By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 7th Gen was the worst Console Gen ever: My opinion/Rant

I agree with much of what you say. The 7th generation was way too fps oriented. I hate fps'. It seems to be weakening some this generation and many Japanese series seem to be returning. I consider the 7th generation to be the dark age of gaming.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
I disagree, 7th gen was one of the best imo. 5th gen was the worst since I've been gaming (1994) imo.

I would like to know your reason on why you consider the 5th gen  the worst.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Ruler said:

So a lot of people give sh#t on this console generation saying its the worst generation ever but i think its a huge improvement over last gen. Here is why

- and motion controlls in general are finnally death in this generation, rip wii mote, playstation move, eyetoy and the kinect. Its finnally gone like a lot of other gimmicks like 3D.

I hate to break it to you but VR anbd AR are looking to re-popularise motion controls in a big way. If those formats become popular in the mainstream then expect motion controls to come back with a vengeance. People who have tried Mopheus have said how much more awesome Move controls are for VR than using the DS4. VR implementation may finally be what gets CoD and Battlefield into motion controls because there will finally be motion controls for at least 2 of the 3 main platforms for those franchises (PS4 and PC)

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

The 7th generation had the most good games overall, but fewer masterpieces in comparison to 4-6. Now that I look back at the 7th gen, there are so many games that I was into then, but are forgettable now. I would include many 7th gen GOTY games in the forgettable category as well.

Lube Me Up

shikamaru317 said:
mjk45 said:

I would like to know your reason on why you consider the 5th gen  the worst.

It was just not that good of a gen for me personally. For starters, early 3D graphics were not that good. Secondly, I was a Sega fan 4th gen and Sega really dropped the ball 5th gen; Saturn was expensive, most of the best Saturn games were never localized, Sega didn't make a main series Sonic game that gen, etc. I played a few PS1 games at a friend's house, none of them impressed me all that much. Bought an N64, only found a few games I liked on it (Super Smash Bros. and a few others). The highlights of 5th gen for me were mostly on Gameboy Color (Pokemon) and PC.

I see , it wasn't that the gen was bad games wise more the fact that you had issues with your main focus at that time Sega I can understand that.

About early 3d graphics I agree and disagree yes they haven't aged well but at the time  they ranged from ok to pretty impressive , its only the fact that there has been vast improvements over time has made people forget that they where a step up from earlier vector graphics and for many people at that playing in a 3d world was new  and immersive still every one has their own preferences , still with the PS1 catalogue being large and diverse for the time I can't help feel you missed some great games.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Machina said:

Mediocre sequels, remasters, crap new IP (The Order, Ryse, Knack..... ... .. .), more sequels, and yet more sequels - that is this gen so far in a nutshell.

This.

At this point last gen we had exciting new IP like Bioshock, Wii Sports, Uncharted, Gears of War, Assassin's Creed...

Titanfall, Destiny, Bloodborne, Watchdogs, Shadow of Mordor.

Yes only one of those new IP is next gen only. But they are all new IP that came out after the current gen started and are best experienced (aside from PC) on the nextgen consoles.

This gen has certainly started with a lot more high profile disappointments. But there isn't a lack of quality new IP that's come out since the generation started.

This cycle there's going to be a longer transition to new-gen only games because the last gen install base is just so huge when you combine PS3 and 360 that it is very hard to justify not making a past gen version of multiplat games unless you are going for games that are technically highly demanding that are "impossible to achieve the vision" on last gen hardware. Last gen, there was almost no reason to make an Xbox game less than 1 year after 360 came out, and of course MS took Xb og off the market very quickly. GC disappeared very fast too, which meant there was only the ps2 that was worth considering supporting. Even then the PS2 install base when gen 7 started was far below the PS360 install base at the start of gen 8. So it was easier to justify making a gen 7 only game early in the cycle. And of course Sony needed to convince people to buy a PS3, so they really couldn't afford to release cross gen 1st party titles. And of course Sony and MS had moved to HD, 6th gen consoles had no HD capability.

Having said all that, I disagree with the OP that the 7th gen was a dog. It had tons of brilliant games and brilliant new IP, and I think there will always be a place for motion control gaming, just not as the primary UI for gaming. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

RolStoppable said:
I don't buy your story.

I don't either and I fell for the damn title, the story didn't really feel much like a 7th gen evaluation and history but more of "here's what the PS4 can do, The Wii is less gimmicky, Xbox one requires you to install all your games and 360 had a high failure rate, Wii was super casual and not considered a console, oh and PC gaming is dead".

OT:

I thought 7th gen was awesome, it had plenty of games I liked and competition was good rather than completely lop sided, I switched to PC shortly before 8th gen started but so far I don't see much of a reason to jump into 8th gen just yet, besides a Wii U which I've yet to buy but waiting for a price cut along with Splatoon, XB1 for me sometime next year and PS4 I've decided possibly never because it hardly interests me at all, anything I want from them is ported.

This gen definitely feels mesier though, especially when it comes to getting games to run as marketed and then having detbacks, 7th gen systems at the time were more powerful than some PC's back then but 8th gen isn't and it shows.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Keybladewielder said:

You lost me at at "i dont even consider the Wii a console because of its control input" 

^this.

7th generation will be looked back at as a golden age of gaming, before the collapse at the end of the 8th generation.

7th generation was amazing.. All I'll say to that.

8th Generation needs a lot of work. Remasters being shamelessly pumped out. Games that felt more like tech demos like The Order and Ryse... And broken games galore. I won't call the 8th Gen a wash, because there's some good games to play. However, the 8th Gen consoles aren't as powerful if we look at relative specs from previous generations. (By that, I mean the gap between a console and a more powerful PC is smaller than ever)

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Wow, that's a lot of Wii hate. Is it my favorite console? No, but it has some amazing games, which by your wording indicates that you never owned one and likely didn't play it much.
It amazes me how people can dislike something that they don't have much experience with.
All three systems have their pros and cons last gen.
Btw, most hardware failures were HD, PSU, Disc Drive related. There were also issues with over heating (generally not console breaking) but that is due to a lack of proper cooling. So. No, most of it has nothing or little to do with the processors.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.