, any more than I chose to believe in a heliocentric solar system. It is not a choice, but an interpretation of the available evidence. It's not a choice to believe in anything. It's a matter of how your mind processes the data.

And if people would like to quote me and tell me I'm wrong, they may do so (it's fine by me, but I can't speak for the OP and mods). I'm pretty comfortable in my stance, and if anyone can actually prove a deity to me with evidence, I would welcome that.

I won't tell you you're wrong, but from the way you speak about these matters it's obvious you're not a spiritual person. Belief in God concerns matters of the heart, not of the mind. That doesn't mean such belief isn't rational, but that the rationale comes from within, from deep introspective thought, not from the observation of the material world and cold reason.

There either is a god, or there is not.  It is a matter of truth.  It is not a matter of morality, opinion, phhilosophy, or preference (which would be dealt with with introspection).  It is true or it is not.  I don't see why this should be the one truth claim that does not need to be supported by evidence.  

Please let's not start this. This thread was meant to be exclusively about atheists expressing their belief and not why one religion is wrong and the other is right. Thank You

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Why am I an Atheist, do you say? That is a good question. Perhaps it's not that I don't believe in God or anything of the such, but more that there's been no real reason or evidence for me to do so. I'm all fine for people who believe in their own religion, but forcing their views onto others who don't believe isn't the right approach to "convert" people; nor is it for atheists to dissuade believers from their faith. As for the actual technical questions, it's been discussed plenty before and it'll likely be brought up plenty in this thread so I'll steer clear.

In short, everyone has their own opinion and their own viewpoints. The reasons for those differing viewpoints are vast and numerous, but that doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

JWeinCom said:
Mr.Playstation said:

Please follow the OP's rules, thank you. I know you may disagree but it's always cool and awesome to know why other people are following their religion. 

Personally, I think it's useful to have opinions challenged rather than isulated.  It's your topic though I guess.

At the end topics such as this always get locked when it turns to an Atheism vs Christianity vs Islam vs Buddhism vs... . I know that it's nice to have opinions challenged too, but for now let's just keep it to  Atheists expressing their belief and not being challenged against. Thank You .

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

gooch_destroyer said:
JWeinCom said:

There either is a god, or there is not.  It is a matter of truth.  It is not a matter of morality, opinion, phhilosophy, or preference (which would be dealt with with introspection).  It is true or it is not.  I don't see why this should be the one truth claim that does not need to be supported by evidence.  

Are you an agnostic one?

Well, that kind of depends.  I don't really like the word agnostic.  If you consider anything less than 100% certainty of no god agnostic, then yes, I would be agnostic.  There are very few things I am 100% sure of, and it is impossible to prove a negative.  My belief in any kind of personal god that is particularly interested in humans is as close as you could get to 0% without actually hitting it.  My belief in an intelligent god is not as low, but still pretty low.  If you suggest god as an impersonal force beyond our current understanding of nature, I'd say that is a reasonable possibility.

Edit:  In respect to the TC I guess I won't respond any more, but if anyone wants to discuss it, feel free to make another thread or contact me.

Around the Network

Let me give the whole story. I was born an atheist. We all are. Anyway, my dad is a religiously apathetic Catholic and my mom is a more religious Eastern Orthodox. For that reason, I was baptized an Eastern Orthodox. However, this was not my choice. This was done to me when I was too young to make decisions. So years go on, and I never really liked religion. I hated going to church and learning about religion. I saw no purpose. Then when I was a teenager (I want to say 14), I came to the realization that there simply is no deity. The world made plenty sense without it. So I guess you can say that I never "chose" my religion. I was born one way, baptized another without even knowing it, and then came to a realization that the second one was simply wrong.

I will also add that I am happier as an atheist. It may be due to trivial things such as being able to eat meat on Fridays during lent without any guilt, or greater things such as feeling that my life is entirely mine, and I am free.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

I am undecided. Here is my interpretation, and I hope everyone is accepting.

Here's the thing: I believe religion was first created out of the fear of the unknown. The fear of what happens to us when we die. When we became self aware as a species, we had the drive to figure out everything around us. Since then it has been a debate of to-know-or-not-to-know; a fear of the unknown but also a fear of knowledge.

I look at Religion in one way: it is a set of rules to live by so that we may stand as a community against the fear of the unknown, and a warning to stay human instead of seeking out all there is to know about our Universe. It's like saying ignorance is bliss because ignorance is safe.

Not the best example, but look at most Japan, a culture that seems to have always been very accepting of death; much more so than Western cultures. Japan has little to no Westernized Organized religion, only adopting such principles as Christian Weddings. Japan is spiritual; not religious.

Now onto religious stories that warned us of knowledge.

Look at the Biblical story of Adam and Eve. They follow the rules and live in blissful ignorance. The snake (which I see as Natural Human Curiosity) tells them to eat from the tree of knowledge, which makes them self aware of their true existence, and they get thrown out of Eden.

Pandora's box in Greek Mythology; a myth that has many different interpretations, one such being this: Prometheus steals fire from the heavens and gifts it to the humans, which angers the Gods, and Zeus decides to punish them to compensate for the boon they were given. The Gods gift Pandora (the first woman on Earth) to the humans, and she brings with her a box which contains many evils. She was told to never open it, but she grows curious of the gift which she brought with her, and opens the jar, unleashing disease/famine etc upon the world.

With so much unknown in the world we are told to place our faith on a deity, so we might feel safe and communal. This deity is the only thing we have to believe in. We miss out on all the other knowledge, but we stay blissfully ignorant of all the evils that may be lurking within that knowledge.

So many people grew so many different interpretations of religion over the years. Wars were fought over holy ground, ideas and people were rejected because perhaps they were a little different to what they had grown up believing. It is hard to advocate change in a system that I believe is all about keeping things the same; staying safe and secure.

There are also good things that I take away from religion. I do like the feeling of community that one gets while going to church. I do like many teachings from Jesus (the person) and Muhammad, who preached a peaceful existence. Siddhartha Gautama and Guru Nanak also preached many good things. Pope Francis (the current one) is a very bright spot on the Catholic Church.

Like everything else in life, I am free and welcome to accept some aspects while rejecting others. This is how I see it. I grew up going to Church and believing in God, and I still think that there are some things that cannot be explained. Is that because I was conditioned to believe so? Who knows, that is a conversation for another day.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

I'm not an athiest, I just don't care.

Captain_Yuri said:
I was an Atheist once but then I found out about Haruhiism and now I follow that instead!

We both know Kyonko is the one true god =p

Also isn't OP's first paragraph aimed more at agnosticist(not sure it's the right word/spelling) than atheist ?

Because I simply don't believe in a god. I was raised in a very religious family, studied in a catholic school.

Some day when I was 11 years old I started to question everything that my mom or my religion teacher (yeah it is an obligatory subject) told me. I really don't remember exactly how but when I was 13 I just knew I wasn't a religious person. First I called myself an agnostic because I was thaught being an atheist was wrong but when I started college and grew a bit more I just didn't care anymore what my family or anyone said about my believes. And I'm not exaggerating, everytime I tell someone I'm an atheist they usually ask me why.

To be forced to believe in something is my main problem with religion, it's a man made institution and as one it has a lot of flaws. Logically speaking I just can't understand how others believe in a god, for me everything indicates that there isn't one and people just believe in a greater being as a way of finding comfort.

p.s: excuse my english.