By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Humanity desperately needs a new religion

There is so much here that i need to take it in a few points.

1. Your two reasons. Isolated cases? Are you kidding me?! Countless cases of this. During every empire with its religion trying to enforce it. It happened in greece, in egypt, in rome, in the ottoman empire and most likely still happens in muslim countries. There is nothing isolated about it. Religions were created to mantain order through fear because there was no way to rule societies, therefore the best way was to create a method for them to oversee themselves. That is not the case anymore.

2. The alternative is better? Best ring all the people stoned, all the inquisitions and all the victim of holy wars because they may have to disagree with you.

3. How is beeing entitled a problem? Shifting the blame to the caretakers? So, what is the deal here? You think religion is necessary to educate a child? Well, i'm sure many people on this forum alone will disagree with you. A religion or the enforcement of a religion will just prolong the nefarious effects. Nowadays we have policement, we have the law, societies can be ruled without the threat of the afterdeath looming upon them. Leave that part for them to decide. 

I think the reason for what you are seeing as a problem is the internet, not societies themselves. The internet is a space where societies communicate under a cloak of anonimity and unclear consequences. That is something we will have to learn how to deal with as time goes by. The internet is very young still. A religion as an aswer to the internet seems like the wrong recipe for the problem. No use repeating mistakes of the past when we have the means to do something about it. For example, you see how Nintendo really tries to control their community in Miiverse and the lack of voice chat on Splatoon. That is the way they are trying to deal with this very problem, certainly without need for the religion of Nintendo to do it.

4. Critical thinking. So, i disagree with your acessment on this. Critical thinking isnt something that is up for populariy vote. Intelligence is recognised by intelligent people. While there may be many millions that like a youtube celebrity, there are many more that dont. You are feeling social pressure because of those numbers yourself, and you really shouldnt.

5. In conclusion, you are frustrated by the ever more connected and unruly internet and its effect in society, but the way to deal with this certainly isnt a new religion. 

I think it leads you to the realization that the people of the world aren't as clever as you thought. But, there are many people and the more intelligent wont engage themselves in shallow internet fads. For example the debate about what color the dress was was very clever and led to the debate of the inner workings of the human brain.

I am sure that new ways to police the internet will come, but as far as dumb people go, you will never be rid of them. Their existance is simply more apparant if you give them a megaphone behind an anonimity wall to yell from, but they have always been there.

Around the Network

My friends like to do this in Civ V, naming new religions such as AIDS and bonerfart.

If they aren't in charge, I lean towards no. If they are in charge, a strong no.

You do realize that making this Religion it would be made for no reason. No one would follow it because some guy has just made it up. I mean I know all of them are like that but you'd be able to prove it. No religion is the way forward.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Nem said:

There is so much here that i need to take it in a few points.

1. Your two reasons. Isolated cases? Are you kidding me?! Countless cases of this. During every empire with its religion trying to enforce it. It happened in greece, in egypt, in rome, in the ottoman empire and most likely still happens in muslim countries. There is nothing isolated about it. Religions were created to mantain order through fear because there was no way to rule societies, therefore the best way was to create a method for them to oversee themselves. That is not the case anymore.

2. The alternative is better? Best ring all the people stoned, all the inquisitions and all the victim of holy wars because they may have to disagree with you.

3. How is beeing entitled a problem? Shifting the blame to the caretakers? So, what is the deal here? You think religion is necessary to educate a child? Well, i'm sure many people on this forum alone will disagree with you. A religion or the enforcement of a religion will just prolong the nefarious effects. Nowadays we have policement, we have the law, societies can be ruled without the threat of the afterdeath looming upon them. Leave that part for them to decide. 

I think the reason for what you are seeing as a problem is the internet, not societies themselves. The internet is a space where societies communicate under a cloak of anonimity and unclear consequences. That is something we will have to learn how to deal with as time goes by. The internet is very young still. A religion as an aswer to the internet seems like the wrong recipe for the problem. No use repeating mistakes of the past when we have the means to do something about it. For example, you see how Nintendo really tries to control their community in Miiverse and the lack of voice chat on Splatoon. That is the way they are trying to deal with this very problem, certainly without need for the religion of Nintendo to do it.

4. Critical thinking. So, i disagree with your acessment on this. Critical thinking isnt something that is up for populariy vote. Intelligence is recognised by intelligent people. While there may be many millions that like a youtube celebrity, there are many more that dont. You are feeling social pressure because of those numbers yourself, and you really shouldnt.

5. In conclusion, you are frustrated by the ever more connected and unruly internet and its effect in society, but the way to deal with this certainly isnt a new religion. 

I think it leads you to the realization that the people of the world aren't as clever as you thought. But, there are many people and the more intelligent wont engage themselves in shallow internet fads. For example the debate about what color the dress was was very clever and led to the debate of the inner workings of the human brain.

I am sure that new ways to police the internet will come, but as far as dumb people go, you will never be rid of them. Their existance is simply more apparant if you give them a megaphone behind an anonimity wall to yell from, but they have always been there.

I think it would be silly to argue with this ^^
This pretty much covers why a new religion (or any for that matter) would be redundant.

Religion is a tool used to control those who are easily manipulated. Religion takes advantage of a populace, in order to suit their own agenda and to control others. 
It is quite often that stupid people are often those who make the most noise, so the attention is drawn to such people. Hell, a lot of celebrities that get media attention are arrogant and idiotic.

I decree the religion of VGC to be the religion of free ice cream.

Who's with me?!

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network
Skullwaker said:
I decree the religion of VGC to be the religion of free ice cream.

Who's with me?!

Do I have to join to get free Ice Cream?

RCTjunkie said:
Do I have to join to get free Ice Cream?

Is that even a question? This isn't a democracy. You either join and get everything or don't join and get nothing.

I call it Skullwakarianism.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

*tips fedora*
For one I like how my town is, and I wish more places were the same. More Islamic countries would've been like it if they weren't sent into a still on-going dark age in World War 1.

There will be a new religion (or maybe it exist already), they call Scientology that will be replace by Alientology and they worshiping materialism, atheism, science, and a man with one eye who can resurrect the dead, call a rain, cure incurable diseases , teleport from one place to another with the light of speed, and able to converse Muslim, Cristian and other religious person the their new religion. There movement already begun on ancient times with their world order campaign and work behind screens, It was predicted to be the false Messiah by Muslim and Cristian.

ArchangelMadzz said:
You do realize that making this Religion it would be made for no reason. No one would follow it because some guy has just made it up. I mean I know all of them are like that but you'd be able to prove it. No religion is the way forward.

Tell that to the scientologists. never underestimate the gullibility of human beings. The last thing the human race needs is yet another religion, I think the future will look down on this as one of the dark ages when it comes to religion, similiar to how we consider those now that worshiped the roman, pagan gods or the Myan gods.