By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is still against annual franchises

spemanig said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I don't think you should really count remakes and spinoffs as annual franchises. It doesn't get new main series entries every year which is the important part.

I definitely think that remakes and spin offs count. They're almost as important as a new Zelda game if you ask me. Not counting remakes and spin offs is disreguarding a lot of relevant games if you ask me.

Well spin offs like Hyrule Warriors aren't really doing the same thing, and remakes are (obviously) not new games, so it seems silly to count both of them. With that said, it is also silly to say that Advance Warfare is similar to Big Red One, or Metal Gear Solid IV is similar to Metal Gear. Overall, the image makes a good point (imo), but does so in an extremely reductive way which weakens its overall impact

Around the Network
spemanig said:
sc94597 said:

Oh I see. You consider, "Hyrule Warriors" a Zelda game, even though it doesn't have Legend of Zelda in the titile and doesn't play like a Zelda game. 

There's no "considering." It's a Zelda game. There's no opinion there. Aonuma, the producer, considers it a Zelda game. It's a Zelda game. That's like saying "Pokken Tournament" isn't a Pokemon game because it doesn't have Pokemon in the title and doesn't play like a Pokemon game. Or that Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker isn't a Mario Game because it doesn't have Mario in the title and doesn't play like a Mario game. Give me a break.

Sure, it is a Zelda game, if we ignore its gameplay, if we ignore its title, if we ignore its developer, etc, etc. Can you provide a source where Aonuma said he considers it as a Zelda game? As for Pokken Tournament, I also agree with your statement, it isn't a Pokemon game. It is a Pokken game, something else. 

sc94597 said:

Metal Gear was a video game series before Metal Gear Solid. I don't consider San Andreas and Vice City as spinoffs. They play the same as the main series. Although, if we really get into it, there is a difference between a spin off and counting the same game twice because it has minor differences between versions. Of course they should've added Pokemon spinoffs too, which they didn't. I guess because the spin off games are vastly different. 

For example, with metal gear you have: 

1. Metal Gear

2. Metal Gear 2

3. Metal Gear Solid

4. Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel 

5. Metal Gear Solid 2

6. Metal Gear Solid 3

7. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

8. Metal Gear Solid 4

9. Metal Gear Solid Online

10. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

11. Metal Gear Rising

12. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

13. Metal Gear Acid

And if they include Twin Snakes as a separate game

14. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes 

Counting Online separately is hilarious. Rising is a different series and if it's counted with MGS then all Mario games should be counted together. Same goes for Acid, completely different genre.

Talal said:
sc94597 said:

Metal Gear was a video game series before Metal Gear Solid. I don't consider San Andreas and Vice City as spinoffs. They play the same as the main series. Although, if we really get into it, there is a difference between a spin off and counting the same game twice because it has minor differences between versions. Of course they should've added Pokemon spinoffs too, which they didn't. I guess because the spin off games are vastly different. 

For example, with metal gear you have: 

1. Metal Gear

2. Metal Gear 2

3. Metal Gear Solid

4. Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel 

5. Metal Gear Solid 2

6. Metal Gear Solid 3

7. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

8. Metal Gear Solid 4

9. Metal Gear Solid Online

10. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

11. Metal Gear Rising

12. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

13. Metal Gear Acid

And if they include Twin Snakes as a separate game

14. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes 

Counting Online seperetely is hilarious. Rising is a different series and if it's counted with MGS then all Mario games should be counted together. Same goes for Acid, completely different genre.

All Mario platformers were counted together. New Super Mario Bros and  SuperMario Galaxy are two different series in the same franchise. 

Well Kirby is pretty much annual so I guess HAL Laboratory doesn't care about what Regis thinks XD

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

GTA is actually since 1997.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

sc94597 said:

All Mario platformers were counted together. New Super Mario Bros and Mario Galaxy are two different series in the same franchise. 

Rising and Acid are different genre's.  Mario platformers are all platformers. The list was made by a biased person.

This is good news then.

The_Sony_Girl1 said:

GTA is actually since 1997.

I think they included Vice City stories and Liberty City stories as separate games, which they shouldn't. That makes it 11 games between 2001-2013. But if we omit those and include Grand Theft Auto and GTA: London, then it works out similarly. 

sc94597 said:

Sure, it is a Zelda game, if we ignore its gameplay, if we ignore its title, if we ignore its developer, etc, etc. Can you provide a source where Aonuma said he considers it as a Zelda game? As for Pokken Tournament, I also agree with your statement, it isn't a Pokemon game. It is a Pokken game, something else. 

There is no source, just like there is no source where Aonuma said he considers OoT as a Zelda game. There's just literally every interview on Hyrule Warriors where he talks about it like it's a Zelda game. Where he talks about it the same way he talks about literally ever Zelda game.

You clearly misunderstood my statement on Pokken. It is a Pokemon game.