By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is Going Under (Doomed)... Market Cap at 24 Billion; Highest in 4 Years

Lawlight said:
Stock price is not the reason people are saying Nintendo is doomed though.

Nintendo is doomed since 1889, thats all you need to know. People still waiting when only direction Nintendo is going is UP!

Around the Network

The last twitch on its death bed.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

If their plan is for Nintendo to bury itself in cash they are doing it right.

tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
Stock price is not the reason people are saying Nintendo is doomed though.

Nintendo is doomed since 1889, thats all you need to know. People still waiting when only direction Nintendo is going is UP!

The truth is that Nintendo as you knew it is actually doomed. They will make billions from, maybe mobile games or other segments (and for a while longer, their handheld), but their console is becoming less and less relevant. And I believe Iwata has seen that coming which is why Nintendo has now started making mobile games and are moving into QoL.

Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:

The truth is that Nintendo as you knew it is actually doomed. They will make billions from, maybe mobile games or other segments (and for a while longer, their handheld), but their console is becoming less and less relevant. And I believe Iwata has seen that coming which is why Nintendo has now started making mobile games and are moving into QoL.

Yeap doom since 1889!!!

Around the Network

I remember when people talked so much about how Nintendo is doomed that the mods had to step in and make abuse of Nintendoom a bannable offense. Let's not sink to that level again, shall we?

Mummelmann said:
The market cap exploded after their announcements of going mobile and signs of actually trying to change things for the future. Should they fail to deliver on these changes and create a viable business venture for the long term; this market cap can easily tumble again, with the added bonus of massive wads of actual cash reserves being spent on investment, re-structuring, R&D and large scale software output to get the gears going.

In short; everything could be a whole lot worse within a couple of years' time.

That said; I think they'll do fine, I'm glad to see them starting to think outside the box and take action in the face of declines and the changing market but I wish they hadn't spent the last few years floundering about.
Doomed, they are not, but they're not out of the woods yet either, a surge in stock on the back of promising news following a long period of declines and poor performance is quite common but doesn't always constitute a miraculous resurrection or comeback by default.

This! Lets see how things play out with their mobile strategy, and later on, the NX. But I gotta say, its easy being optimistic over Nintendos future, at least their business future. All I hope is that they dont neglect the consoles...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:

Its going to be very interesting to see Nintendo going forward. The Fusion idea might prove to be quite successful; at long last a console Nintendo themselves can support alone. That might sell 50m+ maybe even 75m+. Lets not act as if Nintendos console business is doomed.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:

Doesn't matter. The Nintendo that made playing cards is doomed. Same with the Nintendo that ran Love hotels and sold vacuums door to door. Every business evolves or perishes, and Nintendo marches on. 

24bn! Isn't that double then when the Wii was around?