By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: 8th generation is the worst generation in video game history

pokoko said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:

lol what did i revise? at what other point did this industry live off the backs of games that came out in years prior? at what other time were games being divided and sold in pieces to maximize profit? its pretty clear.. previous generations saw advancements in gameplay mechanics. we dont see things like that anymore.  here is no need to revise any history to see it. all you have to do is look at it.

Why didn't you mention the way Nintendo was crushing developers during the NES days?  When they'd make them pay to manufacture their games THEN they'd limit production to protect Nintendo titles?  Developers weren't making as much as they could because Nintendo would not print enough to meet demand.  Studios were going out of business for NO REASON and Nintendo did not care.  On top of that, any game had to be a Nintendo exclusive for 2 years.  Nintendo of that period was the most cut-throat and greedy company video-gaming has ever seen, far worse and the EA and Activision of today.  They did their best to create and maintain a monopoly and, had Sega and others not come along to disrupt that, it would have ruined gaming.

As for the "Nintendo Seal of Quality" you will probably reference, it had nothing to do with games being worth a damn.  It just meant people paid Nintendo and there was a base-level code check.

Like it or not, the NES and SNES era produced many of the worst games ever made.  If there was a TV show or product character that appealed to kids then they probably had a game.  The amount of garbage games being produced back then was staggering.  At least today people can find out about a game before they buy it.

And you're making the past out to be some kind of paradise where greed did not exist?  This might be the first and last time I ever use this acronym but, "lol".

id hate to repeat myself, but i guess ill do it for you since you took the time to find those pictures. of course shitty games get released every generation, but what im saying is that there are always advancements in every generation, but in this generation there are none at all. nothing is progressing at all anymore. in fact, we are going backwards, releasing things that have already been released. i swear, i have said this like four times.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:

The sales figures for the remasters tells you all you need to know, People want them.

All three systems have loads of remasters, people buy them on all three, just because the game isn't new to you doesn't mean the people that buy them have played them too, and for them they get a new experience that is in almost all situations, a better, more refined experience than the original, they get a better version of what you consider a "full, worthwhile game", do you honestly think they give two shits how people like you see it?

They still get a full game, a fresh experience, and even people who did buy the game originally are likely to buy it again, in those cases its because they enjoyed the original enough to warrant double dipping, and if thats the case than the developers have earned that second sale.

That whole "we deserve better" line is full of shit and is extremely entitled, remasters are made and sold, but so are perfectly unique and new games, buy what you want to play and enjoy it, thats what games are for, don't shit your nappy over other people buying remasters enough to warrant the continued production of them.

I'm guessing the 93 meta is your trigger.

what if 80% of the games that came out were remasters of last gen games, would you have a problem then? how much of it has to cut into original releases before you have a problem with it? 

What i know, i have more fun this gen for the first years than my ps3 where there was almost no game i liked the first 2 years... and the game i the most enjoyed (BB comming next week for me only :'(  ).... last of us remaster because i don't played on ps3 (so many game to play on this back in time) 

I have already more rpg on my ps4 than xbox360/ps3 first years... this depend your taste but 8th gen is far from the worst for me.

And i don't talk about all indie or small gems like resogun, transistor etc

the_dengle said:
2nd gen was when the industry nuked itself. Unless this gen ends with the death of the industry as we know it, it can't compete with that.

I'm not saying it won't happen...

lol,  thats exactly what i was thinking. i bet it will happen

I'll take that bet. Permaban to the one that ends up being wrong.

id hate to repeat myself, but i guess ill do it for you since you took the time to find those pictures. of course shitty games get released every generation, but what im saying is that there are always advancements in every generation, but in this generation there are none at all. nothing is progressing at all anymore. in fact, we are going backwards, releasing things that have already been released. i swear, i have said this like four times.

Remasters of previous generation games has been a thing since there were previous generation games to remaster, don't act like it's a new thing exclusive to the 8th gen.

Tachikoma said:

Remasters of previous generation games has been a thing since there were previous generation games to remaster, don't act like it's a new thing exclusive to the 8th gen.

Super Mario All Stars is the first one I can remember, yep they've been a thing for a long time. Final Fantasies were re-released on psone...

GBA got a ton of NES/SNES games.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:

what if 80% of the games that came out were remasters of last gen games, would you have a problem then? how much of it has to cut into original releases before you have a problem with it? 

The figure isn't even 10% and propositioning a non realistic situation does not help your argument or change that you are peddling opinion as fact, like usual.

propositioning an unrealistic situation like that demonstrates that there is a personal line that people have where they would be irritated if that many releases were remasters.  

I'll agree with one thing. These remasters are being used to make cash because of the excessive budgets AAA games are requiring. games like tomb raider didn't even make money until the remaster was released, if it has even made money after that.
While I'm not against re-releases I think it's unhealthy that they are becoming required to stay afloat

And it still means nothing at all.  It's just you looking for something to complain about.  New games are being made.  Remasters do not affect that.  All they do is to expand the library with quality content, which is never a bad thing.

It's like whining about War and Peace being reprinted.  Oh no, they're reprinting classic books instead of writing new ones!  That's horrible!  Greed!  Know what else?  I saw a rerun on television the other day.  That must eat you up inside.

That whole thing is laughable.

So the 1st and 2nd gen are being counted then

pokoko said:

New games are being made.  Remasters do not affect that.  All they do is to expand the library with quality content, which is never a bad thing.

It's like whining about War and Peace being reprinted.  Oh no, they're reprinting classic books instead of writing new ones!  That's horrible!  Greed!  Know what else?  I saw a rerun on television the other day.  That must eat you up inside.

That whole thing is laughable.

re-releasing movies on bluray is bad, they could be making new movies! LOL

Hate against remasters as if they take something away from us is ridiculous, implying they are a new notion and previous consoles especially the GBA weren't completely full of them either is ridiculous.