By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: 8th generation is the worst generation in video game history

Ah, revisionist history. I've never understood why people feel the need to only remember the good things about the past and not the bad. It's really, really odd. What is the point of self-delusion? Willful ignorance serves no purpose.

The only thing I can figure from reading the OP is that this is nothing but an attempt to make Nintendo look good by dragging down everything else. Ugh.

Regardless, I've been in gaming since the Atari 2600 and, in my opinion, the OP is nonsense. It's just someone saying "this is what I like and my opinion matters more than yours", which is exactly what makes it meaningless and laughable.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Ah, revisionist history. I've never understood why people feel the need to only remember the good things about the past and not the bad. It's really, really odd. What is the point of self-delusion? Willful ignorance serves no purpose.

The only thing I can figure from reading the OP is that this is nothing but an attempt to make Nintendo look good by dragging down everything else. Ugh.

Regardless, I've been in gaming since the Atari 2600 and, in my opinion, the OP is nonsense. It's just someone saying "this is what I like and my opinion matters more than yours", which is exactly what makes it meaningless and laughable.

lol what did i revise? at what other point did this industry live off the backs of games that came out in years prior? at what other time were games being divided and sold in pieces to maximize profit? its pretty clear.. previous generations saw advancements in gameplay mechanics. we dont see things like that anymore.  here is no need to revise any history to see it. all you have to do is look at it.

bananaking21 said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:

lol,  thats exactly what i was thinking. i bet it will happen

you really dont understand what the word fact means, do you?

fact means something is true. like as in how the 8th gen is the worst gen in history. lol

There is one flaw with your argument. The gen hasn't even ended yet. I agree with you that the start of this gen to me has been meh.

Fact: this fact is not fact.

Around the Network

I read the OP twice... and have read every comment once... I just gotta say.. I very much disagree with your opinion* on the 8th gen..

The video game industry has to evolve and adapt. It is going to evolve, some of those changes will be for the worse, some for the better. You won't agree with all of the changes, you might even think they are so bad they are destroying gaming this 8th gen (that only started a few years ago) is the worst ever... Because your subjective opinion* doesn't like where the industry is at. Gaming will thrive, more so than ever, and you're going to miss out on A LOT of amazing experiences if you are going to just give up on this gen. Some of the best games I've ever played were 7th gen, Mass Effect, The Last of Us, on and on.. and I see this gen bringing more of the same. I'm 27 years old and have been gaming since the early 90's when I was a kid,

I'm no expert, I just base games on how much fun and enjoyment I've gotten out of them... and these last few generations have brought some of my fondest memories in gaming, and I see no reason why the 8th gen can't continue that. I get that Nostalgic feeling and I miss the days of Kontra and Duck Hunt with the gun and blowing out the NES cartridges. But gaming has to adapt or die.. It has adapted to the times of today, and I agree they are VERY flawed... We do get a little shafted.. But it is what it is and enjoy it for what it is.

tl;dr you dont like the idea of people having the option to buy hd remasters and act like entirely new games dont exist.

Poor practices have been present every gen and always will be, no platform or gen is free of this, and lastly you state how the wiiu has the most solid titles? thats generally a given for a console thats been on the market a full year longer, than the others.

what this essentially boils down to is simply this.

The thread is opinion. YOUR opinion.

As as much as you would like it to be, no matter how strongly you hold that opinion, it does not make it fact.

RubberWhistleHistle said:

fact means something is true. like as in how the 8th gen is the worst gen in history. lol

Your statement isn't independantly verifiable, because it is based on an opinion, so other while other people may agree with you, many will not, that conflict of opinion makes the statement unverifiable and thus, not a fact.

Fact, op you don't know what fact actually means or what makes an fact a fact.

Tachikoma said:
tl;dr you dont like the idea of people having the option to buy hd remasters and act like entirely new games dont exist.

like i said in the OP, and like someone else earlier said.. its the mentality of developers that is the problem. dont make it sound like i am against people having options, because that is nothing more than a disingenuous spin of what im actually saying. im a freedom loving american, so of course i love options. 

i ask many questions in my post, and its because i really want to know what you people think. are remasters actually exciting to you? is that what you are buying the console for? is it a crime for me to complain that i actually want developers to put actual effort into their projects? yeah, i have the option not to buy it, but i like buying consoles and collecting shit, but if this generation is just going to offer b roken games, remasters, and 3/4 of a game, then its pointless to invest in that. we deserve better than what they are giving us, and it STILL fucks my head up how people are defending these tactics. its insane to me.

Chasesdaddy84 said:
I read the OP twice... and have read every comment once... I just gotta say.. I very much disagree with your opinion* on the 8th gen..

The video game industry has to evolve and adapt. It is going to evolve, some of those changes will be for the worse, some for the better. You won't agree with all of the changes, you might even think they are so bad they are destroying gaming this 8th gen (that only started a few years ago) is the worst ever... Because your subjective opinion* doesn't like where the industry is at. Gaming will thrive, more so than ever, and you're going to miss out on A LOT of amazing experiences if you are going to just give up on this gen. Some of the best games I've ever played were 7th gen, Mass Effect, The Last of Us, on and on.. and I see this gen bringing more of the same. I'm 27 years old and have been gaming since the early 90's when I was a kid,

I'm no expert, I just base games on how much fun and enjoyment I've gotten out of them... and these last few generations have brought some of my fondest memories in gaming, and I see no reason why the 8th gen can't continue that. I get that Nostalgic feeling and I miss the days of Kontra and Duck Hunt with the gun and blowing out the NES cartridges. But gaming has to adapt or die.. It has adapted to the times of today, and I agree they are VERY flawed... We do get a little shafted.. But it is what it is and enjoy it for what it is.

believe me, im keeping my eye out on stuff. and i do have an xbox one (and a wii u of course). but i dont mind missing out on all that nonsense that i pointed out before. why would i care to waste my money on a game that is going to drop 20 dollars in two months and probably will have another edition full of extra content that i didnt get originally. participating in that seems kind of backwards to me, so i wont do it. and really, if you pay attention, the best and highest rated games are not guilty of doing crap like that.