By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics VS Gameplay VS Story. Which is more important to you?

Gameplay always important, story, it depends on each single game (some games need a great story, others benefit from a thin, barely sketched one, others need some things narrated more accurately and others vaguer, to give more freedom), graphics just need to be decent for me, but anything better is obviusly welcome.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Gameplay over story over graphics.

Great gameplay is always my top priority, a good story comes after that, and as long as the graphics are decent, I don't care.

To have all three top notch would be best though. And top notch graphics doesn't necessarily mean photo realism (too me), different artstyles fit different games.

Most games have absolutely horrific stories, anyway. But I would wager that a game like Cave Story of Chrono Trigger would leave people feeling more satisfied than a lot of over produced eighth gen fare.

Gameplay > story > graphics.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Story = Gameplay > Graphics

What good is gameplay if you dont enjoy the story, and what good is the story if you don't enjoy playing it. Growing up with Nintendo 8bit graphics, I can play games that aren't visually stunning.

Pretty much exactly what I wanted to say, so I'll just quote you if you don't mind. :) 

Very few games get all 3 components right and very few game designers know how to marry all 3 components in a way that's fun and accessible. 

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Gameplay is most important, but story and graphics can make a game more memorable. Most of my favourite games have exceptional storylines

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Story = Gameplay > Graphics

Mr.Playstation said:

Nowadays we can say that a game is made up of three main parts. These consist of the story which includes the characters found in the game and the plot of the game itself, the gameplay which includes how one controls the characters in the game and the graphics which include well how the game looks on screen. So what I want to know from you guys is which part is more important to you in a game and wheter or not you can live without one of these three parts in a video game ( Such as a game with absoloutly no story or horrible graphics yet amazing gameplay ).

gameplay>story>graphics... some type of games can have shitty gameplay with amazing story by design and that is fine! (point and click games and Heavy Rain... Beyond two souls sucks tho)

ReimTime said:
Gameplay is most important, but story and graphics can make a game more memorable. Most of my favourite games have exceptional storylines

this is realy funny with the mgs gif beneath.^^