By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Konami wants 1 Million Sales of MGS4 in Japan Alone + Other Info

MGS 4 will be lucky to sell 317k first week in Japan.

"Why isn't samus in a mario kart game?"

Around the Network

no MGS game has ever sold 1 million in Japan. And according to another article I read, the popularity of the series is actually decreasing in japan.

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

Diabloz said:
First day will be around 850k to 1 million.... wait and see...

Not in a million years.  I would be really impressed if they were over 500k.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

350-400k opening week
700-800k lifetime

If Konami is only counting shipped numbers then I can see that happening. I DO see MGS4 selling more than 1 million in NA and EU though....

The only PS3 game we can really count on going far past 1million in Japan alone is FF13 and FF13 versus.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
disolitude said:
Whoa...600K first week...that would mean 1/3 of Japanese PS3 owners have to get it.

I mean I hope the game does well, I love MGS series. But lets not go crazy here...

June 12. PS3 will be closer to 2.2 mil-2.5 mil. and that'd be close to 1/4. Besides, didn't SSBB sell about the same even with restrained supply? ;)

Don't you get that the latter series far more popular in Japan, and that low supplies of the more popular series do not mean the less popular series will sell better? 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

erikguy said:
no MGS game has ever sold 1 million in Japan. And according to another article I read, the popularity of the series is actually decreasing in japan.

have link to article?

Griffin said:
Do we even know that our numbers for japan are right. Did we get them from an official source or from wiki or some other place. The PS2 has sold over 1.3bil games, we don't have that many sales listed on this site.

As far as I know the historic Japanes numbers are Media Create ones, which are pretty reliable imo.

ioi would be the one to contact to verify. 

dabaus513 said:
Any idea if the MGS for bundle is limited or not?

No, it will be around until the end of this gen....

Basically, Konami want's this game to sell like a Nintendo game. It could very well do so. Howeve,r it's not guarnteed.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.