By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is Going Under (Doomed)... Market Cap at 24 Billion; Highest in 4 Years

Slarvax said:
Can you guys stop playing victim? There has been no "Doom" threads for quite some time. Nobody is saying Nintendo is doomed, only your sarcastic posts.

Around the Network
Maraccuda said:
Clearly doomed. There is no doubt about it.

On a serious note, I know their stock boomed after mobile announcements but I just wish they will use a lot of this money to make their home consoles better and more games.

Market cap rise doesn't mean more money available. Just that the Market think your company is worth more money if sold.

And it's funny to see ninty fans happy about it when it was caused by the Mobile announcement (that in a way is being 3rd party) when a lot of them were so against this strategy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

thismeintiel said:
Mummelmann said:
The market cap exploded after their announcements of going mobile and signs of actually trying to change things for the future. Should they fail to deliver on these changes and create a viable business venture for the long term; this market cap can easily tumble again, with the added bonus of massive wads of actual cash reserves being spent on investment, re-structuring, R&D and large scale software output to get the gears going.

In short; everything could be a whole lot worse within a couple of years' time.

That said; I think they'll do fine, I'm glad to see them starting to think outside the box and take action in the face of declines and the changing market but I wish they hadn't spent the last few years floundering about.
Doomed, they are not, but they're not out of the woods yet either, a surge in stock on the back of promising news following a long period of declines and poor performance is quite common but doesn't always constitute a miraculous resurrection or comeback by default.

Very true.  As long as the mobile games are actual experiences and not quick, cheap tie-in games, they should do well in the mobile market.  I also think that the NX handheld side of things will do as well as the 3DS.  However, the home console side of things probably will see as much success as the Wii U.  It'll have too much competition from a $199 PS4 and a looming, much more powerful PS5 (which Sony will most likely launch at $399, again.)

You really think that next Nintendo home console will be success like Wii U!?

Nintendo made series of serious mistakes with Wii U, like horribly name for console, very bad and poor marketing, software drought, hardware not compiling for 3rd party, unused gamepad in games by Nintendo himself....Nintendo would need to try really hard to make again that series of serious mistakes.

Nintendo learned their lessons with Wii U, plus their next handheld will have very strong integration with home console and that too will affect on home console sale.

DanneSandin said:
Mummelmann said:
The market cap exploded after their announcements of going mobile and signs of actually trying to change things for the future. Should they fail to deliver on these changes and create a viable business venture for the long term; this market cap can easily tumble again, with the added bonus of massive wads of actual cash reserves being spent on investment, re-structuring, R&D and large scale software output to get the gears going.

In short; everything could be a whole lot worse within a couple of years' time.

That said; I think they'll do fine, I'm glad to see them starting to think outside the box and take action in the face of declines and the changing market but I wish they hadn't spent the last few years floundering about.
Doomed, they are not, but they're not out of the woods yet either, a surge in stock on the back of promising news following a long period of declines and poor performance is quite common but doesn't always constitute a miraculous resurrection or comeback by default.

This! Lets see how things play out with their mobile strategy, and later on, the NX. But I gotta say, its easy being optimistic over Nintendos future, at least their business future. All I hope is that they dont neglect the consoles...

There are two major signs for me that they'll do fine, or even great in the future; one being the fact that they're actually undergoing some rather heavy, and much needed, reform and the other being that they've actually allied themselves with someone who is an expert in a field they're going after. The one major component missing from the equation now is allowing their Western branches much more influence across the board; that's a vital part of remaining relevant and desireable in the Western markets, where they have been seeing the slowest movements lately. I believe this is coming as well, in time.

Nintendo's franchises will fit perfectly on the mobile devices and they do things right, it can become a lasting gold mine. I do wonder what the proponents of the UNITY thread would have to say about it though, since smart devices and the mobile gaming market was described as nothing but a bubble and a fad...

Nintendo is doomed thats why they went with Mobiles and now the stocks raised double because of Mobiles which proved that others are right nintendo is doomed in very near future. If they did not go for Mobiles then for sure they are doomed like most predicted before. There is no place for them in Home console and can stay alive on handhelds only for few more years in future as relevant and then they are done in Both home console and Handhelds. Only way they are can survive is through mobiles, 3rd party or if they found a new gimmick(QOL?) just like Wii to attract casuals.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
24bn! Isn't that double then when the Wii was around?

No, i think it's about 3.5 times less than it was after the Wii launched ($85 billion), though their shares fell quite steeply towards the end of 2008 so the gap was smaller in the latter half of its life. It's approaching double their early-2013 market cap though, which is a good sign ^^

Now Nintendo just need to fulfill the expectations the market currently has of them.

You guys have some strange celebration/good news threads for nintendo.....

Slarvax said:
Can you guys stop playing victim? There has been no "Doom" threads for quite some time. Nobody is saying Nintendo is doomed, only your sarcastic posts.

Slarvax knows. Merely making joke-y posts about it only perpetuates the issue and people actually forget about the good news which is coming from this thread. 

And it is good news. I'm not sure if it means a whole lot in the grand scheme of things but it's still good news.

EDIT- I see other people have said the same. Slowgamer confirmed. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Miyamotoo said:
thismeintiel said:

Very true.  As long as the mobile games are actual experiences and not quick, cheap tie-in games, they should do well in the mobile market.  I also think that the NX handheld side of things will do as well as the 3DS.  However, the home console side of things probably will see as much success as the Wii U.  It'll have too much competition from a $199 PS4 and a looming, much more powerful PS5 (which Sony will most likely launch at $399, again.)

Nintendo made series of serious mistakes with Wii U, like horribly name for console, very bad and poor marketing, software drought, hardware not compiling for 3rd party, unused gamepad in games by Nintendo himself....Nintendo would need to try really hard to make again that series of serious mistakes.

Nintendo learned their lessons with Wii U, plus their next handheld will have very strong integration with home console and that too will affect on home console sale.

Nintendo's troubles in the home console market has less to do with any grave mistakes they have made and more to do with stiff competition.  They made no real mistakes with the SNES, yet it sold less than the NES.  Why? Because the Genesis was also popular and provided good competition.  And aside from the Wii, all of their consoles have declined in sales/interest from its predecessor.  The Wii U will continue that trend, even when compared to the Gamecube, and sell ~20M-21M.

thismeintiel said:
Miyamotoo said:
thismeintiel said:

Nintendo's troubles in the home console market has less to do with any grave mistakes they have made and more to do with stiff competition.  They made no real mistakes with the SNES, yet it sold less than the NES.  Why? Because the Genesis was also popular and provided good competition.  And aside from the Wii, all of their consoles have declined in sales/interest from its predecessor.  The Wii U will continue that trend, even when compared to the Gamecube, and sell ~20M-21M.

Those Wii U grave mistakes are responsible for projected Wii U LT sale to 15-20m.

Wii U will be worst selling Nintendo home console, and you expect next home console to sell same!?

Like I wrote, Nintendo would need to try really hard to make again that series of serious mistakes and sell next home console bad like Wii U.