By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Voice Chat Dropped from Splatoon Over Toxicity Concerns

Einsam_Delphin said:
Mummelmann said:

Hmm, see I didn't even know that, guess I'm not in the demographic...

Technically, the most popular modes in many shooters aren't primarily about killing your enemies either, Capture the Flag and Conquest modes are extremely popular. I suppose it could work.

Now, my question has turned more towards this; why are they expecting this game to attract such negative, cursing and unsuited elements for younger gamers to begin with? Seems like a flimsy argument to exclude voice chat, I can't imagine the brats from Call of Duty going on there to shout profanity into others players' ears.

Not justifying their decision as there is no justification for it, but every game has jerk faces playing them. Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash, you name it, they're there.

See, that's one more thing I wasn't aware of, I almost never play games online with others and when I do, I always mute the voice chat. I don't think I've ever played a single minute in a game online on a console in my life.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Not justifying their decision as there is no justification for it, but every game has jerk faces playing them. Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash, you name it, they're there.

See, that's one more thing I wasn't aware of, I almost never play games online with others and when I do, I always mute the voice chat. I don't think I've ever played a single minute in a game online on a console in my life.

That's understandable if consoles aren't your primary gaming device, but if they are... o_O

Samus Aran said:
ToraTiger said:

Wii U doesn't have Skype functionality ingame to my knowledge (If it does, do tell) And also what if I wanted to talk with strangers on my team to enjoy the game better.  How come games have had online voice chat and messaging for literally decades and Nintendo can't even try to add it due to making the game "too toxic".  Its decisions like this that are killing nintendo worst than Sony or Xbox ever could. 

Every smartphone or laptop can use Skype.

If you don't have one of those then you can't really complain about Nintendo being stuck in the past. Ironic isn't it.

He is not a global multi-billion corporation that produces electronical devices for money

Kane1389 said:
Samus Aran said:

Every smartphone or laptop can use Skype.

If you don't have one of those then you can't really complain about Nintendo being stuck in the past. Ironic isn't it.

He is not a global multi-billion corporation that produces electronical devices for money

If you have money for a console and games you can also afford a smartphone or laptop. 

Snesboy said:
Rogerioandrade said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

While I do agree that voice chat can be toxic and there are a lot of immature morons, couldn't they have just added voice chat support with friends?

I wonder the same thing. They did it with Mario Kart right? It doesn´t make sense not implementing it  in Splatoon.

For me, the lack of voice chat is no big deal.  I never use it. I may use skype or any other tool to chat with them thought the PC, if really necessary. Still, I do think this was a huge mistake. This  is a team game, and communication between members is essential.

Mario Kart 8 has voice chat?

Yep.  But only with friends and when in the lobby, no voice chat among strangers or during races.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Kane1389 said:

If you have money for a console and games you can also afford a smartphone or laptop. 

So you're saying that the WiiU packaging should have a little "batteries not included" portion that says "cellphone or laptop necessary for voice chat not included".  Later they could even make a bundle with a laptop.  

It's toxic to chat with your friends. Save me Nintendo.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Torillian said:
Samus Aran said:

So you're saying that the WiiU packaging should have a little "batteries not included" portion that says "cellphone or laptop necessary for voice chat not included".  Later they could even make a bundle with a laptop.  

No, I'm saying everyone already has a laptop and/or smartphone.

Far more people own those things than game consoles. They're a million times more useful. You can't finish school here unless you own a computer. 

You're just making a big problem out of nothing. Skype and Teamspeak are in fact better than the crappy voice chat clients found in games.

Samus Aran said:
Torillian said:

Far more people own those things than game consoles. They're a million times more useful. You can't finish school here unless you own a computer. 

You're just making a big problem out of nothing. Skype and Teamspeak are in fact better than the crappy voice chat clients found in games.

But there is obviously a benefit of convenience to use client-side voice chat.  Not having to get a laptop or phone set up beside you being the most obvious.  

Just dismissing this as a non-issue because you can solve it with outside hardware seems ridiculous.  Making a big problem out of this is obviously disingenuous as it isn't a deal breaker to many if any but it's just as disingenuous to say that it's nothing.  

Torillian said:
Samus Aran said:

But there is obviously a benefit of convenience to use client-side voice chat.  Not having to get a laptop or phone set up beside you being the most obvious.  

Just dismissing this as a non-issue because you can solve it with outside hardware seems ridiculous.  Making a big problem out of this is obviously disingenuous as it isn't a deal breaker to many if any but it's just as disingenuous to say that it's nothing.  

Most people have their phones on them the entire time.