By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics in Video Games: How Much Do They Matter To You?

How much do graphics matter?

The most important! 18 7.20%

They're a big factor, bu... 93 37.20%

Eh, in the middle. 55 22.00%

Don't really care... Whe... 69 27.60%

I can play with squares! 14 5.60%

Other. 1 0.40%

Total:250

Doesnt really matter to me, but I do admit that there comes a point that it can dampen the experience. For example, I love ff7, but it is incredibly hard for me to play these days due to its blocky graphics. It has not aged well at all. In fact, I think the snes sprite based games still look way better...

Around the Network

I selected "The are a big factor...", but perhaps I should have selected "Other", because what is important to me is atmosphere, and the visuals of a game are most of that. So graphics, yes, but not graphics performance. For example, these visuals are still some of the most athmospheric for me even if the graphics is basic to say the least:

Great graphics are never a necessity for me, but it's something i always appreciate. Having a beautifully rendered world coupled with an appealing art direction can add a lot to my enjoyment of a game. Good animation in particular is something i put a lot of value in.

I tend to value the IQ side of things more than in-game visual fidelity though. I'd rather the latter be worse if it means i can have a pixel perfect resolution and a nice AA method attached (which is what i always target on my PC). Great graphics don't mean too much to me when my attention keeps being pulled away by blur and jaggies :p

Cloudman said:
Aeolus451 said:

I don't really care if a game has high graphics or low graphics but I like graphical consistency throughout the game. Why? Well, it makes me thinks the devs are being lazy when bits of the game look like ass compared to the rest of the game. 

I hope you don't mind me asking when a game was inconsistent with graphics? I'm not sure if I have encountered that before...

As an quick example, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Some parts of the game looked good and other parts after looking at it closer look horrible. 

In the opening sequence cave, the cobwebs had pixellated edges and were on a completely flat plane. It looked like the kind of thing you'd find in Duke 3D.... a pixellated  sprite with a transparant background that your character clips through as if they weren't even there.

In the golden claw cave, on thee other hand? The cobwebs looked just fine. 

I'm sure you played plenty of games that were like that and didn't notice or cared.

Aeolus451 said:
Cloudman said:
Aeolus451 said:

I don't really care if a game has high graphics or low graphics but I like graphical consistency throughout the game. Why? Well, it makes me thinks the devs are being lazy when bits of the game look like ass compared to the rest of the game. 

I hope you don't mind me asking when a game was inconsistent with graphics? I'm not sure if I have encountered that before...

As an quick example, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Some parts of the game looked good and other parts after looking at it closer look horrible. 

In the opening sequence cave, the cobwebs had pixellated edges and were on a completely flat plane. It looked like the kind of thing you'd find in Duke 3D.... a pixellated  sprite with a transparant background that your character clips through as if they weren't even there.

In the golden claw cave, on thee other hand? The cobwebs looked just fine. 

I'm sure you played plenty of games that were like that and didn't notice or cared.

Thanks for sharing that. : ) Unfortunately I haven't played Skyrim, so I am not familiar with that part, but I imagine that little detail may have been glaringly noticable once you see it. I can see where you're coming from. It's possible I have seen this before in games I played, but I may not remember them, or it didn't bother me too much..

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
gergroy said:
Doesnt really matter to me, but I do admit that there comes a point that it can dampen the experience. For example, I love ff7, but it is incredibly hard for me to play these days due to its blocky graphics. It has not aged well at all. In fact, I think the snes sprite based games still look way better...

I never played FF7 when it first came out, so when I tried to play it, I had the same issue... : / I think I couldn't get past the graphics last time I tried it. Maybe if I give it another shot, I can enjoy it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:

What?! That's cheating...! :P

How is it cheating if he draws exactly what he described to me?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I prefer HD with stable frame rate.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Graphics just like Audio, pacing, directing, level design, controls, etc are just one piece of the puzzle of what makes up a game. Without graphics there is no game - period. But sometimes they aren't as important as they are in other games. The Last of Us required beautiful realistic graphics to convey the story and characters, Minecraft has no need for these things.

Also "Good" graphics and "Realistic" graphics are not the same thing. For instance Fat Princess had great graphics, and so did Killzone 2 - just in different ways.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

S.Peelman said:

I could have said what you said word for word.

I do expect there to be some progress though. The standard gets raised over time. I don't like it if a current game would look like a PS1 game, unless it deliberately goes for a certain style (and does it well). If I would play an actual PS1 game however, then I won't mind obviously because I'm very good at putting these things into context. Even today I can be more impressed by the graphics of (both artistic as well as technically) a 20 year old game than a 1 year old game if it looked better relative to it's time. That's why it's harder for new games to impress me, we've reached a point where differences become tiny and everything basically looks 'good enough'. The artistic direction is also more important to me than the bare technicality. Yoshi's Island on SNES or Bioshock look better to me than something generic and 'boring' as Titanfall or Skyrim.

In the end though, if gameplay or anything is bad, no amount of pixels can make up for it, even if it looked as good as reality itself. Then, graphics falls into last place as far as importance goes. An old game with excellent gameplay and 'terrible' graphics is better than a new game with great graphics and bad gameplay, which today is sadly the case more often than not.

I think art style is also a big factor for me since many of the games on the PS4/XB1, while being graphically impressive, just don't pull me in so much. They're just not so interesting to me. It's likely I am not so crazy for realism. Games like 3D World and Smash did get me really excited to play them, however.

Dance my pretties!