By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the XB1 take back the US crown?

TheBlackNaruto said:
Paatar said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

But for what reasons do you think the XB1 will sell better in the US?

Because the 360 sold better in the US than PS3 and it is currently only about 600k under the PS4 in the US and Halo hasn't even hit yet.

Isn't the gap over 700k? And well heck the PS2 sold better than the XB1 in the US. And while Halo is a HUGE game do you really feel it is enough alone to take back the US? And Halo will be out during the Holiday period. So what about the rest of the year? What is the PS4 outsold the XB1 by say 50k every month until Nov(just thinking out loud here). That would have the gap back at over 1 million. So you are saying Halo alone will cause it to erase a million lead? I just can't see it with just Halo. If it is still being out sold and it is cheaper then Halo alone won't cut it IMO.

Well yes, the PS2 did outsell it due to it being the best selling console of all time.

Plus, I'm not a Halo fan but I can sure tell you that the new on will probably sell 8m lifetime. The rest of the year is pretty basic for both consoles in terms of exclusives. (as in they both have around the same amount that could sell systems) if Uncharted was coming out this year than I could see the PS4 winning the US, but since it isn't and Halo will be coming out, (which btw the majority of Halo sales come from the US, as the most recent sold 6.44m in the US ALONE.) So I believe that in the US only, will the Xbox One sell better.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Not unless MS wants to engage in a costly price war. The XBO is already incapable of beating the PS4 outside the holidays even at $50 below parity, so obviously at least $100 is necessary. Perhaps at $300 it can eliminate the monthly sales gap and widen it in Xbox's favor in the holidays.

However, Sony hasn't announced a price cut yet, and therein lies the rub. If the PS4 is reduced to $350, that would already put pressure on MS to reduce to XBO to at least $300 to keep things where they are or $250 to have a $100 price advantage. But if the PS4 is reduced to $300, MS would have to slash the price of the XBO by yet another $100 from its current price to keep the $50 advantage or by $150 to get to $100 below parity. Would MS be willing to eat the losses incurred by reducing the XBO to $250 or even $200 this year just to have a chance to win the U.S.? I somehow doubt that.

Like I said in another thread, they'd probably rather get decent sales and make at least some profit than get great sales but at a significant loss. At this point, the steps MS would need to take to win the U.S. would result in a Pyrrhic victory. Investors would not be happy.

Even though many disagree, I think M$ is the only one who can afford to be in a price war.  Sony has the sales afdvantage right now, and they get to keep the price high.  If they drop the price, they also lose the profitability.  Long term, Sony will keep the PS4's price as high as possible.  They are getting enough of the market that they don't need to lower the price just to "beat" Microsoft.  They need the profit to continue to fuel the companies turn around.

Does that mean that Microsoft wants to lose money?  No, but they will do whatever it takes to stay relevent this generation, even if it means only winning 2 months a year.  Most people only hear about the christmas sales anyway, so winning Jan-Oct. doesn't have the effect that the Holidays have in peoples minds.

It is near the end of the end....

I think Ms will try one more time take lead in USA.That's why they are puting everything in the September-December window.They will probably make another price cut(The holiday price will be like ~$300) cause there is a chance of sony doing a $100 price cut.If it doesn't work,then,they will probably do what nintendo is doing.....try to profit by software sales.

vivster said:
DanRybacki said:
How many more threads are required on this?

At least one each quarter. Do you need more? We could make this a monthly thing if you like

If the next Halo is a great game, I wouldn't want that....

Still the forums would be hillarious, chaos!

Shadow1980 said:
Landguy said:

Even though many disagree, I think M$ is the only one who can afford to be in a price war.  Sony has the sales afdvantage right now, and they get to keep the price high.  If they drop the price, they also lose the profitability.  Long term, Sony will keep the PS4's price as high as possible.  They are getting enough of the market that they don't need to lower the price just to "beat" Microsoft.  They need the profit to continue to fuel the companies turn around.

Does that mean that Microsoft wants to lose money?  No, but they will do whatever it takes to stay relevent this generation, even if it means only winning 2 months a year.  Most people only hear about the christmas sales anyway, so winning Jan-Oct. doesn't have the effect that the Holidays have in peoples minds.

Sony doesn't need to engage in a price war. They just need a single $100 price cut (yes, "need"; sales won't grow without a price cut), which is quite normal for a first price cut. Sales will bust through the roof. Meanwhile, the XBO needs to stay below parity just to keep from falling too far behind. And while MS the company can technically afford the losses, the Xbox brand can't. Xbox has been a huge money sink for the company, and even though the company itself is profitable a hugely unprofitable division can get the axe. Investors are already apparently not too keen on the company keeping making game hardware because of the losses incurred. If the XBO were reduced to $200 this year, we may not see another Xbox after this.

The sales of the PS4 are well ahead of the wildest of speculations.  Even now, it is selling above what anyone would have thought.  They don't need to drop the price to achieve an even higher sell through rate, as the one they have now is excellent.  Sony will drop the price of the PS4 this year, but $50 will be sufficaent to keep the sales pace.  They will most likely do add ins to add more value to the $350 price.  The XB1 will grow in sales this year, and it will drop in price to do so.  But, it more than likely still won't achieve sales parity with the PS4 Jan-Oct.  Sony dropping the price to get more sales is just bad business.  They will drop the price to keep sales where it is though...

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

Nope. PS4 will remain supreme.

KazumaKiryu said:

I think Microsoft is no longer interested so for consoles. They said that that want to focus more on PC and other windows stuff in the next few years.Many players know this.

To be fair they have been saying this for over 10 years, and a lot of their Windows gaming stuff on PC was absolute shite.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

The Xbox brand still seems to be stronger than the PS brand in the US, i mean the PS4 had better word of mouth in the beginning and the suprior hardware AND it was cheaper and yet it is only outselling the xbox one by a small margin (~600k as of right now). Makes me wonder how the situation would be if the Xone would have been 400$ at launch.

TheGamer95 said:
The Xbox brand still seems to be stronger than the PS brand in the US, i mean the PS4 had better word of mouth in the beginning and the suprior hardware AND it was cheaper and yet it is only outselling the xbox one by a small margin (~600k as of right now). Makes me wonder how the situation would be if the Xone would have been 400$ at launch.

Not that different. They removed the Kinect in June and saw practically the same sales. 3 months later they dropped the price another 50 and finally got a boost out of parents buying for their kids.

Holidays end, still cheaper and ps4 has better sales again.

TheGamer95 said:

How can you draw that conclusion? 'The XB1 is a stronger brand in the US because the PS4 is only outselling it by a small margin'. That makes absolutely no sense.

The PS5 Exists.