By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Are You An Atheist?

ohmylanta1003 said:
novasonic said:
Because of science and common sense I guess?

Let's not take potshots, shall we?

I don't see a potshot there.  If that's his reason, that's his reason.

Around the Network

I used to be a practical atheist because I never had a need for God in my life and I found the debate about whether God existed to be too philosophical for me. I also found religious types to be sissies who were kind of like Ned Flanders from the Simpsons and I really didn't feel any pull towards Christianity. I also felt that "love" was mostly a human emotion and that there wasn't really anything special about it. I didn't really believe in good or evil since I thought we were just atoms so any definition of right and wrong had to be based on societal values that constantly were changing.

One day, I had a conversion experience where I realized that there is a definite right and wrong in the world. I had been engaged in a lot of wrong since I had been having pre-marital sex and I started to need God in my life. I also started to learn what love is: love is giving everything of myself to God (and to other people by extension). I started to feel how much God loved me and how freely he offers his love to each one of us and I started to badly desire to give my love to him in return. I eventually learned that being Christian doesn't mean that you have to be a conservative republican like the media makes Christians out to be. As a Catholic, I learned that it is totally possible to accept things like evolution and climate change and to just be a well-educated person who lives in the world. The most important thing about being Christian is to love God with everything you have and the rest comes very naturally.

ReimTime said:
JWeinCom said:
DanneSandin said:
Why wouldn't I be? We all are really. Do anyone believe in every single god there is? Of course not, that's impossible, so in a way everyone is an atheist.

There is no evidence that supports the existence of an all knowing being, and that's why it's called faith and belief. Science is the best thing that ever happened human kind, so why would we need a god when we have science?

And you can be spiritual without being religious. Religion don't have monopoly on spirituality or morality. There is nothing in religion we need any more.

I've heard this a couple of times in this topic and I don't think I quite get it.  What exactly is the difference between being spiritual and being religious?  I feel like a lot of people just use spiritual in place of introspective, but it seems like spiritual has a distinctly super natural tinge to it, which I would consider religious.

Spiritual meaning that while you may not believe in a deity or follow any religion, you still have a Priest bless your Boat as either a superstition or a cultural meme. Or perhaps you offer a prayer at a grave as a sign of respect.

That just kind of seems like compliance to me.  Like, I'm not religious in the slightest, but I'll still go to religious holidays, or wear religious garb at a funeral or wedding if requested (Yamulka in my case), but that's just out of respect to the people involved.  While I do like challenging religion, there is a time and a place.  Seems more like a social thing than spirituality.

JWeinCom said:
DanneSandin said:

I always think that you worship something in a religion, while you dont when youre spiritual. Being spiritual doesnt mean you take moral advice from a supernatural beings holy books from 1000 years ago. I think that spirituality and philosophy some times are very closely related nowadays.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, would you say spirituality is the consideration of the supernatural or things beyond what we know without worship of them?

Yeah something like that. It also have a tendency of creeping into pseudo-science, like Healing. Or believing in ghosts. Things like that

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

ohmylanta1003 said:
novasonic said:
Because of science and common sense I guess?

Let's not take potshots, shall we?

Please, thank you 0___0.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network

Just want to correct a few people in here. Agnostic and athiest are not mutually exclusive. Claiming "agnostic" answers the question of knowing while atheism answers the question of believing. I am for example an agnostic athiest. I don't believe we can  know there is or isn't a diety, using an empirical method, due to that, I can't believe in a deity. Some people are agnostic theists. They don't know there is a deity, but they have faith there is one and believe there is one. Some people are gnostic atheists, they claim they know there is not a deity, and we have sufficiently falsified its existence. Some people are gnostic thiests. They claim  they know there is a deity and we have empricial evidence for its existence. Obviously since these people claim knowledge, they also claim belief or disbelief.

DanneSandin said:
JWeinCom said:

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, would you say spirituality is the consideration of the supernatural or things beyond what we know without worship of them?

Yeah something like that. It also have a tendency of creeping into pseudo-science, like Healing. Or believing in ghosts. Things like that

Mkay.  Thanks for clarifying.

JWeinCom said:
ReimTime said:

Spiritual meaning that while you may not believe in a deity or follow any religion, you still have a Priest bless your Boat as either a superstition or a cultural meme. Or perhaps you offer a prayer at a grave as a sign of respect.

That just kind of seems like compliance to me.  Like, I'm not religious in the slightest, but I'll still go to religious holidays, or wear religious garb at a funeral or wedding if requested (Yamulka in my case), but that's just out of respect to the people involved.  While I do like challenging religion, there is a time and a place.  Seems more like a social thing than spirituality.

I suppose it is all in the definition of the word. To me spiritual means a deep-running connection to something; perhaps the land and the people around you. A sense of place and your link to that. Ancestors, traditions and beliefs that do not center upon anything religious.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

JWeinCom said:
DanneSandin said:

Mkay.  Thanks for clarifying.

No probs man! 

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

ReimTime said:
JWeinCom said:

I suppose it is all in the definition of the word. To me spiritual means a deep-running connection to something; perhaps the land and the people around you. A sense of place and your link to that. Ancestors, traditions and beliefs that do not center upon anything religious.

Ok I get you.  Not sure I would choose to use the word spiritual for it, but I can't really think of a better one.