By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Humanity desperately needs a new religion

JWeinCom said:
mornelithe said:

Exceptional book, got it last year.  Difficult read for someone who didn't make it through Physics.  But, Lawrence does a good job of trying to paraphrase and attach accompanying imagery to help the reader understand the math.

I didn't read the book, but I saw a lecture he did.  I'd like to read the book to supplement it.  I'm not an expert on physics, but I have enough of a grounding to understand the arguments being made.  I don't get the math entirely, but I get the underlying physics argument.  Like, I may not get the math behind calculating the curvature of space time in a galaxy, but I get why they can use the curvature and magnification to calculate mass.  

Well, that's what pushed me to get it.  I've been watching allot of his lectures/speeches/debates lately, and it piqued my curiosity.  Definitely recommend.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Mike_L said:

Exactly.

hehe, religiosity? Never heard that one before.

It is surprising to see the US higher on that scale than Israel though. Aren't Israel one of the few countries with a state religion still?

Israel is kind of a weird case.  Judaism is not only a religion, but also a culture.  Jews believed they were the chosen people of god, so there was no reason or mandate for them to convert others.  So, Jewish people share, for the most part, a common heritage.  So it's a culture and ethnicity in addition to being a religion.

Like, me for example.  I was born Jewish, and I don't have a problem identifying as Jewish, but I don't believe in the relgion in the least.   I'm also entitled to Israeli citizenship if I so chose.  I've never been to Israel, but I'd imagine that many people nominally profess a belief in Judaism, but don't strictly practice it.

We've already got prophets, creators, immortals, and intergalactic space overlords. I think the last thing we need is another religion.

There's enough chaos as it is.

JWeinCom said:

Oh boy...

At the risk of being modded, this is the most idiotic, logically inconsistent, intellectually dishonest, disgusting posts I have ever seen on this forum.  You have no basis for any of your beliefs, which you are presenting as fact.  You have no grounding in the history of religion, secularism, and how they have influenced society.  You propose limiting personal rights without any reason besides "I think this is bad", which is fucking disgusting beyond belief (and if you're going to try don't think of comparing my use of vulgar language to the idea that we should arbitrarily rob people of rights).  You attribute these "sins" to secularism as a whole, while boko harem and Isis are executing people?  When Christianity is destroying Uganda?  While the Catholic church is opposing contraception that would help curtail the aids epidemic?  While the Catholic Church is shuffling around pedophiles to protect their image?  While women in many islamic countries are not entitled to an education?  When protestants viewed it as their divine right to conquer America?  And you are comparing that to Jimmy streaming Man of Steel and bitching about it?   Get the fuck out of here. 

Ya, you might get modded, either way.  Let me ask you something.

Have you ever been to Uganda?  Have you personally witnessed a preist malesting a boy?  Have you personally been to islamic countries and looked upon women being not being allowed to have an education.  Were you there when the protestants conquered America?

Honestly, I would be seriously impressed if you answered yes to any of those.  

My next question is, why not?  You speak against them with strong passion, why haven't you gone over there and attempted to help?  Or are you attempting to help in some other fashion?  I'm not trying to spark, or win an argument, I'm asking honest questions.

I can't speak for something I haven't seen or done.  But I can speak for what I have seen and done.  And I have been apart of Churches who traveled down to mexico, and helped build houses for those that needed it, using money that we earned by washing cars, and other fundraisers.  I have used my own money to buy food for the homeless.  As well as help with homeless shelters that are being funded by churches.  I have gone out of my way to be with people who are having very difficult times (losing someone, losing a job etc.) and just sat there and prayed with them (if they asked) or just spent time with them if they didn't want to pray.  

All of this in the name of religion.  Again I can't speak for something I haven't seen, so I can't speak for the christians in Uganda, but from what I have seen with my own two eyes, there is a lot of good with religion.  

Could these things have been done outside of religion? sure, but they weren't.  And that's just the way it is.  The same thing applies for every atrocity that religion commited.  Could those things have been done outside of religion?  Absolutely (in most cases), but they weren't.

Bad stuff happens, you can blame it on other people all you want, but the only way to make anything better is if you physically go out there and make a difference.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Ok, I'll bite. Here's my idea for a "new religion". It only has two rules:

1) Don't be an asshole.

2) Treat your fellow humans, animals, and the environment with kindness and respect.

There ya go. That's it. No 2,000 year old fairy tales, no mystical Sky Wizard that watches what you do and helps you survive a car crash or win the Super Bowl. No facing East and praying 3 times a day, no burning heretics at the stake, no discrimination against two guys or girls who want to get married, no 1,000 year wars against those who believe in a different Sky Wizard than you, no immortal afterlife for those who have been "true believers".

Just the two rules above and the world would be a much better place.

Around the Network

Too much vitriol.

Too many unnecessary generalizations.

Too many reasons that are telling me you aren't ready for this sort of debate with one another. Kudos to those who can talk about this and criticize without resorting to name calling, mass generalizations, or demeaning fellow men and women. You can feel passionately about something without being disrespectful. But right now I'm only seeing complete disrespect and that's not gonna stand.

From the site rules:

You should avoid:
Insulting a person's religion, religious beliefs, race, sex, sexuality, nationality, political beliefs, gaming preferences, etc. Debate is encouraged, as is civil disagreement, but respect the beliefs and opinions of others.
Insulting any group without proper justification.

ratchet426 said:

Ok, I'll bite. Here's my idea for a "new religion". It only has two rules:

1) Don't be an asshole.

2) Treat your fellow humans, animals, and the environment with kindness and respect.

There ya go. That's it. No 2,000 year old fairy tales, no mystical Sky Wizard that watches what you do and helps you survive a car crash or win the Super Bowl. No facing East and praying 3 times a day, no burning heretics at the stake, no discrimination against two guys or girls who want to get married, no 1,000 year wars against those who believe in a different Sky Wizard than you, no immortal afterlife for those who have been "true believers".

Just the two rules above and the world would be a much better place.

Finally a religion that makes sense.

No new religion would change what you just said.
For some people, yes. Overall? No.

Creating something by man's hands won't solve it either. There's nothing real there to actually help change things.
Even if there was only on religion in the world, things wouldn't be different.

This is not a religion issue, it's an "I" issue.
Humanity is making a choice: they rather turn to themselves than to God. They rather blind themselves to their own reality (the makers of none) because they are taught that the "I" is above all and everyone.
It's an individual issue as it is a collective/community/society,etc. issue.

The world you see today - the one you complain about - didn't come from nothing. It came from a place where men is the center of all and not God.
The result is what you see. And believe me, it's going to get worse if that center isn't occupied by it's rightful "owner".

Ka-pi96 said:
Umm, no. It would be better for the existing ones to go away than to add to the problem.

Spot on

Mike_L said:

When was this graph made?

The Middle East is missing Saudi Arabia, UAE and other oil rich countries that would go for high Religiosity with probably high GDP, while Asia is missing China that would go for low Religiosity with high GDP.

And why is my GREAT (sarcasm) country not there? The Philippines would be the best example of high religiosity with low GDP. lol!