By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: 8th generation is the worst generation in video game history

I don't agree at all because this Gen just started, and no comparison can be done with other Gen which already finished. Every console has to finish its life cycle before talking. PS4 just got Bloodborne, 2015 will be fantastic, then VR will come, and many other great games; just to make an example.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Nate4Drake said:
I don't agree at all because this Gen just started, and no comparison can be done with other Gen which already finished. Every console has to finish its life cycle before talking. PS4 just got Bloodborne, 2015 will be fantastic, then VR will come, and many other great games; just to make an example.

well, maybe i can see reserving judgement until 2015 is oficially over, but i said that its a fact, so i cant really go back on that now. 

Well gee willickers I coulda sworn there was another few years to go in this gen but apparently it ended yesterday. By golly, time does fly.

RubberWhistleHistle said:

like i said in the OP, and like someone else earlier said.. its the mentality of developers that is the problem. dont make it sound like i am against people having options, because that is nothing more than a disingenuous spin of what im actually saying. im a freedom loving american, so of course i love options. 

i ask many questions in my post, and its because i really want to know what you people think. are remasters actually exciting to you? is that what you are buying the console for? is it a crime for me to complain that i actually want developers to put actual effort into their projects? yeah, i have the option not to buy it, but i like buying consoles and collecting shit, but if this generation is just going to offer b roken games, remasters, and 3/4 of a game, then its pointless to invest in that. we deserve better than what they are giving us, and it STILL fucks my head up how people are defending these tactics. its insane to me.

The sales figures for the remasters tells you all you need to know, People want them.

All three systems have loads of remasters, people buy them on all three, just because the game isn't new to you doesn't mean the people that buy them have played them too, and for them they get a new experience that is in almost all situations, a better, more refined experience than the original, they get a better version of what you consider a "full, worthwhile game", do you honestly think they give two shits how people like you see it?

They still get a full game, a fresh experience, and even people who did buy the game originally are likely to buy it again, in those cases its because they enjoyed the original enough to warrant double dipping, and if thats the case than the developers have earned that second sale.

That whole "we deserve better" line is full of shit and is extremely entitled, remasters are made and sold, but so are perfectly unique and new games, buy what you want to play and enjoy it, thats what games are for, don't shit your nappy over other people buying remasters enough to warrant the continued production of them.

I'm guessing the 93 meta is your trigger.

Yes a statement that is a subjective opinion is fact.

Opinions can't be facts, now that IS a fact. You might as well be saying "Fact: Coca Cola tastes better than Pepsi."

Your threads are always FANTASTIC.

"dont you feel that their efforts should be concentrated elsewhere? if that doesnt bother you, isnt it a problem that these people are just porting games from last gen as a cash grab? surely that is a problem."

If you really think that these remakes are delaying new AAA titles significantly you are gravely mistaken. The majority of such remakes are outsourced, GTA V for example was going to be released on PC anyway so why not release it on PS4 and XBO. Porting or Remastering titles takes minimal effort in comparison to making a full title and if you are happy with playing the previous gen version then you don't have to buy it.

These remakes are taking NOTHING away from gamers by being released, they're just giving people more options to either enjoy experiences they missed last-gen or for fans of the original titles to play through them again with improvements, and ultimately it's the consumers choice of whether it's worth the value for them. I'm happy game I love and games I missed are being upgraded.

Games don't have to be revolutionary and invent new mechanics to be incredible, enjoyable and memorable.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:

like i said in the OP, and like someone else earlier said.. its the mentality of developers that is the problem. dont make it sound like i am against people having options, because that is nothing more than a disingenuous spin of what im actually saying. im a freedom loving american, so of course i love options. 

i ask many questions in my post, and its because i really want to know what you people think. are remasters actually exciting to you? is that what you are buying the console for? is it a crime for me to complain that i actually want developers to put actual effort into their projects? yeah, i have the option not to buy it, but i like buying consoles and collecting shit, but if this generation is just going to offer b roken games, remasters, and 3/4 of a game, then its pointless to invest in that. we deserve better than what they are giving us, and it STILL fucks my head up how people are defending these tactics. its insane to me.

The sales figures for the remasters tells you all you need to know, People want them.

All three systems have loads of remasters, people buy them on all three, just because the game isn't new to you doesn't mean the people that buy them have played them too, and for them they get a new experience that is in almost all situations, a better, more refined experience than the original, they get a better version of what you consider a "full, worthwhile game", do you honestly think they give two shits how people like you see it?

They still get a full game, a fresh experience, and even people who did buy the game originally are likely to buy it again, in those cases its because they enjoyed the original enough to warrant double dipping, and if thats the case than the developers have earned that second sale.

That whole "we deserve better" line is full of shit and is extremely entitled, remasters are made and sold, but so are perfectly unique and new games, buy what you want to play and enjoy it, thats what games are for, don't shit your nappy over other people buying remasters enough to warrant the continued production of them.

I'm guessing the 93 meta is your trigger.

what if 80% of the games that came out were remasters of last gen games, would you have a problem then? how much of it has to cut into original releases before you have a problem with it? 

pokoko said:
Ah, revisionist history. I've never understood why people feel the need to only remember the good things about the past and not the bad. It's really, really odd. What is the point of self-delusion? Willful ignorance serves no purpose.

The only thing I can figure from reading the OP is that this is nothing but an attempt to make Nintendo look good by dragging down everything else. Ugh.

Regardless, I've been in gaming since the Atari 2600 and, in my opinion, the OP is nonsense. It's just someone saying "this is what I like and my opinion matters more than yours", which is exactly what makes it meaningless and laughable.

lol what did i revise? at what other point did this industry live off the backs of games that came out in years prior? at what other time were games being divided and sold in pieces to maximize profit? its pretty clear.. previous generations saw advancements in gameplay mechanics. we dont see things like that anymore.  here is no need to revise any history to see it. all you have to do is look at it.

Why didn't you mention the way Nintendo was crushing developers during the NES days?  When they'd make them pay to manufacture their games THEN they'd limit production to protect Nintendo titles?  Developers weren't making as much as they could because Nintendo would not print enough to meet demand.  Studios were going out of business for NO REASON and Nintendo did not care.  On top of that, any game had to be a Nintendo exclusive for 2 years.  Nintendo of that period was the most cut-throat and greedy company video-gaming has ever seen, far worse and the EA and Activision of today.  They did their best to create and maintain a monopoly and, had Sega and others not come along to disrupt that, it would have ruined gaming.

As for the "Nintendo Seal of Quality" you will probably reference, it had nothing to do with games being worth a damn.  It just meant people paid Nintendo and there was a base-level code check.

Like it or not, the NES and SNES era produced many of the worst games ever made.  If there was a TV show or product character that appealed to kids then they probably had a game.  The amount of garbage games being produced back then was staggering.  At least today people can find out about a game before they buy it.

And you're making the past out to be some kind of paradise where greed did not exist?  This might be the first and last time I ever use this acronym but, "lol".

Barkley said:

Yes a statement that is a subjective opinion is fact.

Opinions can't be facts, now that IS a fact. You might as well be saying "Fact: Coca Cola tastes better than Pepsi."

Your threads are always FANTASTIC.

thanks ^_^ this kind of feedback is why i enjoy sharing facts with you all so much lol. you guys are funny

thanks ^_^ this kind of feedback is why i enjoy sharing my opinions with you all so much lol. you guys are funny

Great now you've realized it's an opinion you can change the thread title. ;)

what if 80% of the games that came out were remasters of last gen games, would you have a problem then? how much of it has to cut into original releases before you have a problem with it? 

The figure isn't even 10% and propositioning a non realistic situation does not help your argument or change that you are peddling opinion as fact, like usual.