By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: 8th generation is the worst generation in video game history

Meanwhile bloodborne is going to be one of the reasons alone to be a better gen than gen 1 or 2. When will people stop whining, each console generation is like an old diesel engine, it needs to warm up, before it reaches is potential. Warm up time is around 2 years to have 4/5 really great years with Zelda, Halo, Uncharted, Horizon, both GOW's, GT and a shitload of new IP's.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

This generation is last generation so far :O

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

RubberWhistleHistle said:
Hedra42 said:
It's not a fact, it's a proposal for debate. If it was presented as such, I might take it more seriously and have an intelligent conversation about it.

it is a fact. what generation could be worse? (and leave gens 1 and 2 out of it because that would be a cheap shot)

If it were a fact, there would be proof so irrefutable it would be pointless discussing it. Yet you feel the need to discuss it, which is contradictory. Also, I see you're changing the rules already to exclude gens that might threaten the viability of your so called 'fact'.

2nd gen was when the industry nuked itself. Unless this gen ends with the death of the industry as we know it, it can't compete with that.

I'm not saying it won't happen...

Hedra42 said:
It's not a fact, it's a proposal for debate. If it was presented as such, I might take it more seriously and have an intelligent conversation about it.

it is a fact. what generation could be worse? (and leave gens 1 and 2 out of it because that would be a cheap shot)

Were you an active game player during the third and fourth generation? They were full of derivative garbage. In fact, most generationshave been full of terrible games. One reason why this generation seems worse to you may be that for once the Japanese console launch happened later rather than earlier?

Anyway, as a 34-year-old who has been gaming since the NES, I don't see anything particularily bad about this gen compared to earlier ones - in fact, due to the re-emergence of small dev teams in the form of indies, I think this gen is looking to be better than the two previous ones.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
2nd gen was when the industry nuked itself. Unless this gen ends with the death of the industry as we know it, it can't compete with that.

lol,  thats exactly what i was thinking. i bet it will happen

LOOOOOL wrong homie , the atari/et era where gaming nearly died is the worst era bro
this gen is one of a changing dynamic
alot of you guys are being babys , YES BABYS AND WHINERS , gaming is a business , why not try to maximize profit -_-. so rockstar should go forego 10-15 million in sales just because you don't like how they went about it
gaming development is very expensive , massive studios are taking more time and spending more time on game development ,they have to play it safe to make a profit , mid tier studio are gone , although indie devs are filling that space now
theres demand for remakes and remasters,which happened in previous generations as PORTS AND COLLECTIONS
they provide a quick source of income and keep studios alive

ctalkeb said:

Were you an active game player during the third and fourth generation? They were full of derivative garbage. In fact, most generationshave been full of terrible games. One reason why this generation seems worse to you may be that for once the Japanese console launch happened later rather than earlier?

Anyway, as a 34-year-old who has been gaming since the NES, I don't see anything particularily bad about this gen compared to earlier ones - in fact, due to the re-emergence of small dev teams in the form of indies, I think this gen is looking to be better than the two previous ones.

im hesitant to answer that question, only because i dont think it actually matters whether you were or not. if you know about the games, their reception, and have played them, i honestly think thats all that matters. but to answer it, yeah i was an active gamer during those generations. i didnt really get to experience the third like you did, but come on.. we all know that the third generation saw the birth of the most classic franchises in history. and that is what this is all about. nothing in the 8th generation is pushing the bar. every generation has seen significant advancements except this one. 

Emperorbach said:
LOOOOOL wrong homie , the atari/et era where gaming nearly died is the worst era bro
this gen is one of a changing dynamic
alot of you guys are being babys , YES BABYS AND WHINERS , gaming is a business , why not try to maximize profit -_-. so rockstar should go forego 10-15 million in sales just because you don't like how they went about it
gaming development is very expensive , massive studios are taking more time and spending more time on game development ,they have to play it safe to make a profit , mid tier studio are gone , although indie devs are filling that space now
theres demand for remakes and remasters,which happened in previous generations as PORTS AND COLLECTIONS
they provide a quick source of income and keep studios alive

if ports and remasters is what is keeping the industry alive then it needs to crash. 

anybody can do whatever they want to make money, my point is that its a dispicable business practice that we shouldnt put up with. the fact that they do it and get away with it is a huge signal that something is very wrong with the current state that we are in. if it costs so much to make games that they need to resort to these anti consumer practices, then something needs to change. how can you not see that?

the_dengle said:

lol,  thats exactly what i was thinking. i bet it will happen

you really dont understand what the word fact means, do you?