By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics in Video Games: How Much Do They Matter To You?

How much do graphics matter?

The most important! 18 7.20%

They're a big factor, bu... 93 37.20%

Eh, in the middle. 55 22.00%

Don't really care... Whe... 69 27.60%

I can play with squares! 14 5.60%

Other. 1 0.40%

Total:250

Having impressive graphics is great and all but gameplay matters more to me than graphics.

Graphics have never made me go back to a game, gameplay and replay value on the other hand has kept me going back to various games regardless of what they look like.

Around the Network

The Wii was the last time I cared. It looked terrible for it's generation and was almost a step sideways from the gamecube. Since getting a PS3, anything of that standard is fine. I now have a Wii U and it's my most played. It's not all that much better than the ps3 on graphics but it's piles more fun in other aspects. I enjoy a nice turn based or real time stragety too and those never have amazing graphics but are the most enjoyable. If only they could get some onto consoles.......Jebus if you're listening.

alabtrosMyster said:

Putting graphics aside, is not really the point, there is no single part of a game that is "essential" to everyone all the time.

Now, low resolution pixel art can look great, many old low resolution games do look crappy... however Sonic 2 and Mega Man X were graphical show cases when they were around, everybody used them to say one system holds up or the other has better graphics... they also played great! Same goes for Mario 64, it was one of the most impressive game of its day, at least outside of the arcades.

Talking about Arcades, back in the 80s the games released in the arcades had the best visuals, best animations, offered more special effects, smooth 3D before everyone else, etc. AND they had the very best game play... some of them at least, there was always some great looking games that had stiff controls, people just forget them really fast, this is nothing new.

Same for current day games, good graphics have no effect on gameplay (other than offering a nice presentation of what's ahead of you) ... they're like the cherry on the sunday... same for sound design, great music/sound is great to have, it may bring more people in... same goes for interface design, etc. even "gameplay" will take a back seat for some, if they find something to like in the game.

But yeah, everybody like to play some tetris from time to time...

While writing this, I did think my examples were a little unfair. They were very impressive for their time, even if they may not be that way now. Maybe I should have gone for smaller or indie games for examples. : ) Also, Tetris is one of those legends that will never die...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Graphics don't matter to me, as long as the game is fun.

As good as possible without ruining the framerate and gameplay

What I mean by gameplay is that I'd rather have the devs focus on a good gameplay instead of just making it pretty

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

I want new games to look nice as good as they can be without compromising gameplay. But I think the majority of games have a pretty acceptable presentation, so I can't think of any game I would put down because it looked that bad.

Of course I expect more from new games but overall I'm pretty lenient considering I play a lot of Pre-Dreamcast games.

gergroy said:
Doesnt really matter to me, but I do admit that there comes a point that it can dampen the experience. For example, I love ff7, but it is incredibly hard for me to play these days due to its blocky graphics. It has not aged well at all. In fact, I think the snes sprite based games still look way better...

I agree somewhat with this, early 3D graphics have not aged well but sprite visuals are more or less timeless. The best part about FFVII has to be the animations; in the beginning when Cloud slams both fists down to press a simple button.

Of all the games I think are good and would like to play, I generally pick the ones that look better first.

Not sure how to answer this really.

Smooth framerates and reasonably sharp IQ are necessary to a good gaming experience, but are you talking about those, or about textures, animation, and all the rest?

Smooth framerate, IQ, and animation matter to me alot(as they usually directly influence how you may play a gme), but I don't care what the textures look like really, or how many polys a character or the geometry has, particle effects used or how realistic you can make a sweat on someone's forehead look.

TheSpindler said:
Not sure how to answer this really.

Smooth framerates and reasonably sharp IQ are necessary to a good gaming experience, but are you talking about those, or about textures, animation, and all the rest?

Smooth framerate, IQ, and animation matter to me alot(as they usually directly influence how you may play a gme), but I don't care what the textures look like really, or how many polys a character or the geometry has, particle effects used or how realistic you can make a sweat on someone's forehead look.

I'm meaning more of the visuals of a game, and how important they are to you. Do you prefer them to be the best as possible, such as the Order or Infamous, or are you fine with simpler graphics Mario 3D World or a smaller indie title? : )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread