By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Are You An Atheist?

I don't really discard the idea of a superior entity that created us, but I don't find any evidence that supports it yet.

If it exists, though, I've always considered it to be an evil entity, although I don't know if you can apply moral compass to such thing.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
I didn't choose to become an athiest. I was born an athiest (without any belief in a deity) and have failed to be convinced of the validity of any religion since. My family on one side a strict Roman Catholics, and on the other - as lenient as you can get protestants.

Thank you for that. As you and another user have mentioned one doesn't actually choose to become an atheist. I'll edit the OP accordingly.

On Topic: I'm reading all of your guys replies and I must say some have indeed been very thought inducing.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

JWeinCom said:

It's pretty simple. I have not seen any compelling evidence to believe in a deity. 

The idea of a deistic god (one who created the universe but does not intervene) is unlikely, but possible. The idea of a theistic god (one that does intervene) I find highly unlikely. The idea of of a personal god (one that is interested in human affairs) is something I am nearly positive does not exist. As for any god that has thus far been proposed by man (yaweh, allah, jesus, zeus, appolo, krishna, brahma etc.) I am as close to 100% sure they do not exist as possible (although in fairness I haven't been exposed to every single god).

I would like to correct your opening statement. I did not choose to be an atheist, any more than I chose to believe in a heliocentric solar system. It is not a choice, but an interpretation of the available evidence. It's not a choice to believe in anything. It's a matter of how your mind processes the data.

And if people would like to quote me and tell me I'm wrong, they may do so (it's fine by me, but I can't speak for the OP and mods). I'm pretty comfortable in my stance, and if anyone can actually prove a deity to me with evidence, I would welcome that.

I won't tell you you're wrong, but from the way you speak about these matters it's obvious you're not a spiritual person. Belief in God concerns matters of the heart, not of the mind. That doesn't mean such belief isn't rational, but that the rationale comes from within, from deep introspective thought, not from the observation of the material world and cold reason.

Sorry for intruding into this thread, but before things inevitably turn ugly, I thought I'd have my say. Not sure what the point is in any thread if it's only a big circlejerk anyway.

Because I took the time to read about Abrahamic religions and realized they are wrong. Now I am too bored to continue searching for the right religion.

LemonSlice said:

JWeinCom said:

It's pretty simple. I have not seen any compelling evidence to believe in a deity. 

The idea of a deistic god (one who created the universe but does not intervene) is unlikely, but possible. The idea of a theistic god (one that does intervene) I find highly unlikely. The idea of of a personal god (one that is interested in human affairs) is something I am nearly positive does not exist. As for any god that has thus far been proposed by man (yaweh, allah, jesus, zeus, appolo, krishna, brahma etc.) I am as close to 100% sure they do not exist as possible (although in fairness I haven't been exposed to every single god).

I would like to correct your opening statement. I did not choose to be an atheist, any more than I chose to believe in a heliocentric solar system. It is not a choice, but an interpretation of the available evidence. It's not a choice to believe in anything. It's a matter of how your mind processes the data.

And if people would like to quote me and tell me I'm wrong, they may do so (it's fine by me, but I can't speak for the OP and mods). I'm pretty comfortable in my stance, and if anyone can actually prove a deity to me with evidence, I would welcome that.

I won't tell you you're wrong, but from the way you speak about these matters it's obvious you're not a spiritual person. Belief in God concerns matters of the heart, not of the mind. That doesn't mean such belief isn't rational, but that the rationale comes from within, from deep introspective thought, not from the observation of the material world and cold reason.

Please follow the OP's rules, thank you. I know you may disagree but it's always cool and awesome to know why other people are following their religion. 

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:

JWeinCom said:

There either is a god, or there is not.  It is a matter of truth.  It is not a matter of morality, opinion, phhilosophy, or preference (which would be dealt with with introspection).  It is true or it is not.  I don't see why this should be the one truth claim that does not need to be supported by evidence.  

I don't know if I'm an atheist. I don't really care what believe in or not. My main point for this is "Who's really God to judge me?" Only my mom and dad (maybe my sister too) can tell me if I'm a good or bad guy for my actions.

I don't care if religion is right or wrong either; if the Universe originated from an explosion or from a creator, my point of view in life wouldn't change. And I think that's the correct way of living.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I never chose to be an atheist. I am categorized as an atheist (or rather an agnostic atheist, as that's the only sensible thing to be) because I don't believe in things that can't be proven. You may say I believe in science, although that would be silly, as science isn't about believing, it's about the continuos pursuit for the truth. Sometimes scientists think they have found the truth, but most of the time they haven't. They may have found something which, based on what they know/ think they know, makes sense.

Honestly, there isn't anything to learn about about agnostic atheism, as it merely is to not believe. It's also kinda hard to choose to not believe. But if you find the concept of a continuos search for the truth more appealing than to presume you have already found it, I'd say you're an agnostic atheist.

Well that post turned into something else than I intended for it to be.

JWeinCom said:

There either is a god, or there is not.  It is a matter of truth.  It is not a matter of morality, opinion, phhilosophy, or preference (which would be dealt with with introspection).  It is true or it is not.  I don't see why this should be the one truth claim that does not need to be supported by evidence.  

Are you an agnostic one?

Mr.Playstation said:
LemonSlice said:

Please follow the OP's rules, thank you. I know you may disagree but it's always cool and awesome to know why other people are following their religion. 

Personally, I think it's useful to have opinions challenged rather than isulated.  It's your topic though I guess.