By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction - Sony will sell Playstation before the end of this generation

Roronaa_chan said:

Sony has been set on a path intent on increasing the value of the Playstation brand. Aside from creating services such as PS Now and PS Vue, the rebranding of old services such as Music unlimited and others with a new name including the PS brand, Sony wants to drive up the price as much as possible. Fattening the pig before the slaughter, so to speak. Seeing as how, despite its "success", it doesn't bring much in the way of profit to the company, they'll sell it when the price is right to fill some of their financial holes and pursue the few more profitable avenues they have instead of PS.

Well, this came from nowhere....

Around the Network
Roronaa_chan said:

Sony has been set on a path intent on increasing the value of the Playstation brand. Aside from creating services such as PS Now and PS Vue, the rebranding of old services such as Music unlimited and others with a new name including the PS brand, Sony wants to drive up the price as much as possible. Fattening the pig before the slaughter, so to speak. Seeing as how, despite its "success", it doesn't bring much in the way of profit to the company, they'll sell it when the price is right to fill some of their financial holes and pursue the few more profitable avenues they have instead of PS.

Eh? I think the game division is the second best performing division in Sony behind their financial division. And it's been that way for a couple of years. Along with financial it's been the division which prevented Sony from actually going bankrupt.

The only reason Sony would sell Playstation is if it was going into total liquidation and folding as a company. So is that what you're actually predicting Sony will break itself up and sell various divisions as going concerns to the highest bidder some time in the next 4 or 5 years? It's possible, if Sony doesn't turn itself around financially, but all signs are pointing to Sony returning to profit in the next financial year.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I rather think Playstation will be the core of Sony's business.

They're not going to sell an asset that's just going to get more and more profitable in years to come (when they have the install base to make bank on software). Also Kaz is in charge and wouldn't sell his baby which he has stated is a pillar of the company going forward. Kaz won't leave because they're FINALLY profitable. They have a bankable global brand in Playstation. It dominates in every section of the globe other than the US and UK and even there it is leading this generation. They will make the majority of their profits on the back end of this gen but PS4 has proven that they can make nice money throughout the gen without huge losses like before when they launched a product (and that's with PS3 not being as successful to hold the numbers up like PS2 did at its launch and Vita failing dragging it down). I don't see the logic of selling when they're guaranteed profit as long as they don't pull a PS3 launch again.

I am Iron Man

Doubt it, sadly lol.(I think PS would do better w/o Sony dragging it down in the future). I think PS will become the main buissness for Sony, higher than Japanese insurance! (which they tottally should bring in the west and maybe the small troubles will be gone.)

Darwinianevolution said:

If Sony sells Playstation that would mean Sony is completelybankrupt. And if that was the case, the future of Playstation would be the least of the problems that would cause.

No they wouldn't be bankrupt I think. They have the Japanese insurance and about 2 other profitable areas.  They still have a ton in the bank anyway.

binary solo said:
Roronaa_chan said:

Sony has been set on a path intent on increasing the value of the Playstation brand. Aside from creating services such as PS Now and PS Vue, the rebranding of old services such as Music unlimited and others with a new name including the PS brand, Sony wants to drive up the price as much as possible. Fattening the pig before the slaughter, so to speak. Seeing as how, despite its "success", it doesn't bring much in the way of profit to the company, they'll sell it when the price is right to fill some of their financial holes and pursue the few more profitable avenues they have instead of PS.

Eh? I think the game division is the second best performing division in Sony behind their financial division. And it's been that way for a couple of years. Along with financial it's been the division which prevented Sony from actually going bankrupt.

The only reason Sony would sell Playstation is if it was going into total liquidation and folding as a company. So is that what you're actually predicting Sony will break itself up and sell various divisions as going concerns to the highest bidder some time in the next 4 or 5 years? It's possible, if Sony doesn't turn itself around financially, but all signs are pointing to Sony returning to profit in the next financial year.

I;m always behind on such things, what are those?

Around the Network

Sony will not sell the Playstation devision but Sony will sell the rest of Sony. And in my opinion, a merger with Nintendo could be happening one day.

wha....I mean...what..erm...waaa. I don't even... what?

They already sold several Playstations

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Don't see it happening, PS is one of the biggest divisions of Sony in terms of profit

What is the more profit revenues they have now?

From what I gathered, this generation, PS will only reap huge profits.