By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - IF SONY FAILS.......

Quantum-Tarantino said:
Legend11 said:
Quantum-Tarantino said:
Neos said:
Cause Sega would create a totally different market for themselves, nintendo would be keeping the casuals and sega would be having the real gamers to themselves.

Stop with the attacks, nothing makes a nintendo player any less real than a Sega player, or Sony game player.

Enough Quantum, in another thread I saw you slam the 360 saying it's selling "FAR" better than it should be so you should be the last person posting stuff like this.

Taking posts out of context in order to make an attack is low Legend11, find that thread, re-read the post, and this yime, UNDERSTAND what was said.

Legend has attacked me on a couple different posts as well.

Around the Network

AMD could do it cheap, they already own the CPU+GPU which is a good chunk of the costs so it would cut the price down a lot.. Unfortunately I don't think AMD is that well known and I don't think they could afford the risk, R&D for the next gen of GPU and CPU takes almost everything they've got. To get great games requires great sales and great sales requires great games....The Wii did it with a Killer ap. Wii sports. It sold the system look at the attach rate in Japan. So it needs to be: *Powerful enough to be "ok" *Cheap enough for people to take a risk and buy *Have something that makes it different from what is there already but able to handle what already exists for easy ports. *Have a killer game that makes people want to buy it. *A known brand (it would help) *Good First party support *Amazing PR. *Big Budget.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

EA

Dolla Dolla said:
Biggest problem with the possibility of Sony failing is the studios that support them. What happens, do they disband and become third party, or sink with the ship? I'd hate to see great development houses that created God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Resistance: Fall of Man, and Motorstorm suddenly drop off the face of the earth.

Actually that wouldn't happen.  When  company either dies out or leaves a market they usually sale their properities that were worthwhile to that market.  I mean it's not only giving them more money but why hold on to something you don't need.  Saw it with Acclaim after they went bankrupt and sold their properties.  So those properties would probably be sold to the big players left in the industry such as Nintendo, EA, Sega, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, or Square.

jstam said:
EA

I thought about EA they have an amazing software line up and a great range of games that are for all ages, but there whole business relies on multiplatform games, it would be a very bad move for them to go exclusive as they would lose a huge amount of money.

If they didn't go exclusive, then there wouldn't be a great reason to buy the console....unless they go semi exclusive and just have a  few of there best games on there system alone. Moving over more games as they sale more systems......Still I can't see them taking that kind of risk....it's an interesting idea though.

I'm pretty sure it would have to be a hardware player to move into this field, there isn't many software companies like Microsoft around.

Around the Network
Vengi said:
AMD could do it cheap, they already own the CPU+GPU which is a good chunk of the costs so it would cut the price down a lot.. Unfortunately I don't think AMD is that well known and I don't think they could afford the risk, R&D for the next gen of GPU and CPU takes almost everything they've got. To get great games requires great sales and great sales requires great games....The Wii did it with a Killer ap. Wii sports. It sold the system look at the attach rate in Japan. So it needs to be: *Powerful enough to be "ok" *Cheap enough for people to take a risk and buy *Have something that makes it different from what is there already but able to handle what already exists for easy ports. *Have a killer game that makes people want to buy it. *A known brand (it would help) *Good First party support *Amazing PR. *Big Budget.

AMD, hmm interesting, how bout ATI??.or they could partner with someone, I think Trip hawkins(3DO) partnered with Panasonic to relese it, im not sure but , partnerships don't usually work though.right?

dpmnymkrprez said:
Vengi said:

AMD, hmm interesting, how bout ATI??.or they could partner with someone, I think Trip hawkins(3DO) partnered with Panasonic to relese it, im not sure but , partnerships don't usually work though.right?

AMD bought ATI :)

I would REEEAAALLLY like to see that MS quote too. I don't quite understand why MS would leave the console business if Sony did too. Why would they leave if their only power console competitor is gone? They would just get more market share and more money if that happened. Leaving would not make any sense at all.

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

Serious question: does this seem like a realistic possibility to most people here? Just curious. It's nearly impossible for me to imagine what it's like to lose billions of dollars, but Sony's done it, and then turned that loss into billions of dollars of profit (it is important to point out that their net profits were actually fairly thin).

My point: I'm naive to sophisticated corporate strategy. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

GOOGLE, they have the money and they are doing everything