By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics in Video Games: How Much Do They Matter To You?

How much do graphics matter?

The most important! 18 7.20%

They're a big factor, bu... 93 37.20%

Eh, in the middle. 55 22.00%

Don't really care... Whe... 69 27.60%

I can play with squares! 14 5.60%

Other. 1 0.40%

Total:250

I really want solid looking graphics for every game I play, but I dont care at all if they arent super detailed or realistic.

Games need to be fun to play rather than good to watch.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network

I chose in the middle. I like to have something that is visually beautiful, I just don't think it needs to be prioritized at the detriment of gameplay.

I enjoy 8-bit games too in this era...gameplay, story and characters are priorities

I like all manner of games, ranging from modern slickness to chunky pixels in old-timey arcade titles. I think "deal breakers" for me are:
1. Frame rate issues. If I watch a game and put any thought into its framerate, something is wrong. Extended dips into sub-30s (like Dragon Age on console), slowdown and flickering in old games (most often in NES games), framerate going up & down like a roller-coaster is not great either, but I'll take it over sub-30.
2. Screen tearing is the worst. I remember first seeing it on Dreamcast and thinking "How is that acceptable?!"
3. Crappy camera = unplayable.
4. If I can't tell what something is on sight in a game (aka, most Atarii games) I have a hard time caring.
5. Horrible early 3D monstermash faces (System Shock 2).
6. General ugliness. Is your color scheme a broad variety of browns & greys? Do your textures look like a screencap of an Atarii game? Is everything over 10 feet away covered in Silent Hill-caliber mist? (Or perhaps worse, invisible until you get close.) Do the character & environmental designs look generic? Do objects get textured up seconds after appearing on screen? Ugly.
7. Pet peeve - games that rely on darkness too much. I am DONE with games that require either cranking up the brightness on my monitor or slowly destroying my eyes trying to perceive anything behind the graphics obscuring veil of darkness.

When graphic start getting in the way of a great game with choppy frame rate, load time and focus on graphic over story or gameplay element then we have an issue. Ideally the full package best graphic, great frame rate, fast load times & great gameplay make for the best experience.

Game that promise best graphic tend to get in trouble since so much work needs to be dedicated simply to graphic.

Around the Network

No one can say that I love a game because of the bad graphic. Graphic is just not that important when in comes to making a game fun to play.

I rather have gameplay over graphics but if a game has both, I would like it even more.