By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom announces Monster Hunter Stories for 3DS

Meanwhile Vita cries in a corner because it's losing relevance in its biggest market. Monster Hunter was one of the biggest sellers on PSP

Around the Network

Apparently they've been working on it for a long time now, began 5 years ago.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

SjOne said:
Meanwhile Vita cries in a corner because it's losing relevance in its biggest market. Monster Hunter was one of the biggest sellers on PSP

It was very crafty of Nintendo to immediately go after Monster Hunter with 3DS and cut off Sony from their biggest handheld system seller.

It's the equivalent of cutting Xbox off from Halo. (Yeah, I know one's first party and the other is third, I meant in terms of how important the series was to the system)

Curmudgeon said:

Kind of hard to believe that a portable game could take so long to make...

curl-6 said:
Curmudgeon said:

Kind of hard to believe that a portable game could take so long to make...

I know. He was talking about 'designing' though, so it might be that the first 2/3 years they weren't actually doing anything but were just discussing the possibility of such a game. Maybe someone just came up with the idea 5 years ago and it was laid aside for some time. Or maybe it switched platforms, who knows.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/12/capcom-says-development-on-monster-hunter-stories-began-around-five-years-ago/ 

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

Around the Network
Curmudgeon said:

I know. He was talking about 'designing' though, so it might be that the first 2/3 years they weren't actually doing anything but were just discussing the possibility of such a game. Maybe someone just came up with the idea 5 years ago and it was laid aside for some time. Or maybe it switched platforms, who knows.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/12/capcom-says-development-on-monster-hunter-stories-began-around-five-years-ago/ 

Yeah, good point, kind of like how Pikmin 3 was "in development" for 5 years, or The Last Guardian since 2007.

curl-6 said:
Curmudgeon said:

Yeah, good point, kind of like how Pikmin 3 was "in development" for 5 years, or The Last Guardian since 2007.

Majora's Mask 3D took 3 years, despite the fact the original took like a year or so and they already had the groundwork done by OoT 3D =P

ktay95 said:
curl-6 said:

Majora's Mask 3D took 3 years, despite the fact the original took like a year or so and they already had the groundwork done by OoT 3D =P

...wow. What the hell were they doing for three years? XD

curl-6 said:

...wow. What the hell were they doing for three years? XD

The original Majora’s Mask took a year to develop for the Nintendo 64, and yet here we are with the remake on 3DS and it took three years. Can you talk about why that happened?

Aonuma: I think the reason for that is because, at the same time that Majora’s Mask 3DS version was ongoing, I was also working on A Link Between Worlds and other new Zelda projects. It’s very rare that I have the opportunity now to work on one single project at a time. If I had been able to work only on the remake of Majora’s Mask for 3DS, then it probably would’ve taken a lot less time. But if I have to juggle it with multiple other projects, and still take the time that I’d like to on fixing everything that I feel needs to be addressed, then that just means the whole project is going to take longer than the original did.

- See more at: http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/aonuma-explains-why-majoras-mask-3d-took-3-years#.VSu3dpNimDg

The original Majora’s Mask took a year to develop for the Nintendo 64, and yet here we are with the remake on 3DS and it took three years. Can you talk about why that happened?

Aonuma: I think the reason for that is because, at the same time that Majora’s Mask 3DS version was ongoing, I was also working on A Link Between Worlds and other new Zelda projects. It’s very rare that I have the opportunity now to work on one single project at a time. If I had been able to work only on the remake of Majora’s Mask for 3DS, then it probably would’ve taken a lot less time. But if I have to juggle it with multiple other projects, and still take the time that I’d like to on fixing everything that I feel needs to be addressed, then that just means the whole project is going to take longer than the original did.

- See more at: http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/aonuma-explains-why-majoras-mask-3d-took-3-years#.VSu3dpNimDg

i would love to see some game footage or another news from this announcement, overall i am very exited.