By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Average Gamer 35 Years Old, 44% Female, Plenty of other Stats - ESA Releases Game Stats

Eddie_Raja said:
mornelithe said:

Maybe not with that game, but that is in many ways a "Gateway Drug."  It may be candy crush now, but it could possibly opens their mind to other gaming possibilities they would have previously written off.

People said the same stuff about the Wii, and yet it brought gaming to a lot of "Non-Gamers."  That is never a bad thing.

You want to go ahead and ask Nintendo how that worked out for them? It wasn't a gateway to gaming at all, they bought the Wii, and then never bought another console after that.

I would be willing to bet that the stats on people moving from mobile gaming, to "hardcore" gaming would show very little movement at all.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
outlawauron said:

It wouldn't be that low. PC/console have a much higher male/female ratio, but it's not that huge. I'd bet 80/20 if I had to.

I don't know much about PC gaming so I can't speak about that. But JUST console gaming? I doubt it's over 5%. I mean, I've met enough people to quanitify my own polls and it's probably BELOW that number. There are "gamer girls", but in my experience, they are very rare. And even then, most of them are sort of posers and aren't any good.

Finding a girl who is a hard core console gamer that can go toe to toe with a guy core gamer is like finding gold. I wish there were more.

I think I know why you're having such a hard time finding "girl gamers"...because you have weirdly strict qualifiers. Why does she need to be good? I know several girls who play console/pc games regularly.

Even if the average is lower than in my personal experience, I bet between 10-15% of "gamers" are girls.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I don't know much about PC gaming so I can't speak about that. But JUST console gaming? I doubt it's over 5%. I mean, I've met enough people to quanitify my own polls and it's probably BELOW that number. There are "gamer girls", but in my experience, they are very rare. And even then, most of them are sort of posers and aren't any good.

Finding a girl who is a hard core console gamer that can go toe to toe with a guy core gamer is like finding gold. I wish there were more.

I think I know why you're having such a hard time finding "girl gamers"...because you have weirdly strict qualifiers. Why does she need to be good? I know several girls who play console/pc games regularly.

Even if the average is lower than in my personal experience, I bet between 10-15% of "gamers" are girls.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's that difficult either, it may just be the types of games he plays, or that his circles of friends just aren't that indicative of the wider audience.  My GM in WoW (Arwan), is a female, who's been GM for years, of a guild of over 600 characters (over 100 unique accounts, not sure the true split though).  There are quite a few women in the guild, and we all get along quite well.  We also make the Vent server pretty open though, so, yeah, I don't know, can't really say I share his experience.

AlfredoTurkey said:
chocoloco said:

People older then fifty grew up before games were really a popular media. The first gen of gamers is growing up and continuing to play games to varying extents. So, it is not really a surprise to me. The average age will grow as more of population was born when video games became pretty big, and actually existed.

You're spot on. My mother is in her early 50's. I'm 35 myself. She has NEVER understood gaming and I'm constantly having to remind her that it's because MY generation, the kids born between the late 70's and early 80's pretty much gave birth to the entire thing. I'm the first generation and I'll be gaming until I'm dead... 100 years old or not.

The idea that people would stop doing a non-physical hobby they like just because they grow up is kind of not thinking about it deeply. I mean people give up things like extreme sports, and team sports, but that is avery different thing than pushing buttons, and pounding the keyboard. A pretty easy task once learned.

PwerlvlAmy said:
Volterra_90 said:

I really don't know, but, in my personal experience, I've never met a woman gamer in my entire life lol. I've met a lot of them who play games (FB games, mobile games mostly), but, they don't call themselves "gamers". But, hey, my personal experience is not representative of the whole. 

yeah i was about to  say what you wrote at the end,your life experience doesnt sum it up as a whole lol

Yes, Tinkerbell logic does not apply lol. If you don't believe in them...

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
Wasn't there a study that said more women played games than men? Why the inconsistent results?

It is a survey. In college statistics, you learn surveys are very inconsistant for a shit ton of reasons.

PwerlvlAmy said:
Volterra_90 said:

I really don't know, but, in my personal experience, I've never met a woman gamer in my entire life lol. I've met a lot of them who play games (FB games, mobile games mostly), but, they don't call themselves "gamers". But, hey, my personal experience is not representative of the whole. 

yeah i was about to  say what you wrote at the end,your life experience doesnt sum it up as a whole lol

I actually know a few female gamers, but they're not very open about it since it is considered immature and less than feminine to play games. Same goes for many of my male friends; some of the most popular "studs" I know play a lot of video games, like RPG's and other fare besides the mainstream Call of Duty's that everyone knows and accepts, but they don't really talk about it, post on social networks about it, etc. It's more like a guilty pleasure to them, and it seems that girls are adhering even more strictly to these "rules". That's my two cents anyway.

PwerlvlAmy said:
lol i see the ''female gamers cant possibly play games as much as men'' talk is still alive and well

Too busy playing Bloodborne to take surveys. ;)

Honestly though, if you are a woman that games regularly tend to find yourself bit lonely around majority of women.  It is really only around male friends can I discuss gaming without feeling odd about it.  My female friends don't mock it, but it is equivalent to discussing interior design with most guys, they just sort of glaze over.

mornelithe said:
Normchacho said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's that difficult either, it may just be the types of games he plays, or that his circles of friends just aren't that indicative of the wider audience.  My GM in WoW (Arwan), is a female, who's been GM for years, of a guild of over 600 characters (over 100 unique accounts, not sure the true split though).  There are quite a few women in the guild, and we all get along quite well.  We also make the Vent server pretty open though, so, yeah, I don't know, can't really say I share his experience.

I don't know, my sister is the biggest GTA fan I know, I have a close friend who plays a ton of WOW, and I have several other friends/co workers who play console/PC games...it's just not that alien to me.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

Are they going by a survey or by sales records? Because there are plenty of moms that buy games for their kids if thats what they're going by

#1 Amb-ass-ador