By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 7th Gen was the worst Console Gen ever: My opinion/Rant

KLXVER said:
Nem said:

Ok, well... im surprised to hear that. I dont think they transitioned very well to 7th gen at all because most bankrupted and closed. But for sure, there are some good games on 7th gen. I just dont think there are nearly as many as in the 5th one.

We desperately need to agree to disagree...

Agreed. :)

Around the Network
Ruler said:

But this generation there is no point owning a pc for me if youre interrested in playing a lot of different games. Because the pc has the least amount of AAA games.

I highly doubt that the PC has the least amount of AAA games. PS4 has more AAA games than XBO or WiiU, so let's compare PS4 / PC.

Which ones did the PS4 get which weren't released for PC? Bloodborne, TLoU:R, InFamous: Second Son, DriveClub, The Order 1886, Killzone: Shadow Fall and Destiny... 7 games if I haven't forgotten one.

On the other hand there are a lot of AAA games you can play on PC (most of them in 1080p / 60 fps or higher), but not on PS4 (yet): Civilization: Beyond Earth, The Sims 4, Assetto Corsa, Assassin's Creed: Rogue, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Titanfall, Alien: Isolation, BioShock: Infinite, Deus Ex 3: Director's Cut, Far Cry 3... all AAA games which were released after the beginning of the 8th console gen. And with no backwards incompatibily issues you can play a lot of older AAA games with maxed settings on a new PC: every Assassin's Creed, BioShock, Mass Effect, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Half-Life, FIFA, Diablo, Starcraft, Civilization, Tomb Raider ... game and many more.

PC doesn't get many exclusives (because there is no point in keeping games exclusive when no one pays for the exclusivity), but you have the biggest selection of AAA games of any platform... and in most cases the prettiest version of the game.

i liked the 7th generation a lot and im now enjoying the 8th one a lot as well and if japanese 3rd parties support the PS4 more this gen (which is what seems to be happening now with all the announcements and already released awesome games like Bloodborne) then i will enjoy this gen even more than the last one.

Here's my take:

The video game industry started slowly and clumsily with the first and second generations, then burst into the modern age with the third generation. The industry peaked during the fourth, fifth, and sixth generations, and then entered into a decadent period during the seventh. The eighth, so far, has continued the negative aspects of the seventh.

So, while I agree the seventh was a step down from the sixth, and that it began in earnest many of the cynical business practices and game design problems that define modern video games, I think it's far from the worst. A handful of great games like Super Mario Galaxy, BioShock, Demon's Souls, and Xenoblade Chronicles save it from that title.

Huh? The 7th gen was great! There were a lot of excellent games on all 3 consoles, and there were some motion control games that were cool, like Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, the Trauma Center series, and Mario Party 8...

So far, this game seems really lacking compared to last gen, at least with the PS4/XB1. They don't have any games I'm interested at all! Where are the JRPGs and stylistic games??? : ( This gen still has a way to go...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

7th gen just went on a little too long. If it only lasted 5 instead of 6 years I think we'd appreciate it more. That said, I preferred 7th gen (Wii motion controls and all) to this gen. The amount of games on every console is a fraction of what last gen had, and while we have absolutely amazing games, we had just as many with the same quality last gen. Nintendo alone (just talking about 3rd party) we had 2 Galaxies, 2 Metroids (Prime 3 and Other M, let alone the trilogy), Fire Emblem, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Xenoblade, Smash, Kart, Sin and Punishment, Animal Crossing, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Kart, Smash, Punch Out, Kirby, ect.

I will be excited about the return of Star Fox, and I know I'm looking at the entire 1st party of games spanning across 6 years, but if you take that with all the 3rd party games (2 Crystal Chronicles games,  Silent Hill, a TON of Dragon Quest games, ect) there was just an absolute avalanche of good games.

But as I said, it just went on for too long....

bigtakilla said:

I will be excited about the return of Star Fox, and I know I'm looking at the entire 1st party of games spanning across 6 years, but if you take that with all the 3rd party games (2 Crystal Chronicles games, 2 Silent Hills, a TON of Dragon Quest Sword games, ect) there was just an absolute avalanche of good games.

I can only think of Shattered Memories for the Wii?

Honestly, I think this gen has been a lot more lacking compared to last gen.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

KLXVER said:
bigtakilla said:

I will be excited about the return of Star Fox, and I know I'm looking at the entire 1st party of games spanning across 6 years, but if you take that with all the 3rd party games (2 Crystal Chronicles games, 2 Silent Hills, a TON of Dragon Quest Sword games, ect) there was just an absolute avalanche of good games.

I can only think of Shattered Memories for the Wii?

You know what, you're absolutly right.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Gears of War, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last of Us, Pandora's Towers, Monster Hunter Tri, Borderlands...
No, you're wrong.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]