By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mortal Kombat reveals first gay character

Tagged games:

curl-6 said:
Is it the "straight agenda" at work when a character is heterosexual?
LGBTI people exist, they are quite common. Featuring them in games is not an "agenda" it's simply art reflecting reality.

// thread

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
JoeAncelotti said:
Awesome! Hopefully this motivates other developers to go in the same direction and do gays or transgenders or anything that isn't used much. It's 2015 after all.

Putting them in a game just for the sake of doing so, or because it's a certain year is ridiculous. I'm all for artists making what they want and if having gay people in games is what a designer wants, I'm fine with it. But to put them in JUST to be "hip" or "socially modern" is complete BS. At that point, they're just a sell out imo.

then why don't you disagree with the huge amount of boring heterosexual love stories in games that are there "just for the sake of it". gay/staight/bi/trans people exist, period. Showing them is just being realistic.

Thats cool. I was in an MK forum and the bigots game out in full force. Luckily some proper thinking people shut them up. It doesn't matter what he is unless he's a great fighter.

contestgamer said:
Every tv show and every game need a gay character apparently. You know this decision was consciously made to grab more attention and that's what's so frustrating about it.

Showing something natural and common isn't trying to get attention.

contestgamer said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
JoeAncelotti said:

That wasn't really my point. My point is that developers shouldn't feel forced to make all male (or some female) characters that are ''normally acceptable''. It's quite hard to explain really. I'm just all for freedom of speech, etc and that's why I support this. Not to be ''hip'' or ''socially modern'', but to make a statement. Even though it's 2015, many people are still struggling with their sexual orientation and putting things like this out there in the ever more growing influencial media is good. I'm not saying it'll help that much, but it's good to see developers not being afraid to do something different.

I agree. I don't think there should be any bounderies. As an artist, you should feel free to make what you want and express it. I think the results of having gay people in media isn't going to show for a decade or two. When the under 10 croud out there grows up having lived in a world where being gay is not different than just being different, and not evil, possitive things are going to happen as a whole.

Isnt going to show for a decade or two? Gays are all over the media. 

I meant the AFFECTS of having gay people viewed as something that isn't evil or bad. I think it's going to take at least a decade to see the pay off since people who are 30 and over grew up in a time when it was something bad. Hate is something that most people carry with them. It's not often that someone is intelligent enough to view hate, and have some epiphany and change. So it's going to take the youngest ones growing up in a society that is accepting of gay people in order for us to really see a huge change. (no more millions of idiot bigots proudly standing in lines, buying chicken so the world knows they're hateful etc.)

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Putting them in a game just for the sake of doing so, or because it's a certain year is ridiculous. I'm all for artists making what they want and if having gay people in games is what a designer wants, I'm fine with it. But to put them in JUST to be "hip" or "socially modern" is complete BS. At that point, they're just a sell out imo.

then why don't you disagree with the huge amount of boring heterosexual love stories in games that are there "just for the sake of it". gay/staight/bi/trans people exist, period. Showing them is just being realistic.

I'm talking motive. If an artist goes "I'd really like to tell the story of two gay guys living in NY etc." and then makes a game... that's good. I'm totally supportive. If, on the other hand, he/she goes "I think if I put two gay guys as lead characters into this game, it will get alot more publicity and attention"... then no, that's not a good thing. 

Exploitation is exploitation. 

That's a pretty tasteful way to handle it. Nothing worse than creating a character who is defined by their sexual orientation.

All of you people being rational clearly don't get it. Gay people can't fight. Hell, they're not even mortal. This is a sham, I tell you.

The developers may not support straight people anymore, but I can tell you that they are going straight to hell.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Skullwaker said:

All of you people being rational clearly don't get it. Gay people can't fight. Hell, they're not even mortal. This is a sham, I tell you.

The developers may not support straight people anymore, but I can tell you that they are going straight to hell.

So... I'm... immortal!

FUCK YEAH!

Signature goes here!

contestgamer said:
Carl2291 said:

Character development. Adds to his backstory. Explains why he isnt in with the Shaolin Monks at that point in the game.

So why isnt there a clear backstory of all the heterosexual relationships of the other characters then?

Cassie Cage is the daughter of 2 MK characters. Theres one for you.

And who is to say we know who all of the gay MK characters are?