By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - IF SONY FAILS.......

Around the Network

your mother said:

I don't want anyone to fail, but if anything good is to come out of the Sony ordeal, it would be nice that the Playstation 3 "failed" (with quotes).

Before you all start jumping on me, hear me out: Necessity is the mother of invention. Nintendo had this problem for the past two generations, and they made some radical changes to their philosophy (as well as bringing in a new CEO) and by being forced to think outside the box they have innovated and injected new blood into their company.

If you've read the Art of War, Sony is the equivalent of the cornered rat that will do everything possible to survive because it has nothing left to lose. Hence, you may not see it this generation, but I bet that the PS4 will be a completely different, innovative and more importantly, competitive beast to reckon with. With Kutaragi out of the picture, I'm willing to wager that they are already walking this path.

I have that same hunch.

If any of you kept a close eye on the patents Sony has put forth and the deal it made with an Israeli company (Not sure what their name is), basically think of it as the Wii controller but on huge, massive anabolics. Minority Report should come to mind. Link. Or, taste and smell in gaming could be a reality. 

This could very well be the next PSP 2.

Don't know how it will translate or if any of these ideas will see the light of day, but if they do come out, I hope they don't charge for the damn thing like they did for the PS3.

Legend11 said:
your mother said:
Legend11 said:
your mother said:

Isn't the "Microsoft leaving the industry if Sony bails" reference from this thread?

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=1423

It's a independent piece of journalism - an opinion, kind of like what we do posting here everyday, but without the respectability of Mr Malstrom!

Personally, I think MS won't leave if Sony bails out. Microsoft have stated the Xbox division will be profitable sometime next year, so if they do reach this milestone what purpose would they have then of leaving?

I am of the opinion that Microsoft will leave the industry no matter what if by the third generation they do not manage to consistently be profitable - there is only so much that shareholders will be willing to put up with in terms of losses, and 15 years (3 generations) is plenty of time to let long-term visions and planning run its course.

As to why MS won't leave just yet even if Sony does? Well, my bet is on their medium-term goals starting to unfold. Games for Windows, cross-platform gaming, Vista Ultimate which comes with the Media Center built-in, Zunes with Halo 3 shells, peripherals designed for your living room, IPTV, Xbox live HD downloads and the Elite - all these are MS's convergent weapons for living room dominance, but the proverbial chess pieces aren't in place yet for the checkmate.

Not that I think they will succeed, but I just don't think they are quite there yet for the final assault, and long-term business strategies tend to run their course anyhow.

Someone on a Wii fansite wrote it, well then I stand by my comment about it being a Wii fanboy's dream.

Right. See highlighted.

BTW, didn't you say you were leaving the forum? Just curious... I guess it wasn't a permanent leave?

I find it hard to take articles from a wii fanstite (or xbox or sony fansites for that matter) seriously when they write an opinion piece about the competition. it may be independent of Nintendo but that that doesn't also mean that it's automatically unbiased.

Oh, I agree with you, and I hardly think it's unbiased (just as you said) but it is a valid piece of opinion, just like yours! And while it may be a fanboy's dream, dreams can come true.

I just think you missed the point of my post completely:

- I was first addressing the issue of the missing Microsoft quote that was being discussed in previous posts on this thread, not necessarily agreeing with the quote.

- My post was almost completely focused on Microsoft, not Nintendo nor Sony, so your comment about Nintendo fanboy dreams struck me as a bit odd, especially since I don't even mention Nintendo in my post at all! 

Poseidon said:

your mother said:

I don't want anyone to fail, but if anything good is to come out of the Sony ordeal, it would be nice that the Playstation 3 "failed" (with quotes).

Before you all start jumping on me, hear me out: Necessity is the mother of invention. Nintendo had this problem for the past two generations, and they made some radical changes to their philosophy (as well as bringing in a new CEO) and by being forced to think outside the box they have innovated and injected new blood into their company.

If you've read the Art of War, Sony is the equivalent of the cornered rat that will do everything possible to survive because it has nothing left to lose. Hence, you may not see it this generation, but I bet that the PS4 will be a completely different, innovative and more importantly, competitive beast to reckon with. With Kutaragi out of the picture, I'm willing to wager that they are already walking this path.

I have that same hunch.

If any of you kept a close eye on the patents Sony has put forth and the deal it made with an Israeli company (Not sure what their name is), basically think of it as the Wii controller but on huge, massive anabolics. Minority Report should come to mind. Link. Or, taste and smell in gaming could be a reality.

This could very well be the next PSP 2.

Don't know how it will translate or if any of these ideas will see the light of day, but if they do come out, I hope they don't charge for the damn thing like they did for the PS3.

Like you said, many companies continually apply for patents and most of them never see the light of day. For instance, Atari patented a device that you could wear on your head and simply by "thinking" where you wanted the cursor to go the cursor would move accordingly. This was around the mid-80s, if my ever-fading memory still serves me. However, nothing ever came out of it from Atari (although other companies are starting to pick up the baton).

About smell, there actually was a device during the nascent years of the Internet (early 90s) that allowed you to smell "stuff". It cost around 1000USD, hence it never really took off as a consumer product, but the inventors' goal was to use this device for online grocery shopping. I can see this usage, but in games I'm afraid smell would in most cases be an extreme turn-off.

As humans we are hard-wired to feel repulsed by certain smells, mainly those of decomposing organics and body waste/fluids. I can just see it now: You are playing Doom4 with rotting corpses all over a burning hell on flames - I don't think I'd want a "smell-blaster" - ever - for that sensation!

A similar device is being used in select theaters in Japan now, I believe by Sony themselves, but with a definite focus on "pleasant" smells.

As for the motion-sensing patents, this was to be expected, judging by Nintendo's success with the Wii. Honestly, only good can come out of this, and I already can't wait to see what the next generation of consoles has in store for us!

There is another factor to consider in this which I havn't seen anyone mention. That being Sony's plan to make the PS3 an effective Linux computer on top of being the 'convergence technology' everyone's been talking about for years. My brother has been wanting a PS3 (but can't afford it) for exactly this reason (he hates MS). With the threat of PS3 introducing mass Linux use, there is no way MS will pull out of the console war irregardless of how many billions it may lose. Not unless Sony does first (and there's no threat of an Apple I-console). I also question if MS even wants to make a '720'. I suspect they'd rather reinvigorate the PC game scene (ala Vista) and let that compete with the 9th generation, but again x-box will remain as long as it serves to fend off linux/Mac OS game systems. Sony is also relunctant to leave as long as PS3 stands to help it win the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war. The assumption is, if they kill HD-DVD, then PS3's will sell like crazy. Umm... maybe... If Wii hasn't converted too maybe people and publishers already. If Sony loses the format war (or can't win decisively) I expect we'll see a PS4 (and a lot sooner than the 10 years that they brag about) that's quite different than the PS3 but they'll still want to become the hub of the living room so they can sell Sony music and movies directly to you (instead of letting MS or Apple become the gateway provider). But they may seperate the convergence strategy from thier PlayStation system, or make a Wii-like convergence PS4 system (IE: Less focus on graphics, more on simplicity and fun). MS would respond in kind. But if Sony and MS pull out. I bet is on either Apple or that British maverick Sir Richard Branson to introduce a Virgin Games System. Hey why not? Look at how diverse his Virgin line is - airline, cellphones, comic books...

Around the Network

Oh thx very much.  Yea I've pondered this a lot as to what will happen to all 3 companies depending on placement and so I had a lot to say.  Been waiting for a topic like this.

But glad you like it.  Thx. 

Anyone here actually keep up with Sega? I'm a big fan of theirs. But some of the comments about them lead me to actually wonder how close people pay attention to the company. I assume people are aware that Sega STILL makes hardware.... Last I heard they are the leading hardware manufacturer for arcades over in Japan, and they also make quite a hefty load of arcades for the U.S. too. Sega certainly has been on the ropes for the last few years, but if you look at their portfolio, they have actually been making profits for the last few years.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

I don't know where that was going but if it was goign this way I will say it. The chances of sega ever making another console are slim chances to about none. It just really isn't going to happen.

Zucas said:
I don't know where that was going but if it was goign this way I will say it. The chances of sega ever making another console are slim chances to about none. It just really isn't going to happen.

Yeah but don't you wonder, who would com eup out of the workd to be a competitor, i was looking tinot concept art, and systems that were concepted just never released, there is actually a lot of systems, check this link

http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/unreleased.htm

iPlay will exist.