By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics in Video Games: How Much Do They Matter To You?

How much do graphics matter?

The most important! 18 7.20%

They're a big factor, bu... 93 37.20%

Eh, in the middle. 55 22.00%

Don't really care... Whe... 69 27.60%

I can play with squares! 14 5.60%

Other. 1 0.40%

Total:250

Graphics are a brilliant addition to solid gameplay.

Pretty much all Nintendo games (except on wii-excl Mario Galaxy) were sold to me on the appeal of their graphics and me wanting to jump into their world.

Around the Network

Graphics are important to me in a manner that they need to be realistic, I simply cannot play a game with a cartoony look. The most cartoonish I can tolerate is Saints Row 3/4 style of graphics.

But as long as I get realistic graphics, I really do not care if they are 720/900/1080p, any is fine, I've played 5 years on X360 games that are perhaps even sub-720 (and I really didn't know or care what exactly they are). A great gameplay in 720p always beats a great-looking (1080p) game with poor gameplay (The Order, for example).

Cloudman said:
vivster said:

Graphics are the most important thing. I wouldn't even play a game without graphics.

How about a Dungeons and Dragons game? : D

You find yourself into a room.

There are 3 chests in front of you?

The exit to the room is sealed by iron bars.

What do you do?

I will ask my DM to draw a picture :P

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

after 15 minuties playing, they dont matter.

but they are needed for selling the game.

I do mind the graphics for a game, but for me, they are the second most important factor after the gameplay. It's not like I prefer to sacrifice gameplay for ultra realistic 120 FPS 4K and maxed AA, but I don't want jaggies, muddy textures and distance pop up. It kinda ruins it for me.

Around the Network

42.67% I love good graphics, yet atm I'm addicted to Minecraft again.
Art style and 'running well' are more important than the latest technical bells and whistles.

Depends on the genre really, For rpg's i couldn't care less of the graphics i'm happy to buy inde or rpgmaker games on steam as long as they are good, but if I were to play a FPS I want the graphics to be as amazing as possible to get that "WOW" feeling.

Wether the game is fun is what is the most important for me.

With that said, its not like graphics are completely overlooked. Something that looks 8 bit like alot of today's indies, i wont even consider. There are limits to what my eyes will tolerate and graphics do factor in how enjoyable the experience is, but they certainly arent the main requirement. Just dont make it revolting.

Cloudman said:
PieToast said:

This has always been an odd question.

If we're strictly talking about graphical fidelity, then they enhance the experience or can be a part of it in some cases.

Asthetics and artistic direction, which can be directly linked to graphical fidelity, then they're part of the appeal of the game's world. Games were never just about the mechanics, otherwise you're diminishing them to mere button presses.

I don't consciously think about graphics when I decide to purchase a game. I do when I purchase Remasters/remakes or play games on emulators, but that's because I want my games to look as good as they can. 

Haha, these are good answers. Graphics can be helpful in enhancing the overall experience of the game, depending on what it is.

I guess the graphics are pretty important if the game is, for example, a world made of yarn. The game looking the part is important, haha...

Yoshi's Wolly World looks gorgeous and "realistic" if you can strech your imagination a little bit.

.- -... -.-. -..

Graphics are not the end all be all for me.  I play video games to have fun.  I don't need to forget I'm playing a game and feel like I'm watching a movie.  If that were the case, I'd watch a movie instead.  And even then, the same applies for me.  My brother told me that people "got lost in the world of Avatar and felt depressed leaving the theater as they re-entered reality."  My experience watching Avatar was very different and far more disappointing.  Just because the movie had top of the line CGI didn't change the fact that it was still Dances with Wolves set in space.  I'd also prefer to watch the original cartoons than the CGI remakes of Scooby-Doo, the Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, etc.  Anyway, back on the topic of video games, if I'm plunking $60 down for a game, it better be fun and last longer than 6 hours.  Because I can buy three 3 hour epic movies for that price and get far more enjoyment (probably more replay/re-watch value too) than a game that relies on visuals alone as its selling point.  Don't get me wrong though.  If the game has the whole package, then that's great, and I'm all for it.  But, graphics should take a backseat to gameplay (the whole purpose of "playing" a video game), and story.  It should enhance those aspects, rather than trump them.