By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 announced for PS4, PS3

Aura7541 said:
Materia-Blade said:

"However, JRPG's and Japanese games, in general, are a whole different situation."

Yes, depending on the franchise, they should skip xbox and be multiplatform between nintendo and sony consoles.

It largely depends if there is enough fanbase on the Wii U. The other problem is that the developing architecture between the PS4 & Wii U is more different than between the PS4 & XBO. If it's easy to port between the two platforms, then yes, going multiplat between the PS4 & Wii U would make sense. In fact, KHIII should be on those 2 consoles considering the original Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, & Dream Drop Distance were on the GB Advance, DS, & 3DS, respectively.

"The other problem is that the developing architecture between the PS4 & Wii U is more different than between the PS4 & XBO"

If that was a real problem, ps3 wouldn't have gotten many games. also, japanese centric games wouldn't be releasing for ps3 and ps4 simultaneously. And I'm pretty sure there's a real big difference in architeture between ps3 and ps4, unlike wii u and ps4.

totally agree with KH3 and I'd include many others.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Chris Hu said:

I think you need to check the numbers again both Vesperia and Abyss did very good sales wise on the 360 and 3DS:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Tales+of&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Also since Vesperia is also available in digital format on the 360 in the games on demand section you can add at least another 100K to the 360 numbers.

As you should know from your time on VGC, VGC very often overtracks JRPGs in the West. Game didn't sell as well as VGC says + Namco only cares about Japanese sales. Xillia was the highest selling Tales game since 2002. I don't think people can find fault that they made a mistake in their platform choices.

Abyss did sell well, but Namco doesn't really bother much with handheld after Hearts, Innoence, and Tempest all kinda flopped on the DS. They just get the scraps.

I highly doubt that either Vesperia or Abyss are overtracked by much and the only Tales games that sold better in North America was Tales of Symphonia on the GameCube and that one was pretty much guranteed to sell good since there where nearly no other options when it comes to JRPG's on the Gamecube.

ReimTime said:
Great news that it is in fact Star Ocean! I'm a little disappointed it's exclusive, even though it will not affect me directly.

Exclusives are, contrary to modern belief, usually a good thing. This game will probably look, sound and run much better than it would have had it been ported to other systems. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
ReimTime said:
Great news that it is in fact Star Ocean! I'm a little disappointed it's exclusive, even though it will not affect me directly.

Exclusives are, contrary to modern belief, usually a good thing. This game will probably look, sound and run much better than it would have had it been ported to other systems. 

How much will it being cross-gen affect it?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
ReimTime said:

I really don't know... probably alot. That's another annoying thing going on right now because they can't afford to develop two entirely different versions. So what we will probably get is the PS3 will be the lead console and the PS4 getting something with better resolution, draw distance etc. In essence, a dumbed down game.

After 9 years for PS3 and 10 for 360, I think it's time we stop making games on those consoles. It's a kick in the nuts for those who have next generation consoles imo.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
Aura7541 said:

It largely depends if there is enough fanbase on the Wii U. The other problem is that the developing architecture between the PS4 & Wii U is more different than between the PS4 & XBO. If it's easy to port between the two platforms, then yes, going multiplat between the PS4 & Wii U would make sense. In fact, KHIII should be on those 2 consoles considering the original Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, & Dream Drop Distance were on the GB Advance, DS, & 3DS, respectively.

"The other problem is that the developing architecture between the PS4 & Wii U is more different than between the PS4 & XBO"

If that was a real problem, ps3 wouldn't have gotten many games. also, japanese centric games wouldn't be releasing for ps3 and ps4 simultaneously. And I'm pretty sure there's a real big difference in architeture between ps3 and ps4, unlike wii u and ps4.

Maybe you could jog my memory but what's the install base difference between the PS3 and Wii U? It's not that hard to comprehend why the PS3 would still get the game, even with its different architecture compared to the PS4.

AlfredoTurkey said:
ReimTime said:

I really don't know... probably alot. That's another annoying thing going on right now because they can't afford to develop two entirely different versions. So what we will probably get is the PS3 will be the lead console and the PS4 getting something with better resolution, draw distance etc. In essence, a dumbed down game.

After 9 years for PS3 and 10 for 360, I think it's time we stop making games on those consoles. It's a kick in the nuts for those who have next generation consoles imo.

9 years of support is a long time! My guess is support will be done mid-2016

#1 Amb-ass-ador

TheGoldenBoy said:
Materia-Blade said:

Maybe you could jog my memory but what's the install base difference between the PS3 and Wii U? It's not that hard to comprehend why the PS3 would still get the game, even with its different architecture compared to the PS4.

Then why not make it ps3 + wii u and leave ps4 out? wii u has a higher installed base in japan an this combination isn't redundant, like ps3 + ps4.

Materia-Blade said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Then why not make it ps3 + wii u and leave ps4 out? wii u has a higher installed base in japan an this combination isn't redundant, like ps3 + ps4.

What do you mean by redundant? The PlayStation fanbase is the number 1 place for console JRPG's. Period. It has been that way since the PS1 and it will never change as long as Final Fantasy, Tales, Persona, wharever... favors the PlayStation brand. PS fanbase is divided between 2 consoles and SE's choice of consoles releases ensures they're all potentially accounted for. Japanese developers in general will continue to have PS3 versions of their games for a loong time as a response to Japanese gamers being slower about migrating. PSP is still getting games! There is nothing redundant about the choice.

Wow I posted this news expecting the usual 20-50 posts max like all the other random Gematsu news I post, how did this reach over 300 O_O