By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Humanity desperately needs a new religion

You're making a few big assumptions. "humans are more entitled now than ever before"
How do you know that's the result of secularism? I'd wager the level of entitlement doesn't drop off that much when you include the still religious folk. While this just a theory, and don't have any evidence, it's a possibility that higher entitlement is the result of higher economic success, and nothing to do with religion.

Your evaluation of art covers only the material that seems to support what you're saying. There is plenty of art that surpasses anything that has come before.
The "toxic" stuff may be more popular, but is more influential? Uncertain, but possible not given the idea that the as a work is made more massive in its appeal, the amount people care about it wains. The fewer people understand a joke, the more those few will laugh, and the reverse can be observed as well.

Loud status translating to authority? That's certainly a problem, but that's always been the case. It isn't something at all new.

At the end of the day, while we may need more emphasis on morals other than attainment (financial or material) I think the inflation of the ego is a problem, but the importance of individuality is a net positive.
It's easy to look at the 'good old days' and smile, but just remember, there was a lot of crap as well. It's the people in charge who write the history books, and there have always been selfish, shallow and greedy people in the hundreds of millions.
"...freedom as we know it is severely overrated" ? That's a worrying thing to hear someone say. No what we need is more emphasis on the responsibility that comes with freedom.

Around the Network
Ostro said:
ganoncrotch said:

Do you really need to believe there is some bearded figure in the clouds who smiles to himself and gives you a little tick on a sheet each time you get up in the morning go to work and don't murder everyone?

That is a pretty worrying thought.

(Modern) religion is not about worshiping God and basing your life on "his" ideals. It seems you don't know what religion is about or just try to march against it in an extreme way to gather followers. Nobody would say the bible is law (except for extreme people). Most people know it's about metaphors and everyday situations and how to "master" them in a way without harming anyone. If you want to be extreme about it and say religious people are all fanatics and living by some old script, you are not any better than exactly that minority in terms of being extreme and a weird guy in this world.

Yes, there's weird stories in there and you can say those are thousands of years old. Still, the meaning behind them is always relevant. Just to throw in another extreme statement: people who don't see the meaning of religious stories and religions themselves are either ignorant/narrow minded or unintelligent :P

Inbefore shitstorm, I'm an atheist btw.

In your first 7 words you have generalised religion to the point of rendering all after it void.

Don't really see what the bold has to do with what you put above it nor what I said would have to do with trying to gather followers, you have clearly invested a lot of time and effort into religion and have labeled yourself an Atheist in the hopes that means you can get away with petty insults on those who write 2 lines you don't agree with.

Anyway. I see importance in religion for the elderly and those in need of someone to blame for issues in their lives (AA, NA etc.) it really is important for some people to think that their pain is not directly their own doing or that a 3rd party is testing their will with such issues or the realization of their mortality. Most healthy educated people shouldn't be spending any amount of time on the subject tho, there is a lot more can be done than asking a cosmic superbeing "why?" in my opinion.

There are some people who love religion tho and who are happy as a result of their love, and I think that is great. Personally I find it's not for me tho and I think those who threaten, hurt and murder people based on their religious beliefs do massive harm in the media against the moderate gains to be had from relgions existance. If you were to do a pros/cons on religion as a whole you would be hard pressed to compare that warm fuzzy feeling of thanking cloud man for the food that was GM grown and the lives lost to religious extremist murders in France or 9/11 then you're going to have a hard time balancing that out.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

What a dumb thread. Do you like causing drama here??

As a Christian I like my beliefs. They are mine. It's what I believe. It does not affect you at all. And I don't "jam my religion down your throat".

To be honest I don't really give a fuck what you believe. I have Christian friends, Muslim friends, atheist, buddist and other believing friends. It's just what they believe (or don't believe).

For all the talk about how Christians interfere and hate on atheism, you're doing the exact same thing with Christians. Not 100% of Christians get into your religious business or try to constantly convert you over. I might tell you what I believe and why I believe it; and just as well be interested to hear what you believe and why so.

But this Christian hating needs to stop. You're only making an endless cycle where Christians are hated against by atheists so naturally atheists are then hated against by Christians.

Keep your shit to yourself. I don't care what's logical and scientific. It's what I believe.

What i believe gets me through my day just as whatever you believe or don't gets you through yours. So stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours.

Bunch of crybabies is what you sound like. Not aiming that at all atheists. That's aimed at everybody who keeps bickering back and forth.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

CosmicSex said:
As medicine improves and fear of dying dissipates, religion will naturally go extinct.

Faith doesnt come from the fear of dying.

...altho it is true that there are no atheists in foxholes (which proves how shallow and weak atheist belief really is) but even that is mostly about the fear of immediate death, which i dont think it was your point

I can imagine much worse then the current society. Another religion to force people ibto behaving a certain way will just create more suffering. just because some people are talking drivel on twitter facebook and fet likes for it doesnt make this society bad. Scientific progress and technological progress are at an all time high. EEverything develops very fast. This is what ultimatly matters the rest is just background noise and will be forgotten sooner or later

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

A common opinion in our secular society is that religious influence hinders progression. It is said that humanity is held back by superstitions and unfounded values, resulting in delayed scientific advancements while paving the way for discrimination and bigotry.

On first glance this may seem like a perfectly reasonable argument to make. After all, excerpts from the Old Testament clearly condemn homosexual acts and have been used through the ages to justify discrimination of homosexual individuals while there has been numerous cases of religious groups and societies destroying scientific works, deeming it blasphemous. At this point, however, there are two things that need to be considered:

1. These are isolated occurrences. The only thing that has been proven is that religion can be detrimental to societal progression.

2. The alternative to religion is even worse.

So what is this alternative? Just plain atheism? No, this issue runs far deeper than that.

In spite of all the bad things that religion has caused, there is one thing that it did absolutely right: It kept the human population in check, preventing it from fully expressing itself the way it desired. Today, when religion is largely seen as something that you leave at home when going to work, the dire consequences of our recent liberation are becoming increasingly apparent:

- People today are more entitled than ever before. They watch movies and listen to music for free, oftentimes illegally, then shamelessly go on to criticize its content on the internet. The youth has no problem asking their parents for new smarthphones and tablets every year, even if they are in a frail financial situation. Ungratefulness and poor manners spread like a disease as all responsibility is shifted towards someone else, oftentimes a politician or caretaker.

- Popular culture is more intellectually toxic than ever before. People have no second thoughts about idolizing even the most dimwitted celebrities; claiming to reward their "open-mindedness". Repetitive, vulgar songs regularly reach the top in terms of revenue and recognition. Simple, cheap video games are favored by the masses over games with extensive lore and great thought behind its music and gameplay concept.  What was previously known as "art" is gradually replaced with uninspired, provocative works as interest in true art fades away. And the list goes on and on.

- Critical thinking is overlooked. Instead, in a truly animalistic fashion, the loudest voice is the one that holds the most authority. Namely, the person who receives the most likes on youtube/facebook, the person with the most followers on twitter and the person whose reviews has the most readers. Popularity declares whether your word holds any value, rather than the word's content itself.

Needless to say, it has never been more apparent that freedom as we know it is severely overrated. When people have no god to look up to, they worship themselves and their own ideals in its place regardless of how destructive those ideals may be to the growth of our species.

As a non-believer myself I don't know how exactly this new religion should be formed or what beliefs it should entail. All I know is that the liberty that the people of today has obtained is unbridled and needs to be restrained as soon as possible if we are to solve this issue. Otherwise, the human population may never be humble again.

The issue I always take when people are hyperbolic about the doom of the present is how they preceive the past.  Human beings through out history were awful creatures through modern soceities' gaze.  We butchered, enslaved and oppressed people for centuries.

The hardest thing for many seems to be admitting that we live right now in the golden age of humanity and civilization.  There are no "good old days" for humanity as a whole.   Some rnadom exmaples of recent good news. Unintended pregenancies have declined dramatically over past generation.  Infant mortality has declined globally to record lows.  In the past 50 years more humans have climbed out of abolute poverty than did the prior five hundred.  Nations such as China, India and Brasil have seen dramatic shifts in those that earn over a dollar a day since 1990. The quality of life for women globally has increased with access to education and literacy climbing to recrod highs.

My point is things have always "sucked" based on the expectations of people. We are a flawed species based on our own lofty goals for ourselves.  However, we should celebrate that we suck less than we did 50 years ago and way less than 100 years ago.  

Kane1389 said:
CosmicSex said:
As medicine improves and fear of dying dissipates, religion will naturally go extinct.

Faith doesnt come from the fear of dying.

...altho it is true that there are no atheists in foxholes (which proves how shallow and weak atheist belief really is) but even that is mostly about the fear of immediate death, which i dont think it was your point

There have been atheists in foxholes across numerous nationalities.  We should aim to be civil in discourse rather than make baseless statements intended to insult others.

Yes, keep up trying to fight the religious traditions of the west. Will make it easier for muslims to make slaves off you in a few decades. You deserve it.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

It must be lonely in here for Smeags. Keep at it sir.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
It must be lonely in here for Smeags. Keep at it sir.

It's awful.

Awful.

@ The content in this thread

If we cannot treat one another like fellow human beings and show some basic respect (And I don't give a damn of what type of ist or ism you throw yourself under), then how can we possibly move past that point to share ideas and discuss with one another? We can't. And we wont tolerate any more of this petty and vitriolic behavior. You all have shown that you're just not ready for this type of discussion yet. If we're just going to sit in our prospective corners making uneducated generalizations or taking shots at those who don't believe what we believe, then there's no point in continuing this charade of a "discussion".

Again, to those of you who did partake in this discussion in a respectful and positive manner, I'm sorry that the others have tainted this for you.

gatito said:

What we need is to be more empathetic and compassionate, that's about it.

This is about the only thing I could fully agree with. And the ice cream part. That too.