By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the XBO version of FFXV a mistake?

onionberry said:
More money is not a mistake, never.

If it sells poorly, they won't make money on it.

Around the Network

Hard to say, need to know some things and honestly some of them are estimations.

1. Cost to port to X1
2. Additional sales and profits to titles due to port

Essentially if 2 exceeds 1 by a certain factor it is not a mistake. If not, then it is.

The issue is defining these. The cost is likely not much as others have pointed out the similar architecture reduces costs quite a bit. The harder point to define is additional sales. Many people think the following. Game sold X on system A and Y on system B, therefore porting to system B added Y sales. The flaw in this thinking is that without the port the amount X on system A is guaranteed to be greater. The challenge is estimating what that X would have been and how it compares to X+Y.

The other talking point could be does porting expand a brand versus does it dilute it by not being as "special" to a particular base.

Honestly I am not sure, but if I can play games I want not bothered that people that own other systems can enjoy them as well.

Angelus said:
whatever said:

Type-0 on the XB1 is not in the top 100 for March while the PS4 version is at number 5.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2015-03/videogames

If it cracked the top 100 in the hourly charts, it was just barely.  Quite a pathetic showing.

Sounds like quite an intelligent showing from the Xbox gamers if you ask me. If it were anymore obvious like half of Type 0's price tag was for FFXV demo admission they might as well have gone on kickstarter and asked fans to pitch in for the rest of the full game's development. 

Type 0 at $60 is nothing short of robbery lol 

Your entitled to your opinion, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Angelus said:
whatever said:
shikamaru317 said:

No, it's not a mistake. Porting between PS4 and XB1 is cheap enough that they'll likely turn a profit from as few as 100k sales for the XB1 version, and I get the feeling lifetime sales will hit at least 1 million for the XB1 version. As for the performance, there is still another year or more of dev time ahead of FFXV, and new SDK's that improve performance will surely release during that time, I'm sure they'll be able to manage at least 720p at a stable 30 fps, and quite likely 900p at a stable 30 fps.

Also, you're wrong about Type-0 HD on XB1, it was in the top 100 for over a week and a half.

Type-0 on the XB1 is not in the top 100 for March while the PS4 version is at number 5.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2015-03/videogames

If it cracked the top 100 in the hourly charts, it was just barely.  Quite a pathetic showing.

Sounds like quite an intelligent showing from the Xbox gamers if you ask me. If it were anymore obvious like half of Type 0's price tag was for FFXV demo admission they might as well have gone on kickstarter and asked fans to pitch in for the rest of the full game's development. 

You really are amusing.

MohammadBadir said:
morenoingrato said:
Yeah a huge mistake...

... For Sony fans.

Not much else to say, really.

I imagine that FFXIII still stings to this day (although that one sucked).

To be fair, XIII-2 was alright.

Around the Network
TheGoldenBoy said:

You really are amusing.

Well thank you 

whatever said:
onionberry said:
More money is not a mistake, never.

If it sells poorly, they won't make money on it.

what's poorly? Both consoles have the same architecture, so if the ps4 version sells 5m, the xbox1 version 1m and the pc version 700,000 (hopefully because this game deserves to be played at max settings)  they're going to be fine.

gooch_destroyer said:
MohammadBadir said:

Not much else to say, really.

I imagine that FFXIII still stings to this day (although that one sucked).

To be fair, XIII-2 was alright.

Yeah, that one was decent enough. Not a good FF game, but a decent game on its own.

XIII-1/3 though...

im pretty sure that whatever costs of porting is minimal and being covered by MS anyway, so no SE is getting their money anyway. Sony doesnt care because they know the xbox version isnt gonna come close to PS4. Its only a mistake if the ONE version somehow bombs and even then it only really effects MS.

shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

I think you hit the nail on the thread there Angelus. I've seen people trying to suggest that Metal Gear Solid V shouldn't be multiplat because Ground Zeroes didn't sell well on XB1, and now other people are making the same argument about Type- 0 HD and FFXV. What those people fail to realize is that because neither FF or MGS has much of a history on Xbox, there is far less loyalty to those franchises among Xbox fans than there is among Playstation fans. Due to their franchise loyalty, PS fans can overlook the poor value of $40 for a demo (Ground Zeroes), and $60 for a port of a PSP game (Type-0), but it's not so easy for Xbox gamers to overlook that same poor value. I feel like FFXV and MGS V:TPP will sell much better on XB1 than Type-0 HD and Ground Zeroes did.

While Type-0 might be overpriced, which depends on the user really, I don't see how anyone could come to conclusion it sold poorly because of "value". If that's the case then why would a great game with value like Sunset Overdrive sell as low as it did? Some genres and games just won't sell relatively well on Xbox, regardless of value, because the game doesn't appeal to the overall fanbase.