By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The mid-tier should be brought back to revive classic IPs

yes i support this idea, i would love to see some old IPs come back like Syphon Filter and Medievil, (that being said if a new LOD game comes out it better be a big AAA game!)

Around the Network
estebxx said:
yes i support this idea, i would love to see some old IPs come back like Syphon Filter and Medievil, (that being said if a new LOD game comes out it better be a big AAA game!)

SCEJ is too useless to ever bring back LOD. SCEE and SCEA have to pick up the slack.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Hmmm this needs a bump.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

Sly Cooper was a $40 game? Which instalment? And did it help the sales?

Thieves in Time for PS3 and PSV. It flopped regardless, and that would be the reason why the OP didn't use it as an example.

On topic: The mid-tier is unlikely to be brought back in a serious fashion because the entire purpose of the 360/PS3/X1/PS4 was to eliminate mid-tier games in order to increase the sales for AAA games. The major third party publishers wanted an environment where they could outspend the competition, and subsequently, publishers of mid-tier games either got crushed into oblivion or had to retreat voluntarily.

Couldnt most of Nintendos games be classified as mid tier? Budget wise at least. Im pretty sure Nintendo doesnt spend $100m on a game...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

pokoko said:
DanneSandin said:

Sly Cooper was a $40 game? Which instalment? And did it help the sales?

"Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is coming February 5, but it will require a few less coins than you might have been expecting. Sony announced today that the game will cost $39.99 for the PlayStation 3 version. As the game is part of the cross buy program, the $40 price tag includes a download of the Vita game at no extra cost."  http://www.shacknews.com/article/77311/sly-cooper-4-to-cost-40-on-ps3-30-on

VGC has sales at 0.49M for the PS3 version.  

Sony has been releasing games at different price points for quite awhile.

So, Sly Cooper apparently didnt do great, but how does similarly priced games from Sony fare?

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
pokoko said:

"Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is coming February 5, but it will require a few less coins than you might have been expecting. Sony announced today that the game will cost $39.99 for the PlayStation 3 version. As the game is part of the cross buy program, the $40 price tag includes a download of the Vita game at no extra cost."  http://www.shacknews.com/article/77311/sly-cooper-4-to-cost-40-on-ps3-30-on

VGC has sales at 0.49M for the PS3 version.  

Sony has been releasing games at different price points for quite awhile.

So, Sly Cooper apparently didnt do great, but how does similarly priced games from Sony fare?

Didn't do great?  I suppose not, but what is "great" for a budget title?  And if Sly Cooper came in at 0.71M across the PS3 and Vita, should we really be playing up Captain Toad at 0.59M as an example of great success?  Sly Cooper was also on PS+, probably had more digital sales, and has a movie coming out.

Puppeteer did poorly as a budget title but was in a very difficult spot.  It could have performed better, I think, under better circumstances.  The director of the game, however, didn't seem to think it did that badly, so perhaps the budget was modest.  He also revealed that he will be making more games that will be digital only.

RenCutypoison said:
Fusioncode said:

If the games are being produced with a small budget and a short development cycle then they're probably not going to be very long. If The Order taught us anything it's that people don't really want to buy expensive games that are only 5-6 hours long. A $40 price tag would be a better move to entice a larger audience. 

Disgaea. AA franchise in which each game requires at least 80 hours to finish the story.

And then about 250 hours for the post game. Definitely makes a profit with 500k sales too.

Edit : Actually i've never played a AA japanese games that was uner 40 hours long. Only AAA games.

You're giving Disgaea way too much credit.  Like Dynasty Warriors it was cool for a playthrough when it was the first one, but one of the worst series of games in the genre and the devs just keep milking them.

forest-spirit said:
No one wants mid-tier games these days. It's all about the indies and the AAA. All that's in between is uninteresting, at least that's the feeling I get these days.

You get what you pay for and low budget and indie titles rarely have that shining gem in the large pool of crap. There's a lot of great mid level budget  games thoughout past generations.  Most of the best games haven't been your AAA blockbusters but the mid level offerings.  

pokoko said:
DanneSandin said:

Didn't do great?  I suppose not, but what is "great" for a budget title?  And if Sly Cooper came in at 0.71M across the PS3 and Vita, should we really be playing up Captain Toad at 0.59M as an example of great success?  Sly Cooper was also on PS+, probably had more digital sales, and has a movie coming out.

Puppeteer did poorly as a budget title but was in a very difficult spot.  It could have performed better, I think, under better circumstances.  The director of the game, however, didn't seem to think it did that badly, so perhaps the budget was modest.  He also revealed that he will be making more games that will be digital only.

But Sly Cooper is a bigger franchise and had a much bigger instal base. And lets be honest here, Captain Toad is a glorified DLC. Maybe my expectations are simply way too high. Im used to seeing games make 0.7m in the first week. I actually dont know what a reasonable amount for mid tier and/or portable games are. 0.5m might not be bad for games like these on budgets like those.

That seems to be a great idea! Maybe we would finally get a new Skies of Arcadia game that way.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---