By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 announced for PS4, PS3

Too bad KUROSSU GEN

Around the Network

Sony is helping too? This is like a dream.

The last time we got anything from tri-Ace was Resonance of Fate.... In 2010, and with that buyout I didn't think wed see anything from tri-Ace for a looooong time. Not only do we have a new SO but annouced early and SONY to help keep it on track.

Boy, this is awesome news

Materia-Blade said:
HollyGamer said:
Materia-Blade said:
daredevil.shark said:

A new star ocean game < developed by tri ace < playstation exclusive.

Cherry on top is a term used to describe an added bonus. Being only on ps3 and ps4 is no bonus, it actually ruins the news.

well it really awesome news especially when people would not expecting this, especially from SE and Playstation only ???

I'm not talking about the announcement itself. He mentioned that being PS exclusive was "cherry on top", when it clearly isn't a good thing.

Star Ocean games or mostly every jrpg games (that became mainstream on the west) has a strong connection to PS fans. i bet you were not really active in gaming forum back then when FF 13 announced for Xbox 360. It was a sad day for PS fans back then.

Ka-pi96 said:
Aura7541 said:
Holy s***, SE actually delivered.... o_O

And SCEJ is also co-developing with Tri-Ace, so I guess co-development with 3rd party Japanese studios is going to be a thing. But on topic, I'm so happy we're getting a Star Ocean 5!! The character designs look wayyy better than in SO4.

Wait, it's a co-development between 3 independent companies? That sounds really weird and like it could be hard to get it together, also makes Sony look kinda stupid for allowing it to be cross gen as well.

SquEnix own the IP, Tri-Ace are the main developers and Sony are probably providing programming aid to get the both versions running nicely on their respective consoles. This seems a good way of doing things, basically there are Sony consultants who are used to optimise games. Do and deal, hirer them out and the game is exclusive on your console. 

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
Aura7541 said:
Holy s***, SE actually delivered.... o_O

And SCEJ is also co-developing with Tri-Ace, so I guess co-development with 3rd party Japanese studios is going to be a thing. But on topic, I'm so happy we're getting a Star Ocean 5!! The character designs look wayyy better than in SO4.

Wait, it's a co-development between 3 independent companies? That sounds really weird and like it could be hard to get it together, also makes Sony look kinda stupid for allowing it to be cross gen as well.

"allowing it to be cross gen"?

SONY didn't allow anything. Star Ocean is owned by SE. Anytime SONY is co developing anything (helpung with cost), its part of a exclusive deal. SONY is NOT in control.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Xxain said:

"allowing it to be cross gen"?

SONY didn't allow anything. Star Ocean is owned by SE. Anytime SONY is co developing anything (helpung with cost), its part of a exclusive deal. SONY is NOT in control.

Exactly my point. If Sony are helping then they should have had it being a PS4 exclusive (no PS3 version) as one of the conditions for them helping.

The more Sony wants, the more they'd have to give. They probably felt that the 'negatives' of it being a cross-gen title weren't strong enough to warrant them off-setting those hypothetical sales to make it a PS4 only title (this all assuming they are in-fact helping, though i don't know why it would be a PS only title if they weren't).

One of my favorite series here. So glad to see it come back on console.

Zekkyou said:
Materia-Blade said:

Cherry on top is a term used to describe an added bonus. Being only on ps3 and ps4 is no bonus, it actually ruins the news.

To a PlayStation fan that wants to see the brand continue to thrive (similar to you with Nintendo), it being an exclusive is a 'cherry on the top'. That cherry being at the expense of fans of other systems wouldn't really matter to people in that situation. The term can be used contextually.

Of course, if it's true that Sony are co-developing it then SO4 might be in a similar situation to Bayonetta 2, where their involvement is the reason it exists.

Again, the issue is him saying that the PS exclusivity is good when it isn't. It brings nothing extra to PS owners and stops other consoles owners from playing it.

Ka-pi96 said:
Zekkyou said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Exactly my point. If Sony are helping then they should have had it being a PS4 exclusive (no PS3 version) as one of the conditions for them helping.

The more Sony wants, the more they'd have to give. They probably felt that the 'negatives' of it being a cross-gen title weren't strong enough to warrant them off-setting those hypothetical sales to make it a PS4 only title (this all assuming they are in-fact helping, though i don't know why it would be a PS only title if they weren't).

Because the Xbox One is deader than a dodo in Japan and PS/Wii U games are almost non-existent.

Seems like they would have had it PS exclusive regardless of whether they helped or not, so what exactly are they getting from the deal that they wouldn't have had anyway?

The X1 might be a flat possum in Japan, but Star Ocean tends to sell quite a bit more in the west than it does Japan (and did pretty well on the 360). I doubt it would do as well on the X1, but it should have been able to do more than enough to cover the relative pittance it costs to port between the PS4 and X1.

Another possibility is that the game might not have existed (or at least been finished) without Sony's help/money. In that situation they'd get another exclusive for their part and SE/Tri get to release another Star Ocean. I don't know why they'd make it cross-gen in that situation though. This is all just guess work :p

Good new, even if not liked the 4, i loved the 3, so i hope this will be more like 3 :)