By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo console decline vs Nintendo handheld incline

Chazore said:
Samus Aran said:

Don't get a Wii U for Bayonetta 2. That's the only game I can think of that isn't on Wii. It's very overrated, but I'm the minority in that.

You won't like Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. 4, Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Yoshi's Woolly World, Zelda U, xenoblade chronicles x, Pikmin 3, etc. if you didn't like the Wii games.

What are the titles you're interested in? I might be able to help you further then by giving suggestions.

But I loved the first Bayo, the 2nd is something I've been meaning to grab along with WW HD (never played the original), Zelda U, XBCX, HW and maybe Mario Kart 8.

It's not that I need help, I do my own research a lot of the time that I wait for platform libraries to grow and pick from them in what interests me the most from each.

Like I said, I'm in the minority that didn't like it. :p

Get Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii U VC though! :)

Around the Network

I see the Wii U and 3DS being more for the hardcore gamer so I see the next platforms being more for Nintendo fans and casuals

I would actually say the rise of the PS brand took a big chunk out of Ninten`s console sales. The biggest decline was in the 64 - GC time, which the PS made its rise. It was so massive, I wouldn`t be surprised if they left the Ninten console in the dust. I guess handhelds were cheaper to get, so perhaps more kids and more casual people get them.

The Wii turned things around quite a lot, selling leaps over any of its previous consoles, although the DS also went leaps and bounds.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I hope Nintendo finds success with their next generation.
I really don't wanna see them go down the toilet.
They should partner with Microsoft to make a console :P
That would be a beast

1doesnotsimply

Cloudman said:
I would actually say the rise of the PS brand took a big chunk out of Ninten`s console sales. The biggest decline was in the 64 - GC time, which the PS made its rise. It was so massive, I wouldn`t be surprised if they left the Ninten console in the dust. I guess handhelds were cheaper to get, so perhaps more kids and more casual people get them.

The Wii turned things around quite a lot, selling leaps over any of its previous consoles, although the DS also went leaps and bounds.

The N64 to GC was actually the smallest decline

NES-62 million

SNES-49 million, 13 million drop

N64-33 million, 16 million drop

GC-22 million, 11 million drop

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Cloudman said:

The N64 to GC was actually the smallest decline

NES-62 million

SNES-49 million, 13 million drop

N64-33 million, 16 million drop

GC-22 million, 11 million drop

Oh, it`s interesting that Ninten didn`t fall that far down from the N64 to the GC, although the overall decline is still pretty bad...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

zorg1000 said:

As for consumers, yes it's debatable, but the way I see it, what benefit is it to have 3 nearly identical machines on the market at once? An increase in options and variety is always a good thing.

Yes but, if Nintendo had a machine as powerful as PS4, and all of PS4's third party support, wouldn't Nintendo's IP BE what seperates it from the rest? 

Nintendo simply can't sell consoles en masse anymore unless they have a successful gimmick.

People don't want toy-like consoles or anything kid-like about their home platforms anymore, you have to be "cool" and aimed at 18-19 year olds first and foremost, something Nintendo isn't good at.

That and the home console market is basically now all in the West, and the new generation of Western gamers have tastes that Nintendo doesn't understand.

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

Thats debatable, but whatever...

Well like I said, Nintendo's casual games and consoles are much more popular than their "hardcore" games and consoles so it's not really debatable which strategy is better for Nintendo.

As for consumers, yes it's debatable, but the way I see it, what benefit is it to have 3 nearly identical machines on the market at once? An increase in options and variety is always a good thing.

Let the machines be what they are.... Nintendo has the software that sets them apart.

All this gimmicky stuff, just sets nintendo farther back.

They need a normal and simple controller, thats cheap, so the machine can be powerfull.

The end.

Thats all nintendo has to do to make a comback.

JRPGfan said:
zorg1000 said:

Well like I said, Nintendo's casual games and consoles are much more popular than their "hardcore" games and consoles so it's not really debatable which strategy is better for Nintendo.

Let the machines be what they are.... Nintendo has the software that sets them apart.

All this gimmicky stuff, just sets nintendo farther back.

They need a normal and simple controller, thats cheap, so the machine can be powerfull.

The end.

Thats all nintendo has to do to make a comback.

That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at things. I'm assuming the point of having a powerful console, with a basic controller is to attract 3rd parties and get all the big multiplat titles that Playstation/Xbox recieve.

The only way that benefits Nintendo is if said titles sell well and move consoles for Nintendo. Now in order for these games to sell strong numbers and move hardware is by stealing sales from the other consoles. What exactly is going to make the millions of people who play games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Watch Dogs, Destiny, Need for Speed, Elder Scrolls, NBA 2K, etc jump ship and buy Nintendo hardware instead of Playstation/Xbox?

There has to be some type of incentive for these gamers to choose Nintendo's box over Sony's or Microsoft's. Is it Nintendo's 1st party offerings? Probably not since the majority of Nintendo's ip aren't aimed at the same demographic as AAA western 3rd party titles. Is the person who buys the annual release of Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, their favorite sport game, a racing Sim and whatever the big overhyped game of the year happens to be, going to choose Nintendo's box because of the like of Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Pikmin, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade? No probably not.

The only way that these people would move onto Nintendo's box is basically if one or both of the competitors make huge mistakes like $600 launch price or RROD or DRM/always online fiasco. Let's say Sony makes a big mistake, wouldn't these gamers be more likely to jump ship to Xbox since for about a decade now, Playstation & Xbox have been known for offering up similar experiences and vice versa? Basically Sony & Microsoft need to make huge mistakes for these gamers to jump ship to Nintendo and if ur strategy is banking on the others to fail than u have a pretty messed up strategy.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.