By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 announced for PS4, PS3

Chris Hu said:
outlawauron said:

Namco keeps costs low for this series, and focusing on one platform is part of that design philosophy. While it would have been nice, that's not the capability of the studio with their current scope.

It would have cost next to nothing to port them and its not like they are not familiar with the 360 since it was the lead platform for Tales of Vesperia.  Also speaking of Tales of Vesperia since they will never localize the PS3 version to the west at least they should have released the extra content as DLC for the 360 version.   Both Vesperia and Abyss sold more then enough that both the 360 and 3DS should have had more then just one Tales game.

Obviously Namco doesn't agree, because they haven't done that (not to mention that the Tales games on PS3 did better than all of those). It's also mostly assumed that Vesperia was done on 360 as part of a deal from MS. Not a concidence that several JRPGs appeared on other platforms a year later (Star Ocean, Eternal Sonata, Vesperia + the reverse with FF13 360 being a year late for JP).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I think you need to check the numbers again both Vesperia and Abyss did very good sales wise on the 360 and 3DS:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Tales+of&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Also since Vesperia is also available in digital format on the 360 in the games on demand section you can add at least another 100K to the 360 numbers.

Chris Hu said:

I think you need to check the numbers again both Vesperia and Abyss did very good sales wise on the 360 and 3DS:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Tales+of&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Also since Vesperia is also available in digital format on the 360 in the games on demand section you can add at least another 100K to the 360 numbers.

As you should know from your time on VGC, VGC very often overtracks JRPGs in the West. Game didn't sell as well as VGC says + Namco only cares about Japanese sales. Xillia was the highest selling Tales game since 2002. I don't think people can find fault that they made a mistake in their platform choices.

Abyss did sell well, but Namco doesn't really bother much with handheld after Hearts, Innoence, and Tempest all kinda flopped on the DS. They just get the scraps.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

JRPG are alive !

Materia-Blade said:
Aeolus451 said:

We don't live in a perfect world and games being exclusive makes sense. It's one of the main ways, the consoles differentiate themselves from each other. If someone wants to play JRPG's they'll have to buy a ps4 or sit those games out.

This game isn't exclusive to a console though, so they should just port it to wii u already. the ps3 version certainly isn't making development any easier.

"If someone wants to play JRPG's they'll have to buy a ps4 or sit those games out."

That couldn't be more wrong. You speak as if ps4 had a monopoly on jrpgs when it's almost the opposite. the 3ds is in a better spot regarding that.

It is exclusive to one of the big 3 but it's not gen exclusive. Sony's consoles are the largest market for JRPG's. 
c

Around the Network
TheBlackNaruto said:
Imnus said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Wait why would do you consider this and Street Fighter to be useless as exclusives?

Because they aren't resources intensive games. A game like Star Ocean doesn't push the console to the limit, maybe the PS3, certainly not the PS4, so it should be easy to develop for multiple platforms. The same with Street Fighter, a fighthing game rest mostly on it's core mechanics, it could be easily done for PS4 and XBOX One.

A game like Dragon's Dogma for example pushes a console to it's limits, so concentrating in one platform benefits the game since the dev can squeeze every ounce of power from it. To get the game working on both consoles, you have to make sacrifices since you can't play to the platform strenghts, not even mentioning redundant work that can be better spent making the game the best it can be.

That still doesn't make them "useless" exclusives though lol. I guess it was your wording that bothered me.

I'd quote myself:

"Sony should really stop with the pointless exclusives, this and Street Figther are useless as exclusives, and invest in exclusives that would actually benefit the game and not only stop the game from going to other Platforms. Games like a Next-Gen Dragon's Dogma or like Bloodborne are games that are actually great as exclusives."

Maybe you're confusing "useless as exclusives" with "useless games". Or something else, I don't really get your point.

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 20 February 2023

Aura7541 said:
Materia-Blade said:

Games that are first party should obviously be exclusives. but every purely 3rd party game should be on every platform possible.

I would agree that purely 3rd party game should be on every platform, but it is not as simple as you make it to be. 3rd party shooters, sports games, and WPRG's, for instance, are no-brainers as they are popular across all platforms. However, JRPG's and Japanese games, in general, are a whole different situation.

The skew in Final Fantasy Type-0 is really big. Abdiel's assessement has Best Buy's skew to be over 75% favoring the PS4. Kagari has the distribution of Type-0 sales in the UK to be 80% PS4 (it's going to take a long time for me to find that post). I can imagine the disparity to be even larger on Amazon considering the XBO version of Type-0 never broke the Top 50 on the hourly charts until after the $20 price drop. Outside of the US and UK, it's an even more laughable skew.

Kingdom Hearts III's situation is even worse. Abdiel's assessment from one store has 100 preorders for the PS4 version vs. 2 for the XBO version. The Shogun has also said that KHIII has very little presence among the XBO userbase. And it's not just KHIII, it's Japanese games in general. Another quote from Abdiel:

"I just really wouldn't be surprised if [the Kingdom Hearts collections] passed the xb1. I get the feeling the Japanese game devs are seeing the response to their titles having a distinct presence, and that presence is not on the Xbox consoles. Especially with the global market so utterly slanting to one side. 

Just from a retail perspective, Xbox customers don't ask about Japanese games. They're never asking about them; and I'm not even saying every Sony customer is asking about them, but it's still a good chunk of their base."

"However, JRPG's and Japanese games, in general, are a whole different situation."

Yes, depending on the franchise, they should skip xbox and be multiplatform between nintendo and sony consoles.

Ka-pi96 said:
Materia-Blade said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

So I have to ask though. becauset he way you have been stating and wording things it seems as if you feel NO GAME should be exclusive and every game should be on every platform. Well then what's the point of having multiple platforms? I know that is not what you are saying but your context is basically saying that. Or at least that's what I got out of it in a way.

Games that are first party should obviously be exclusives. but every purely 3rd party game should be on every platform possible.

So you'd want devs to purposely hold back their games so they could work on every platform? You'd want smaller devs to risk losing money and potentially even bankruptcy just to release on every platform?

read: every purely 3rd party game should be on every platform POSSIBLE.

And no one would be losing money.

Materia-Blade said:
Aura7541 said:

I would agree that purely 3rd party game should be on every platform, but it is not as simple as you make it to be. 3rd party shooters, sports games, and WPRG's, for instance, are no-brainers as they are popular across all platforms. However, JRPG's and Japanese games, in general, are a whole different situation.

The skew in Final Fantasy Type-0 is really big. Abdiel's assessement has Best Buy's skew to be over 75% favoring the PS4. Kagari has the distribution of Type-0 sales in the UK to be 80% PS4 (it's going to take a long time for me to find that post). I can imagine the disparity to be even larger on Amazon considering the XBO version of Type-0 never broke the Top 50 on the hourly charts until after the $20 price drop. Outside of the US and UK, it's an even more laughable skew.

Kingdom Hearts III's situation is even worse. Abdiel's assessment from one store has 100 preorders for the PS4 version vs. 2 for the XBO version. The Shogun has also said that KHIII has very little presence among the XBO userbase. And it's not just KHIII, it's Japanese games in general. Another quote from Abdiel:

"I just really wouldn't be surprised if [the Kingdom Hearts collections] passed the xb1. I get the feeling the Japanese game devs are seeing the response to their titles having a distinct presence, and that presence is not on the Xbox consoles. Especially with the global market so utterly slanting to one side. 

Just from a retail perspective, Xbox customers don't ask about Japanese games. They're never asking about them; and I'm not even saying every Sony customer is asking about them, but it's still a good chunk of their base."

"However, JRPG's and Japanese games, in general, are a whole different situation."

Yes, depending on the franchise, they should skip xbox and be multiplatform between nintendo and sony consoles.

It largely depends if there is enough fanbase on the Wii U. The other problem is that the developing architecture between the PS4 & Wii U is more different than between the PS4 & XBO. If it's easy to port between the two platforms, then yes, going multiplat between the PS4 & Wii U would make sense. In fact, KHIII should be on those 2 consoles considering the original Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, & Dream Drop Distance were on the GB Advance, DS, & 3DS, respectively.