By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The mid-tier should be brought back to revive classic IPs

There's been a lot of talk and rumors recently of Sony and Microsoft bringing back some of their more dormant IPs. The question is though, is it worth it? Well if they release a new Banjo Kazooie or Parappa for $60 it's probably gonna flop. Don't argue with me. I'm right. It'll flop and they'll go back to making Gears of War 7 or God of War 8 (or whatever it is). BUT, as  Captain Toad demonstrated last year, there's still a market out there for cheaper budget titles. There's also a lot of whining over not having enough retail exclusives in the year.

Now imagine a new 6-7 hour long revival of an old franchise like MediEvil or Perfect Dark produced by a small team for a modest budget. Price at $30-$40 so people don't feel ripped off by a shorter game, and budget it so it won't have to be a multi-million seller to turn a profit. Release it in the months where there isn't a major exclusive coming out so people have something to play while they wait for a new Uncharted to release. Nintendo has already begun taking advantage of this and Sony and Microsoft should follow suit. 

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm just fucking around with the God of War and Gears of War thing so don't blow a gasket. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Or they should just budget better so they don't need insane sales to make a profit. You have some niche Japanese companies pumping out games that don't even sell 500k copies and can still make a profit. If they budget it well they can sell for full price still and make money from it even if actual sales are low.

If the games are being produced with a small budget and a short development cycle then they're probably not going to be very long. If The Order taught us anything it's that people don't really want to buy expensive games that are only 5-6 hours long. A $40 price tag would be a better move to entice a larger audience. 

That would completly go against milking us with shitty dlc and season pass... Why make a smaller game when you can sell hats

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

No one wants mid-tier games these days. It's all about the indies and the AAA. All that's in between is uninteresting, at least that's the feeling I get these days.

Mid tier titles won't do much money, but they won't need tons of resources. They are great to fill the gaps between big titles. And because PS is getting tons of big games, they don't feel the need for AA or A games.

I think Parappa cold do really well on Vita or mobile.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
No one wants mid-tier games these days. It's all about the indies and the AAA. All that's in between is uninteresting, at least that's the feeling I get these days.

If the mid-tier game was a recognizable brand like MediEvil it can attract some attention. For new IPs the mid-tier might not be a great idea but I think it's the best way to go with reviving some classic IPs and fill the gaps between major releases. 

Ape Escape, MediEvil and Parappa should come back.

Fusioncode said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Or they should just budget better so they don't need insane sales to make a profit. You have some niche Japanese companies pumping out games that don't even sell 500k copies and can still make a profit. If they budget it well they can sell for full price still and make money from it even if actual sales are low.

If the games are being produced with a small budget and a short development cycle then they're probably not going to be very long. If The Order taught us anything it's that people don't really want to buy expensive games that are only 5-6 hours long. A $40 price tag would be a better move to entice a larger audience. 

Disgaea. AA franchise in which each game requires at least 80 hours to finish the story.

And then about 250 hours for the post game. Definitely makes a profit with 500k sales too.

Edit : Actually i've never played a AA japanese games that was uner 40 hours long. Only AAA games.

I actually like this idea! I guess only certain genres would benefit from being a mid-tier game for $40; 2D and 3D platformers would suit this price class pretty well, while war sims (CoD, Battlefield) would suffer. That's what I think at least.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
I actually like this idea! I guess only certain genres would benefit from being a mid-tier game for $40; 2D and 3D platformers would suit this price class pretty well, while war sims (CoD, Battlefield) would suffer. That's what I think at least.

Sony should have done this for the vita. Handelds are perfect for lower budget games, and the double touch screen could allow good gameplay elements for platformers.