By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Report: Retro Studios is Working on a Secret Wii U Game With a New Engine

Tagged games:

To those pining for F Zero, do not despair, FAST Racing Neo is coming! In 2017 at this rate, bloody thing's become Wii U's Last Guardian...

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
hsrob said:

So you don't know the series, that's fine, but someone who doesn't know a series is never going to advocate for a sequel and their opinion on whether a sequel is 'deserved' is missing some rather critical information. Sales-wise you can make a decent case, quality-wise you can't.

I agree Mario Kart is more fun but F-Zero is a much purer racing experience and is much more challenging, they are VERY different games.  It baffles me when people liken Metroid to Halo and the like, I would contend that this comparison is equally stretched. Overall I prefer Mario Kart too but I would still love to see another F-Zero game as its been 12 long years since the last console version.

Having said all that, I strongly feel that Retro would be wasted on it.

I never talked about the quality of F-Zero. Nintendo is a business, they look at sales. If a good game doesn't sell than the concept is flawed.

Of course I won't complain if Nintendo outsources it to a third party studio. The last one was made by Sega.

But if sales was the only factor in the equation why did games like Fire Emblem, Sin and Punishment (and others) get sequels?

Or conversely, why haven't we gotten a sequel to Wii Music which outsold a number of games which have seen, or are going to see, sequels on the WiiU?

I hate to say it but a Diddy Kong Racing U would probably outsell a Metroid Prime 4, but then again Nintendo sorta seemed like they promised fans a Metroid somewhere. Though that doesn't necessarily mean Retro is working on it.

curl-6 said:

To those pining for F Zero, do not despair, FAST Racing Neo is coming! In 2017 at this rate, bloody thing's become Wii U's Last Guardian...

April 1st has been and gone :P

Soundwave said:
I hate to say it but a Diddy Kong Racing U would probably outsell a Metroid Prime 4

In terms of software maybe, but I suspect it would do less for their image and hardware sales though. They already got backlash for Tropical Freeze, going a whole gen only making conservative cartoonish games on a HD console would not be well recieved.

Around the Network

How much hating. F-Zero: shit, Metroid: shit, diddy kong racing: shit, kid icarus: shit

Nintendo fans, do you even know what you want? Jesus...

CarcharodonKraz said:
this isn't even close to news! As long as it's not a 2d sidescroller i don't care. It will probably be awesome. I'd prefer they not be the ones to bring back eternal darkness i suppose

You'll get Cranky Returns: Donkey Kong Country and you'll like it :P

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:
I hate to say it but a Diddy Kong Racing U would probably outsell a Metroid Prime 4

In terms of software maybe, but I suspect it would do less for their image and hardware sales though. They already got backlash for Tropical Freeze, going a whole gen only making conservative cartoonish games on a HD console would not be well recieved.

Nothing is boosting the Wii U at this point anyway. 

DKR makes some sense -- they did work on the Donkey Kong series before. They did work on Mario Kart 7 and Nintendo was apparently happy with their work on it. 

And if Nintendo could revive Diddy Kong Racing, they would have two good selling racing franchises. 

I wouldn't mind all that much to be honest. Diddy Kong Racing was a lot of fun. 

Maybe some other team is already working on Metroid anyway (Sakamoto? NST?). 

Kid Icarus would be awesome too ... that IP has so much franchise potenial and the story/characters were 100x more charming than most Nintendo IPs. If Retro were to make a Kid Icarus game for Wii U that would be *awesome*. 

hsrob said:
Samus Aran said:
hsrob said:

So you don't know the series, that's fine, but someone who doesn't know a series is never going to advocate for a sequel and their opinion on whether a sequel is 'deserved' is missing some rather critical information. Sales-wise you can make a decent case, quality-wise you can't.

I agree Mario Kart is more fun but F-Zero is a much purer racing experience and is much more challenging, they are VERY different games.  It baffles me when people liken Metroid to Halo and the like, I would contend that this comparison is equally stretched. Overall I prefer Mario Kart too but I would still love to see another F-Zero game as its been 12 long years since the last console version.

I never talked about the quality of F-Zero. Nintendo is a business, they look at sales. If a good game doesn't sell than the concept is flawed.

Of course I won't complain if Nintendo outsources it to a third party studio. The last one was made by Sega.

But if sales was the only factor in the equation why did games like Fire Emblem, Sin and Punishment (and others) get sequels?

Or conversely, why haven't we gotten a sequel to Wii Music which outsold a number of games which have seen, or are going to see, sequels on the WiiU?

Because those games would fail on the Wii U. Look at Wii Fit U and Wii Sports Club.

Samus Aran said:
hsrob said:
Samus Aran said:
hsrob said:

Because those games would fail on the Wii U. Look at Wii Fit U and Wii Sports Club.

Yes :) and Nintendo reaffirmed their committment to the core gamer on the WiiU, hence why F-Zero is a good choice.  Mario Kart is for filthy casuals :P