By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - XCX new biggest Nintendo game at 22.7GB

Was it ever revealed what Monolith Soft and Nintendo were working on in order to get the game to run smoother on a disk? You guys remember about a month ago there was a lot of discussion about how Monolith Soft was working on some "fix" or "feature" to get the game to run faster if you play it on a disk? People were speculating it was the ability to download some sections of the game from the disk onto the Wii U's hard drive. But I don't think Monolith has ever clarified what they were talking about.

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:

Dragon Age Inquision is 25.5GB on my PC. Thats with tons of audio, a fairly large world and higher res textures soooo.

Bioware does magic too. They are very good on this stuff imo.

This thread has the same potential to end up like the splatoon: A harmless topic that will turn into a pile of s#!t.

You make a single comparison and BOOM console wars

We reap what we sow

SpokenTruth said:
uran10 said:

um.. Xenoblade had quite a lot of cutscenes and this will probably have a lot more. just saying.

I think he's referiing to pre-rendered cutscenes.  Most of (if not all of) Xenoblade's scenes were using the in-game engine which doesn't add much to the file size as pre-rendered video does.

Yeah all fo them were in-game. Nintendo doesn't believe in pre-rendered cutscenes(for the most part)

SubiyaCryolite said:
Goodnightmoon said:
teigaga said:
So this debunks the theory of Nintendo having magical compression. It all comes down to the type of game

Or this game would be 60 GB on other hands, How can we know?

This game is waaaay bigger than all those 50GB games lately.

Dragon Age Inquision is 25.5GB on my PC. Thats with tons of audio, a fairly large world and higher res textures soooo.

So maybe Nintendo's "magical compression" still exists, because Monolith Soft is the one that made XCX, not Nintendo. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
uran10 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Yeah that´s true.  Nintendo is not very cutscene friendly. 

um.. Xenoblade had quite a lot of cutscenes and this will probably have a lot more. just saying.

But those cutscenes are diferent, they don´t add almost any weight because they are made with the game graphics.

And 1 game out of 100 doesn´t change the fact that Nintend is not cutscene friendly.

uran10 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

They'll propably be ingame though, that comes with lots of audio files which tend to be fairly large.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

uran10 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

But they aren't quote on quote HD photorealistic, but rendered using the same game engine which allows it to make a considerable difference in file size.

Metallox said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

So maybe Nintendo's "magical compression" still exists, because Monolith Soft is the one that made XCX, not Nintendo. 

*facepalm*

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Goodnightmoon said:
Teeqoz said:

Those 50 GB games lately have higher quality assets and more live video (cutscenes) than this game.

They are also waaaaay smaller in content and world size.

Content and world size =/= huge file sizes.

Huge worlds can be accomplished with clever reusing of assets (I can promise you Monolith Soft did that).

BTW only pre rendered cutscenes take up a lot off space, in engine cutscenes don't.