By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kirby is "Not" A Flop... Update: Rainbow Curse Showing "Balls" :)

tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:

Wikipedia says 145 employees so 70% would be 101-102.

He's Guesstimating, and we dont know how many employees worked on the game + how long it took for development

Hope you're not reffering to me there.

And I have worked in Japanese game studios for the past 15 years, I've a solid grasp on project management and average salarys thanks.
As for development time, it's roughly 27 months from the point they started to now, give or take 2-3 months, unless of course you think what they showed at last years e3 was from a week old build.

Wouldn't be more than 3 years because it would overlap their other projects, wouldnt be less than 2 because the studio was referencing the build ID in communications with Nintendo on the SDK as early as May 2013.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:

Wikipedia says 145 employees so 70% would be 101-102.

He's Guesstimating, and we dont know how many employees worked on the game + how long it took for development

I counted the credits.

Tachikoma said:
tbone51 said:

And I have worked in Japanese game studios for the past 15 years, I've a solid grasp on project management and average salarys thanks.
As for development time, it's roughly 27 months from the point they started to now, give or take 2-3 months, unless of course you think what they showed at last years e3 was from a week old build.

No but you think thinking that many people worked on the game or even the game took 2years+ to work on?

tbone51 said:
Tachikoma said:

No but you think thinking that many people worked on the game or even the game took 2years+ to work on?

Samus counted the credits, so there you go.

And yes, 2 years sounds about right, and my calculations for studio salary stands, even at 300k lifetime the game won't break even.

Tachikoma said:
tbone51 said:

And yes, 2 years sounds about right, and my calculations for studio salary stands, even at 300k lifetime the game won't break even.

Even if everything you say is true (since of course this is your field of expertise), too bad for you it'll shatter the 300k lifetime figure. Being over halfway there so far, with of course holiday +Europe/Australia/etc it'll definitely/easily make profit. 

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Tachikoma said:

Even if everything you say is true (since of course this is your field of expertise), too bad for you it'll shatter the 300k lifetime figure. Being over halfway there so far, with of course holiday +Europe/Australia/etc it'll definitely/easily make profit. 

300k won't even break even on absolute base salary for the studio, thats on a financial figure that does not include higher salary positions, QA, testing, third party contractual work, operating costs (or do you think those 80+ employees didnt use computers every day, using electricity and general stationary supplies?). I would put the break even point around 540k units, which the title is unlikely to get because after the initial jump in sales in may, closer to the holidays wiiu users will be more focused on titles like zelda and xcx.

If the game doesn't even achieve 500k (and I would make an estimate that It will not, feel free to quote me on this), then the studio will not have broke even at all.

What you completely ignore is that for the most part, the japanese and US sales were more or less in line with the launch of the n3ds, when people buy new systems they generally pick up a few of the latest games along with them, for the other systems they own, especially if they are systems from the main manufacturer, that is not the case for the EU and AU, the n3ds rush has come and gone already.
People going in to buy a n3ds won't see kirby RC and think "ill pick that up for my wiiu while im here".

But hey, it's nice that you remain hopeful at least.

However you look at it though, the games current status is: Flop.

Samus Aran said:
onionberry said:

yes, like a 2d metroid game for wii u and 3ds while we wait for the big game.

Tired of 2D games. Give me a 3D platformer that isn't Mario. :p

Sounds like you ahould get a PS3

Tachikoma said:
tbone51 said:

300k won't even break even on absolute base salary for the studio, thats on a financial figure that does not include higher salary positions, QA, testing, third party contractual work, operating costs (or do you think those 80+ employees didnt use computers every day, using electricity and general stationary supplies?). I would put the break even point around 540k units, which the title is unlikely to get because after the initial jump in sales in may, closer to the holidays wiiu users will be more focused on titles like zelda and xcx.

If the game doesn't even achieve 500k (and I would make an estimate that It will not, feel free to quote me on this), then the studio will not have broke even at all.

But hey, it's nice that you remain hopeful at least.

However you look at it though, the games current status is: Flop.

So a Fire Emblem WiiU game would need 600k-700k to be profitable (stated by Nintendo) while this needs 540k? Ok something is definitely off. 

Anywayz, you still dont understand your position, calling it a flop is premature. You do realize that there is something called legs right? I bet you also thought Triple Deluxe Flopped when it sold 41k in its first month in the US, am i right?

Tomodachi Life also flopped hard in Europe, that 25k-35k sold first week.... Oh wat a flop it was lol

tbone51 said:

So a Fire Emblem WiiU game would need 600k-700k to be profitable (stated by Nintendo) while this needs 540k? Ok something is definitely off. 

Anywayz, you still dont understand your position, calling it a flop is premature. You do realize that there is something called legs right? I bet you also thought Triple Deluxe Flopped when it sold 41k in its first month in the US, am i right?

Tomodachi Life also flopped hard in Europe, that 25k-35k sold first week.... Oh wat a flop it was lol

Having the image of a game for your favorite platform bruised isn't justification for making baseless assumptions, I am simply making estimates based on my knowledge.
The only game I have talked about is Kirby RC, which is made by a single team, Fire Emblem for WiiUm the only new one is Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, which is by two teams working together, one that specializes in RPG and the other the creators of the series and a subsidiary of Nintendo themselves, and thus splitting development cost which in turn brings down the financial return to break even, perhaps take your own advice and do some research?

Like I said, I deal with realities not hopes and dreams.

Tachikoma said:
tbone51 said:

Having the image of a game for your favorite platform bruised isn't justification for making baseless assumptions, I am simply making estimates based on my knowledge.
The only game I have talked about is Kirby RC.

Like I said, I deal with realities not hopes and dreams.

Its nowhere close to that. Im coming off arguing how the game isnt a flop. 

Im making estimates as well, you act like a game just stops selling after 9 days. As you implied from earlier comments (US) 

You said you deal with realities and not hopes and dreams, yet reality hasnt even begun to show itself. Its funny how you mark a game without letting it even sell for a year. A game in which could potentially leg out.

Im not asking for 1mil sales here (hopes and dreams right), im basing on estimates as well which obviously your lacking here (in predicting Sales).

Of course i personally dragged this out way to long and for that i do apologize. Anywayz i'll let it go (our argument) for now again my bad for coming off rough :-/