By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Keep gaming pure! Do not buy Mortal Kombat X!

is dlc out of control?

yes 155 76.73%

no 46 22.77%

Total:201

If you wished to keep gaming pure, not purchasing Mortal Kombat X is not the solution. This problem comes from much, much earlier; now it's too late and this is something we'll have to deal with from now on.

I mean, Mortal Kombat X is a quality game on its own rights. Does it have bullshit practises? Yeah, it does. Should I refrain to purchase a great game because of it? No way. I want to enjoy MKX.

Around the Network

I'm a huge fan of the series, so i bought mkx, but i havent gotten any DLC.

Kudos for making the thread, I don't utterly agree with your points RubberWhistle but it takes some stones to throw together a thread to try to sway people away from making a purchase based on how you feel.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

AlfredoTurkey said:

o_O.Q said:

games were more expensive in the past

In 2005, PS2 games were $50.00 brand new. In 2015, that comes out to $60.00. The difference? Most of today's $60.00 games aren't complete like the $50.00 games on PS2 were.

You can support the practice, but it's absolutely factual that we're spending the same for less.

Not true in the slightest. Please stop basing your opinion as fact.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

AlfredoTurkey said:

o_O.Q said:

games were more expensive in the past

In 2005, PS2 games were $50.00 brand new. In 2015, that comes out to $60.00. The difference? Most of today's $60.00 games aren't complete like the $50.00 games on PS2 were.

You can support the practice, but it's absolutely factual that we're spending the same for less.

i'm taling about when mortal kombat as a series began when games were actually more expensive than they are now

"Most of today's $60.00 games aren't complete like the $50.00 games on PS2 were."

the mortal kombat games on ps2 would not have had the online multiplayer options that the recent ones do... does that therefore mean that those games were incomplete?

do you see the flaws in that argument now?

btw yes i concede that in several instances content is stripped from games to be sold later as dlc  but i think people paint this whole issue with too broad a brush with little regard for nuance

Around the Network

agreed.

boycotting smash and mario kart too. oh, and every game ever.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
hollabackenny said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:

are a lot of you guys who bought the game just ok with how they handled its release? the day one DLC and the fatalities, extra characters, etc? 

What day 1 dlc?  

The extra characters are not ready at release, not sure what the problem there is, they are being made after the game releases, not ripped from the game or anything. 

They say it's not ready but I just fought Tanya in like chapter 3 or 4 of the story mode and yet she's an announced DLC character. I also fought Rain and heard Jade makes an appearance yet they're non playable characters in the game? 

Each character in MKX required a lot more work than a traditional fighter, they need to have 3 different forms.  Also just cause you fight her doesn't mean her complete move list for even one of her forms was done.

somebody went inton the files and made some characters playable that are on the disc, but not in the game as playable characters...

generic-user-1 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
hollabackenny said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:

are a lot of you guys who bought the game just ok with how they handled its release? the day one DLC and the fatalities, extra characters, etc? 

What day 1 dlc?  

The extra characters are not ready at release, not sure what the problem there is, they are being made after the game releases, not ripped from the game or anything. 

They say it's not ready but I just fought Tanya in like chapter 3 or 4 of the story mode and yet she's an announced DLC character. I also fought Rain and heard Jade makes an appearance yet they're non playable characters in the game? 

Each character in MKX required a lot more work than a traditional fighter, they need to have 3 different forms.  Also just cause you fight her doesn't mean her complete move list for even one of her forms was done.

somebody went inton the files and made some characters playable that are on the disc, but not in the game as playable characters...

Ya in only 1 form, which means they are not complete characters.

If people dislike the DLC practice then gamers just need to stop buying the DLC themselves rather than not buying the game itself. If statistics can show that DLC are becoming worthless to gamers then eventually it could stop. But it wont. Some DLC are great and add extra playability to games you enjoy.

Personally, I'm not for this but don't care enough to be against this. I just don't buy DLC and possibly wait for a rerelease that has the game and all the DLC together.

I think a worst practice is having buggy games or when there's a huge patch to download on the day of the launch. It seems almost normal to us now that games now are bought unfinished and require a Day1 patch.

With fighting games I get more annoyed with re-releases. Happened with last Mortal Kombat so I already planned on getting "Komplete" version they'll likely release in 2016.