By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles X will have paid DLC quests

torok said:

The problem is that the guy isn't a serious player, because most of his points just show that he is one of the guys that rush againts people with guns that have a situational advantage. You don't try to fight a hunting rifle at distance, you don't take a shotgunner in close quarters. His points:

It still provides an environment where players who pay have more flexibility to adapt to game conditions or have advantages over other players in specified situations. As I stated, it is far from being as imbalanced as Korean Pay to Win, but it still provides in game benefits to those willing to pay for them. It also messes with the meta game in ways that only players with the DLC weapons are able to effect and react to to some extent.

While it is not exactly "pay to win" it seems to objectively be "pay to get some degree of an advantage"

Around the Network

Well they better be big and interesting quests for me to even consider them.

For a game that has already 100+ hours, not to mention supposed to be like 300+ hours, I don't see the need to buy any dlc quests.

So as I said, they better be very inticing to even get me to consider them.

sundin13 said:

It still provides an environment where players who pay have more flexibility to adapt to game conditions or have advantages over other players in specified situations. As I stated, it is far from being as imbalanced as Korean Pay to Win, but it still provides in game benefits to those willing to pay for them. It also messes with the meta game in ways that only players with the DLC weapons are able to effect and react to to some extent.

While it is not exactly "pay to win" it seems to objectively be "pay to get some degree of an advantage"

If you play the game, you will see that there isn't any advantage. The basic kit (in their strongest situations) is:

- Long range: hunting rifle.

- Medium range: semi auto, revolver

- Short range: burst rifle, shorty

These are the best weapons, because they are flexible (working more than one range, semi, revolver and burst) or just too good in their job (HR, shorty).

Saying that you get advantage shows that you didn't played the game or simply didn't played it enough like I surely did (and do). You are trying to create a problem that isn't there, simply because the best weapons aren't the DLC ones and the regular weapons already serves all situations. This game isn't CoD or BF where a gun can give you the advantage. The focus here is awareness and knowing how to face the enemy in a situation where you have the advantage. If you play with a shorty, you will try to jump right in front of him and bring the game to close quarters. If you are into the hunting rifle, you will camp and try to get them at suply boxes and transition areas.

I personally play with the burst rifle. At close quarters, it beats anything except and upgraded shorty or shotgun. At medium distance, it's efficient if you know how to use the recoil to get a HS. I can even use it at longer ranges.

If I had to call some weapons "unbalanced", number one would be the hunting rifle tied with the military sniper. A good headshoter gets to much power: he can easily down 2 guys and your team will be rushed. Number 2 is the shotgun. Just try to get any of these DLC guns and run on a shotgunner. Call a friend to run with you too. Both will be down. DLC guns are mostly a joke. Do notice that these weapons are still pretty fair if you know what to do.

People complaining are noobs that run on shotgunners, try to long range firefight snipers and think that body armor saves anyone from a flamethrower. If you know how to approach this guys in the distance that helps you, they are dead. A shotgun is useless at 30ft or a HR at 5ft. I don't need DLC guns to put down a guy that thinks that a shorty works at 20ft. And there are plenty of them.

I myself have the season pass so I have all DLC packages except the last one. My main weapon is the burst. I always use furtivity. The only DLC perk that's decent is scavenger, easily replaceable for creator or medic. Oh, and the biggest proof that the article is bullocks is that the guy never talked about the absolutely best DLC gun: the enforcer. That one is a great pistol and an amazing second weapon. It's the only one that's as good as the revolver. Both are jack of all trades and they are amazing.

just like skyrim

sigh... here we go... No thanks. 300 hrs is enough already for me, thanks.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
torok said:

If you play the game, you will see that there isn't any advantage. The basic kit (in their strongest situations) is:

My point stands...I am not claiming any of these weapons to be overpowered. I am saying that the variety of weapons, skills and purchasables give players an advantage over those who do not pay for DLC.

I also think that the complaints are widespread enough to lend creedence to the opinion that at some level, this messes with the balancing of the game putting players on unequal footing. It also restricts players who do not wish to pay to a smaller set of playstyles which is problematic in its own right. It is worth noting that games are balanced at multiple levels, not just for high level competitive play. If at the standard levels, this harms the game (which numerous players seem to be stating it does), that is a problem.

If you want to introduce additional weapons into a competitive game, make the update free because in almost every situation, it will put players on uneven footing and alter the meta of the game. This was a full priced retail game...we shouldn't be seeing stuff like this.

Mummelmann said:
sundin13 said:

I know...but for some reason people decide to assume the worse whenever the mention of DLC comes up in relation to Nintendo.

To be honest, for many people this could also be due to the fact that many Nintendo fans (especially here on vgchartz) have been quite vocal about DLC and how it is ruining gaming (a point I partially agree with, to tell the truth, I have never bought DLC myself but I have bought Gold Editions where it is added, or GOTY editions). But the same folks are mostly quite accepting of Nintendo's DLC. For me; DLC is not good news no matter who makes it and you often get very little content for an unfair price (Oblivion and Dragon Age:Origins are the most ridiculous examples here).

Expansion packs are cool and I get those all the time, especially the bigger ones for strategy games and the like, but DLC is a blight on the industry imo.

Thank you good sir for stating the actual situation here.

DLC on Nintendo systems is hardly new, so I don't understand why these threads always get the responses they do. Getting pretty sick of being told how I'm a hypocrite because Wii fans made fun of Call of Duty several years ago.

Anyways, I'll need to see what this DLC entails before deciding if I'm interested or not. If it consists of additional story, classes, or new weapon types, I'll probably check it out. If it's just a random quest to kill a Meandering Bellamy on a certain day of the week...I'll probably pass.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

sundin13 said:

My point stands...I am not claiming any of these weapons to be overpowered. I am saying that the variety of weapons, skills and purchasables give players an advantage over those who do not pay for DLC.

I also think that the complaints are widespread enough to lend creedence to the opinion that at some level, this messes with the balancing of the game putting players on unequal footing. It also restricts players who do not wish to pay to a smaller set of playstyles which is problematic in its own right. It is worth noting that games are balanced at multiple levels, not just for high level competitive play. If at the standard levels, this harms the game (which numerous players seem to be stating it does), that is a problem.

If you want to introduce additional weapons into a competitive game, make the update free because in almost every situation, it will put players on uneven footing and alter the meta of the game. This was a full priced retail game...we shouldn't be seeing stuff like this.

Have you ever played the game online? If you did, what's your level? I'm almost 400. I play with top players. The weapons aren't adding variety, because they are simply repeating the same situations other guns are and sometimes even being less flexible. It's long, medium and short range. That's it. The problem here is that you are discussing a game you don't play, based on an article writen by a guy that played just a bit with someone who plays it since launch non-stop with the best players. And guess what, none of them are running around with DLC guns. A lot of snipers, a lot of semi autos, a decent ammount of burst rifles and some shorty runners.

What makes people complain is that they start to play the game like it was CoD and try to run against a full team and end up being slaughtered. The gun doesn't matter in TLOU. Awareness, stealth and strategy does. Setting up a trap does.

Nintendo DLC has been excellent from what I've seen on the Wii U to be honest. Also I doubt anyone will say that Xenoblade Chronicles X is not a good value when looking at the game without DLC, unless the genre just isn't your taste.