By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 announced for PS4, PS3

Materia-Blade said:
Xxain said:

I will start with your second paragraph. You have done nothing to disprove my claim, if anything you agreed with it. Listen, Im not arguing circumstances with you. I dont care "why" PlayStation consoles are the preferred community for console JRPG's. It could very well be just Japanese developers not giving other community a fair shot.

Ok fine, does it change PS being the number spot for console JRPG's? Noooo it doesn't.

Let us go back to being "redundant". That would be true if we equally had 80mill PS3's and PS4's and they're all owned by the same exact people. We know that is not accurate. The amout of PS3 owners in Japan vs the amount PS4 lies a humongous difference, which more than likely is driving force in alot PS3/PS4 release from japan. If you know that you have 1 million persona fans using PS products and 700k are still use the PS3 and the last 300k on PS4. For a guaranteed 1 million sales PS3/PS4 is no brainer. Cover all bases. 

You clearly didn't understand. the ps audience isn't the one that buys more jrpg, it's just the one that received more.

"If you know that you have 1 million persona fans using PS products and 700k are still use the PS3 and the last 300k on PS4. For a guaranteed 1 million sales PS3/PS4 is no brainer. Cover all bases."

Cover all bases would mean also releasing on Wii U and probably getting at least another 500k. ps3 and ps4 are still redundant. but I'm not saying it's wrong to launch on both ps3 and ps4, but doing it while ignoring wii u is what's wrong.

At least 500k?
What are you smoking?
Bayonetta 2 as an ultra high rated EXCLUSIVE barely managed to cross 500k and you want a game which will get released on the PS3(mainly for Japan) and the market leader in this Gen(the PS4 which overtook the WiiU in less than 5 months after release) to do 500k on the WiiU which is barely selling at all anywhere on this planet?Oo
You wouldn't get 500k,especially not "at least" on the WiiU - PS3 and PS4 are the only reasonable console choices.
For Developers of those games the PS4 (and PS3) are more than enough to make easy and save money with reasonable effort and time put into the development of those games.
You can talk about something like that for the WiiU when it starts to sell comparable to the PS4 at any given time.

Moderated - Starcraft

Around the Network
Xxain said:
Materia-Blade said:

You clearly didn't understand. the ps audience isn't the one that buys more jrpg, it's just the one that received more.

"If you know that you have 1 million persona fans using PS products and 700k are still use the PS3 and the last 300k on PS4. For a guaranteed 1 million sales PS3/PS4 is no brainer. Cover all bases."

Cover all bases would mean also releasing on Wii U and probably getting at least another 500k. ps3 and ps4 are still redundant. but I'm not saying it's wrong to launch on both ps3 and ps4, but doing it while ignoring wii u is what's wrong.

The PS fanbase has had the most opportunities for JRPG's, thus having more opportunities to buy more, thus having more having more opportunities to established itself as the goto community, thus gaining stigma that JRPG's is PlayStation thing. Yea, I get what your saying, but I dont care about the circumstances of why PS community has garnered the stigma, Just that it has it. 

There is nothing redundant and releasing on both PS3 and PS4. You completely glazed over the part of my post that covers why it Wouldn't it be redundant just to say it is redundant... again ... With no explanation how you come to that conclusion.

I already said why it's redundant. It's because it's the same audience. the japanese ps4 owners are mostly the ones who already have a ps3.

And the whole point of the other posts was saying the ps audience doesn't have that stigma.

Zekkyou said:
I found SO4 a little disappointing (it didn't live up to my expectations from SO3), but i enjoyed it enough that i'm exited to see how this turns out. It would have been nice if they could have made it 8th gen only, but SO isn't really the type of game to push technical boundaries so i doubt it'll have much of an effect on the end result.

I'm surprised by the lack of an X1 version though, SO4 sold well on the 360. Could be that it's just a PS3/PS4 exclusive in Japan. Pretending the X1 doesn't exist there makes sense :p

A little ?

And no, it probably won't come on Xone. Jrpg (and jap games in general) sales on Xbox are really poor most of time (hello fftype-0), and a lot of producers nearly died because of the 360 exclusivity, such as namco with tales of vesperia. And i don't think they want to do the same mistake again.

That's why you will never got another tales of on Xone, anothers NIs game, Atlus rpg game, and others.

Materia-Blade said:
Xxain said:

The PS fanbase has had the most opportunities for JRPG's, thus having more opportunities to buy more, thus having more having more opportunities to established itself as the goto community, thus gaining stigma that JRPG's is PlayStation thing. Yea, I get what your saying, but I dont care about the circumstances of why PS community has garnered the stigma, Just that it has it. 

There is nothing redundant and releasing on both PS3 and PS4. You completely glazed over the part of my post that covers why it Wouldn't it be redundant just to say it is redundant... again ... With no explanation how you come to that conclusion.

I already said why it's redundant. It's because it's the same audience. the japanese ps4 owners are mostly the ones who already have a ps3.

And the whole point of the other posts was saying the ps audience doesn't have that stigma.

Ok? The same JRPG buing audience? Cool. Was it redundant when Nintendo released Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS? How about Donkey Kong Country Returns? The only case of redundancy in regards to platform release is PS3/4 and Vita, because 90% Vita owners are PlayStation console owner.

So, it is not generally agreed upon by the industry, specifically Japanese JRPG developers, that the fanbase for JRPG's is on PlayStation? Hideo Baba made the Tales series exclusive for no reason? What about Persona 5? You Know Dragon Quest is coming, they almost outright stated that, lets not even mention smaller Devs like Gust, Compile Heart, Idea Factory, Nippon Ichi Ichi,Falcom ext. These guys all mainly develop for PS consoles for no reason? 

Xxain said:
Materia-Blade said:

Ok? The same JRPG buing audience? Cool. Was it redundant when Nintendo released Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS? How about Donkey Kong Country Returns? The only case of redundancy in regards to platform release is PS3/4 and Vita, because 90% Vita owners are PlayStation console owner.

So, it is not generally agreed upon by the industry, specifically Japanese JRPG developers, that the fanbase for JRPG's is on PlayStation? Hideo Baba made the Tales series exclusive for no reason? What about Persona 5? You Know Dragon Quest is coming, they almost outright stated that, lets not even mention smaller Devs like Gust, Compile Heart, Idea Factory, Nippon Ichi Ichi,Falcom ext. These guys all mainly develop for PS consoles for no reason? 

"Was it redundant when Nintendo released Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS? How about Donkey Kong Country Returns?"

no and no. In case you haven't noticed, the 3ds and wii u are two different platforms. one is a handheld and the other is a home console. and although there is an overlap in audiences, there's a big percentage of 3ds/wii u owners that don't own the other. ps3 and ps4 are both home consoles and one is the successor of the other. thus, they have mostly the same audience.

"Hideo Baba made the Tales series exclusive for no reason?" tales of isn't an exclusive franchise. what about when the wii almost had a monopoly on the franchise?

"You Know Dragon Quest is coming, they almost outright stated that"

I know that dragon quest is coming, isn't that always obvious. for wich platform/platforms, that was never stated.

"ets not even mention smaller Devs like Gust, Compile Heart, Idea Factory, Nippon Ichi Ichi,Falcom ext. These guys all mainly develop for PS consoles for no reason?"

why they develop for ps isn't my business but if they are ignoring nintendo, it's for no reason or for a terrible reason.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
Aura7541 said:
Holy s***, SE actually delivered.... o_O

And SCEJ is also co-developing with Tri-Ace, so I guess co-development with 3rd party Japanese studios is going to be a thing. But on topic, I'm so happy we're getting a Star Ocean 5!! The character designs look wayyy better than in SO4.

They do seem to be doing a lot of it. Assuming it's true that SO5 is also being co-developed, how many games are we up to now? I can think of 4; Deep Down, Bloodborne, Star Ocean 4, and Street Fighter V.

Dissidia too.

Probably japan studio who do the most of work.

it is exclusive to playstation because that is where the majority of their audience are. case closed.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
it is exclusive to playstation because that is where the majority of their audience are. case closed.

I thought it was pretty clear that it's exclusive because sony paid for it to be that way.

Nem said:
Hiku said:
Great news!

I just hope it's A LOT better than Star Ocean 4. A lot...

I dont get that. I thought the combat in SO4 was amazing aswell as the locations you visit. The only thing that needs improving are the characters and story... but not to SO3 levels! Would be great if they could actually undo the pickle they did with SO3. 

Maybe if its set after SO3 in the timeline we can take it seriously once more.

SO3 was absolutely amazing. I would love to see them turn SO5 into another SO3.

Fedel Camus (voiced by Kaito Ishikawa) – The protagonist. He specializes at fencing, and protects the order of his village.
Miki Sorvesta (voiced by Nao Toyama) – The heroine. She is the protagonist’s childhood friend, and loves him like an older brother.
Lilia (voice actor unknown) – A girl who lost both her memories and emotions.

They just about hit every overdone JRPG cliche in the book. Ah well I'll probably still eat it up anyway. Will probably play though SO4 again soon.