By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 announced for PS4, PS3

OMG, can't fucking wait. Love Star Ocean!

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Materia-Blade said:
HollyGamer said:

well it really awesome news especially when people would not expecting this, especially from SE and Playstation only ???

I'm not talking about the announcement itself. He mentioned that being PS exclusive was "cherry on top", when it clearly isn't a good thing.

Star Ocean games or mostly every jrpg games (that became mainstream on the west) has a strong connection to PS fans. i bet you were not really active in gaming forum back then when FF 13 announced for Xbox 360. It was a sad day for PS fans back then.

It wasn't a sad day because no one lost anything.

Ka-pi96 said:
Aura7541 said:
Holy s***, SE actually delivered.... o_O

And SCEJ is also co-developing with Tri-Ace, so I guess co-development with 3rd party Japanese studios is going to be a thing. But on topic, I'm so happy we're getting a Star Ocean 5!! The character designs look wayyy better than in SO4.

Wait, it's a co-development between 3 independent companies? That sounds really weird and like it could be hard to get it together, also makes Sony look kinda stupid for allowing it to be cross gen as well.

My guess is that if Sony wanted Star Ocean 5 to be a PS4 exclusive, they had to shell out a ton of money in order to make up for the potential revenue from the PS3 version's sales. We all saw how much the PS3 version of Dragon Quest Heroes sold in Japan.

Materia-Blade said:
Zekkyou said:

To a PlayStation fan that wants to see the brand continue to thrive (similar to you with Nintendo), it being an exclusive is a 'cherry on the top'. That cherry being at the expense of fans of other systems wouldn't really matter to people in that situation. The term can be used contextually.

Of course, if it's true that Sony are co-developing it then SO4 might be in a similar situation to Bayonetta 2, where their involvement is the reason it exists.

Again, the issue is him saying that the PS exclusivity is good when it isn't. It brings nothing extra to PS owners and stops other consoles owners from playing it.

For a PlayStation fan that wants to see the brand continue to thrive, it being exclusive is a 'good' thing. That added incentive for others to need to buy a PlayStation console is the cherry in that context.

As i said in my last post, the term can be used contextually (or i suppose more accurately in this instance, subjectively). Other people's stance on the issue has absolutely no bearing on what should or shouldn't be considered a 'cherry on the top' to daredevil.shark. If he feels it is one, then to him it is.

SO4 has it's flaws, but I had a blast with the gameplay

what a great time to be a PS4 owner :)

Around the Network

What exactly is the point in NOT releasing it on XBO? I mean its almost the same console as the PS4

I dont have a XBO yet but it still is just dumb.

I mean no audience there? Then make it have the audience you idiots.

Ka-pi96 said:
Hiku said:

Well it's supposedly being co-developed by Sony, so there's that.
And FF Type-0 seemingly sold much worse on XBO than PS4, so I don't think Square needed a lot of convincing.

Considering that wasn't even a full month ago I doubt that had much impact on this decision. You'd like to think they would have decided the platforms longer than a single month before the announcment

This is SE we're talking about :p (though i agree, i doubt Type-0 had any bearing on the deal, no matter how well or badly it sold. It was too recent).

Dude...april fools is over. 13 days late...

(Goes to check google...)

Holy shit!

Good to see my ps3 will continue to get more support

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

S04 did well on 360 because they forced people like me into buying the machine to play it. Had they not held the release hostage on PS3 for several years the scenario would have been different.