By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 7th Gen was the worst Console Gen ever: My opinion/Rant

Best gen of all time imo.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network

Well I disagree with your opinion, so far this gen blows compared to the last one.

"the Wii went after the casuals and had motion controls. I personally really dislike the motion controller of the Wii, i dont even consider the Wii a console because of its control input (its not a controller for me). I dont know for me the Wii is the last console i would buy, and i think the Wii-U is a huge improvement. At least i can consider buying a Wii-U one day. "

Interesting that you don't consider buttons and movement as controls.

"The wii was very underpowered it was even weaker than the first Xbox, with the Wii-U at least it is a bit stronger than the 360 and PS3. The Bayonetta 1 port shows."

The wii u is much stronger than ps360 and the port of Bayonetta is a bad example for that..

Last generation was probably my fovorite gen since I was a kid playing the NES and SNES. This generation has been a bit slow out of the gates, but the number of games coming out this year is really looking good. The number of games I want to play will far exceed the time I will have to put into them, and I only expect it to get better after E3 and the announcements of new projects.

I agree with the OP about the Wii being horrible for core gamers, focus on media which drove up costs of PS3, high failure of Xbox 360, etc. However overall Gen 7 had many really great games.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
binary solo said:
curl-6 said:

This.

At this point last gen we had exciting new IP like Bioshock, Wii Sports, Uncharted, Gears of War, Assassin's Creed...

Titanfall, Destiny, Bloodborne, Watchdogs, Shadow of Mordor.

Yes only one of those new IP is next gen only. But they are all new IP that came out after the current gen started and are best experienced (aside from PC) on the nextgen consoles.

This gen has certainly started with a lot more high profile disappointments. But there isn't a lack of quality new IP that's come out since the generation started.

I found Titanfall, Destiny, Bloodborne, and Watch Dogs to be thoroughly underwhelming. As for Shadow of Mordor, Lord of the Rings has been a video game IP for a long time now, I remember playinng The Third Age on the original Xbox.

The wii was a console that had plenty of great games, many of which went completely under the radar as sites spent more time talking up whatever blockbuster AAA title was currently slathered across their advertising spaces Ive also never heard anyone outside of internet forums complain about the wii controller. Simply enough if there was a game on wii people wanted to play, they just played it and the controller was never an issue.

Last gen was a great gen before the dodgy DLC and microtransactions started becoming a tad too commonplace. This gen however has so far been undercooked, with too many cross gen titles and exclusives that have been either mediocre compared to their predecessors or just plain bad (bloodborne is exempt from this).

This gen can still be better than last gen, it has plenty of time to do that. But it's stumbling at the moment.

The worst thing about 7th gen was the rise of the bro gamer Call of Duty mainstream demographic causing the decline of nearly all non shooter and non sports genres.

this is why people are wrong about the wii:

1. it was backwards compatible with the gamecube and allows you to play all those games at 480p affordably.
2. a large amount of games either didn't use motion controls or allowed you to use a bajillion of other types of controllers.
3.it has the largest library of any nintendo console...or at least of their most recent consoles. yes, some of it is shovelware, but there's also cool stuff like the metal slug saga or Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

4. lest we forget about the extensive virtual console 

Agree a half of your opinion

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213