By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where will Yooka Laylee sell the most on 8th gen consoles?

Highest Selling Version?

PS4 266 45.01%

WIIU 313 52.96%

XBO 12 2.03%

Total:591
Fusioncode said:
KLXVER said:

Then why is the game 10$ on PC and 15$ on consoles?

Ask the devs. 

I feel like I already know the answer...

Around the Network

logically speaking most rare fans is not With Nintendo anymore and the old gamers already grew up with PS platform and some when to Xbox. So loyalty with rare is useless when it comes to sales discussion. And also other console has their own respective fans for platformer games.

So i am going to use software attache sales and user base number as a my prediction. it far more accurate. So

1. PS4 40% sales
2. Wii U 30%
3. Xbox One 20%
4. PC 10 %

PS4 without a doubt. Although there may be an argument that the Wii U might have the higher attach rate in terms of percentage, by the time the game arrives there is likely to be well over 3:1 in terms of PS4 over Wii U in customers hands. So for sales numbers, the PS4 wins by default.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

shinebright said:
teigaga said:

PS4 and by a large margin. I don't agree with OP points favouring Wii U.

Points 1, 2 and 4 are all the same and are base of flawed logic. N64 audience =/= Wii U audience. Those who own both platforms (Wii U+PS4, presumably a fair portion of Wii U owners by the time this game is out) will mostly go for the PS4 version due to better graphics/performance.

3. Nintendo fans buy Mario like crack*, lets not ignore how mediocre knack has outsold every non mario platformer on Wii U. If anything the abunance of quality exclusive platformers on Wii U versus the PS4 will work in the PS4's favour.

The fact that a late release of Rayman Legends on PS4 > the original, hyped Wii U release should be clear enough indication that PS4 will take the sales crown easily.

It's not like there are many non mario platformers on wii u but knack was heavily bundled and advertised. Rayman sells with legs and ps4's base increased a lot, leading to higher rayman sales. Wii U remains the platform with the highest attach ratio for the game.

Rayman Origins and Need for Speed had the highest attach ratio on PSVita, but that doesn't mean best selling. High attach ratio's are common for systems with smaller userbase and fewer retail releases. 

Knack was also a terrible game which should have sold less and hasn't had any legs but I agree there are no perfect comparisons and the best is Rayman Legends because its a platformer with a mostly core audience, unlike licensed titles (lego Marvel+Batman which sold best on PS4) or those toy collection games marketed at under 10s (skylanders/disney infitey that sold best on Wii U). Yooka Laylee is a download only title and hyped by nostagia from an 18 year old game, its main demographic will be adults. And all (decent) platformers sell with legs so I don't see that as an actual argument just more reason for the PS4 to be the highest selling, LBP3 opened with 80k on PS4 and now is past 1m. And again PS4 version of Legends had lots going against, it was released on 4 other platforms 5months before it was released on PS4, yet still sold better, how can we ignore that? But Again, no perfect comparison so I'll just agree to sit and wait

JustBeingReal said:
PS4 without a shadow of a doubt.
Besides the fact PS4 has the biggest install base, it will also have a bigger audience for modern platform games, thanks to Knack, Tearaway & Ratchet & Clank, which will all be on the system by the end of the year.

I suspect that there will be a new Sly Cooper announced this year sometime, to coincide with the movie release next year. Wouldn't be shocked if Knack gets a sequel and Ratchet & Clank do too in time.

Sony does love them some platform games, so other new IPs in that genre are also very likely to start coming in the coming years of this generation.
Hell if Sony sees the popularity of the genre make a resurgence then they'll probably try to make Naughty Dog's latest concept for Jak & Daxter a reality and if possible get their hands back on Crash, whether that means buying it back from Activision or just paying revenue to them to use the IP, it could happen, especially if Activision doesn't care to use the game themselves.

How is Knack a platformer?

If the R & C game is anything like the PS2 games it won't be much of a platformer either.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
JustBeingReal said:
PS4 without a shadow of a doubt.
Besides the fact PS4 has the biggest install base, it will also have a bigger audience for modern platform games, thanks to Knack, Tearaway & Ratchet & Clank, which will all be on the system by the end of the year.

I suspect that there will be a new Sly Cooper announced this year sometime, to coincide with the movie release next year. Wouldn't be shocked if Knack gets a sequel and Ratchet & Clank do too in time.

Sony does love them some platform games, so other new IPs in that genre are also very likely to start coming in the coming years of this generation.
Hell if Sony sees the popularity of the genre make a resurgence then they'll probably try to make Naughty Dog's latest concept for Jak & Daxter a reality and if possible get their hands back on Crash, whether that means buying it back from Activision or just paying revenue to them to use the IP, it could happen, especially if Activision doesn't care to use the game themselves.

If the R & C game is anything like the PS2 games it won't be much of a platformer either.

How is it not? It's defined by Sony as a platform action adventure game and has plenty of platforming gameplay to be defined as such.

R&C was definitely a platform game, later games in the series were too, the new one isn't just a straight up copy of the original PS2 game. It's based on the movie, with some similarities to the original, but it's a new game really and Ratchet & Clank games in general have solid platformer gameplay as the core of what they're about.

A game doesn't have to just have platforming gameplay to be a platform game.

JustBeingReal said:
Samus Aran said:

How is it not? It's defined by Sony as a platform action adventure game and has plenty of platforming gameplay to be defined as such.

R&C was definitely a platform game, later games in the series were too, the new one isn't just a straight up copy of the original PS2 game. It's based on the movie, with some similarities to the original, but it's a new game really and Ratchet & Clank games in general have solid platformer gameplay as the core of what they're about.

Care to show me these platforming sections in Knack and the first R&C?

Do we define Metroid as a platformer? It has much more platforming than Knack and R & C combined.

My problem is that everyone calls any character driven cartoony game a platformer these days.

Samus Aran said:
JustBeingReal said:

Care to show me these platforming sections in Knack and the first R&C?

Do we define Metroid as a platformer? It has much more platforming than Knack and R & C combined.

My problem is that everyone calls any character driven cartoony game a platformer these days.

There's plenty in Knack, every level has areas with gameplay that fits the traditional platform style, same goes for R&C.
I'd define Knack as a Brawler/Platformer really, but it has platformer elements, R&C is a similar merging of two genres, Shooting/Melee/Platformer.

Art Style has something to do with it too, but not if it doesn't have levels/platforms to jump up and down or across of.

Viewing perspective is also another factor to this, usually 3rd person, 1st person makes it seem a bit different.

TBH many 3rd person games like Uncharted, TLOU, Tomb Raider have platform jumping sections of gameplay, but the main difference there is art style and of course the more cover based shooting, so I guess that changes things a bit.

TBH many games in general don't have one specific kind of gameplay nowadays, they're not just a platformer, even Mario has his share of melee gameplay, sometimes shooting elements.

Too most people though it comes down to art style and the fact that the game has platforming gameplay within it's overall play style. You can't call a game a platformer if it doesn't have any platforming gameplay in the game. ;)

That's where I'm coming from, you may feel differently, but I can see things how I like, same goes for you.

JustBeingReal said:

There's plenty in Knack, every level has areas with gameplay that fits the traditional platform style, same goes for R&C.
I'd define Knack as a Brawler/Platformer really, but it has platformer elements, R&C is a similar merging of two genres, Shooting/Melee/Platformer.

Art Style has something to do with it too, but not if it doesn't have levels/platforms to jump up and down or across of.

Viewing perspective is also another factor to this, usually 3rd person, 1st person makes it seem a bit different.

TBH many 3rd person games like Uncharted, TLOU, Tomb Raider have platform jumping sections of gameplay, but the main difference there is art style and of course the more cover based shooting, so I guess that changes things a bit.

TBH many games in general don't have one specific kind of gameplay nowadays, they're not just a platformer, even Mario has his share of melee gameplay, sometimes shooting elements.

Too most people though it comes down to art style and the fact that the game has platforming gameplay within it's overall play style. You can't call a game a platformer if it doesn't have any platforming gameplay in the game. ;)

That's where I'm coming from, you may feel differently, but I can see things how I like, same goes for you.

When 90% of the game consists of beating up enemies I just call it a brawler or beat em 'up adventure game.

Probably PS4 just because of the install base. Only reason I can think of, right now.