By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft's E3 will not be all about VR and AR Phil Spencer promises.

Protendo said:

Did anyone expect differently? Seems like an obvious conclusion for all the major players.

Goatseye said:
AR technology is much more ambitious than VR. I can't wait to know and see more about it.

As someone who has experience both, VR is superior. While I don't agree with the full article, this might give some insight on why that is. I can't say why, I can just say that through the demo's I've tested I'd chose VR every time. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873675/why-virtual-reality-is-better-than-augmented-reality-for-gaming.html

If you enjoy the FPS genre, it's going to be VR or bust.

I'm gonna assume you tried Hololens.

Around the Network

Here's another article so you don't have to take my word on it. After experiencing HTC's VR, it's no comparison in the current state for gaming. I can't predict the future, hell I was the guy that said go Plasma in the past. Now Plasma (which I still believe has the superior picture quality at the same resolution) has been phased out.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/21/microsoft-hololens-hands-on/

Protendo said:

Here's another article so you don't have to take my word on it. After experiencing HTC's VR, it's no comparison in the current state for gaming. I can't predict the future, hell I was the guy that said go Plasma in the past. Now Plasma (which I still believe has the superior picture quality at the same resolution) has been phased out.

It sounds just like Morpheus and Oculus Rift a year ago with their "rough around the edges" demo. And the article agrees with me, AR is very exciting. It's not just a screen strapped to your face.

Goatseye said:
Protendo said:

It sounds just like Morpheus and Oculus Rift a year ago with their "rough around the edges" demo. And the article agrees with me, AR is very exciting. It's not just a screen strapped to your face.

It has it's purpose, it just hasn't been proven for gaming yet.

Protendo said:

It has it's purpose, it just hasn't been proven for gaming yet.

I'm not in rush. What we gamers learned this gen is that, devs should take as long as they want to perfect their software.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
I hope there isn't any AR/VR at all.

But i want to see more AR abd VR,    , how does it work in real life implemantation, does it live up the hype or not, does it really work and so on. Only this device that i give a big thumb to Microsoft beside Windows 10.

Burek said:
Chazore said:

Well W10 is supposed to be out this year and this has to be the millionth time MS has tried "committing" to PC gaming so yeah I'd like some commitment this year than next, there will obviously be some Xbox news but there has to be some PC gaming news in there unless they want to blow off the promises they've made a few weeks to months back.

Of course, that was my point. E3 will be the perfect place to talk about all thinga W10, it's supposed to launch soon thereafter. And with so many projects centering on PC gaming, it is only realiastic that XBox needs not to be the focus of their show.

It will be exciting to see what MS has in store to attract PC gamers, that is after all the biggest gaming platform.

pretty sure build conference will hold that spot... E3 has become more a console gaming show over the years... And they don't really have to commit much... Windows PC are and will be the best platform to game for years to come... Whether SteamOS likes
it or not..,

build 2015 is end of the month... No need to wait for E3... The true PC master race watches build not E3...

Ka-pi96 said:
I hope there isn't any AR/VR at all.

Same here, I would like it to be all Xbox. Maybe Windows 10 gaming stuff too.

bananaking21 said:
GribbleGrunger said:
bananaking21 said:

yeah exactly how i feel. it makes it seem like "dont worry, there wont be any VR there!!". thats not a good thing if you ask me. AR on the other hand is proven to be sucky for gaming, so its better off not being there.

With everyone interested in what Morpheus has to offer, you would think that MS would want a part of that in some shape or form. They've even hinted at having VR themselves at some point in the future. This tells me that they're not that interested in VR and not only that but they want to send a message out that VR isn't that interesting to the 'gamer'. 'We absolutely promise we won't waste your time with VR' is basically what he's suggesting there. Now I'm confident that Sony are going to show a lot of stuff on Morpheus at E3, and clearly Phil is too.

well in all fairness he did mention AR too, but yeah i agree with what you said. but reality is if they dont show VR is a downside, it means they are very far away from ever releasing it (IF they even are). Sony already said they will be showing off VR games at E3. VR is that next huge step in gaming, at least it has the potential to be, insinuating that VR might be a bad thing to show at E3 is hilarious. 

I'd take AR like hololens in gaming over VR any day of the week... Because AR has way more depth potential than VR has.... VR is old tech it's pretty much 2 screens taped to your eyes with a Kinect tracker just for your head... Nothing really new and revolutionizing they just move your FPS thumb stick movement to your head... Big deal.....

AR on the other hand can do way more especially coupled with other tech like 3D and full body motion sensing...

anyway tried VR tech in gaming over a decade ago and yes it was impressive then... Not really moved by it much today...

>ctrl f - sports
>0 results

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.