By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many 10mill+ sellers will each console get in 2009?

You have to count Wii Sports, as someone already said it will hit 10 million in Japan alone easily by the end of 2009. If it wasn't bundled in Europe and America it would probably have sold about half what it did there, but it would still be pretty insane sales.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

I can't see Wii Sports hitting 10 million in Japan. Not with the way game attachment rates work. Basically by my estimates the system would have to sell at least 35 million units in Japan to move 10 million copies of Wii Sports. That's a ridiculous number of units to sell in Japan considering the number of households in that country and the fact that the Wii isn't the only console being sold there.

i don't think it matters if it sells it all one 1 platform or multiple platforms. so cod 4 and gta should count as 10+ million sellers also

remember, gta sand andreas came out on the box and pc, but the ps2 version was about 11 million ahead of those 2. But the 360 base is much larger than ps3's at the moment. but also, a lot of people associate gta with the playstation brand.

atm, anything is possible, but i think that they may reach 10 million in 2009 for both platforms.

360- large core fanbase, lack of halo 3 type titles

ps3- good sized fanbase, core gamers ready for the title, playstation brand gta relation

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

The Wii will easily get Wii Sports, Wii play, Wii Fit, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm surprised that only a few people think SMG isn't going to make over 10 million by the time of 31/12/09 is up.

So far it has 5,943,629 in total.

the last 5 weeks SMG has sold 494,800 worldwide, so it's not slowing down anytime soon.

Around the Network

you're wrong knight-ward, galaxy broke 6.04 million! the numbers were updated! it's getting closer to 10 million every month. And, it hasn't been out 6 months yet!

(still unsure if it will pass super mario 64's 13 million.)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

Halo has never approached 10 million. CoD4 is better and stiffling sales of Halo 3.

Well if you compare the the two games on the million sellers page of vgchartz...

Super Mario Galaxy is at

0.92 JP
3.23 US
1.80 EU

While...

Super Mario 64 is at

1.92 JP
6.87 US
3.10 EU

With only being out for a bit over 5 months (besides US and EU) there already a small gap difference between the two games in Japan (1 million) and Europe (1.3 million). The US has a huge gap, but Galaxy seems to have most of it selling luck on there anyway. I'm sure that Super Mario Galaxy will easily out do Super Mario 64... seeming the Wii is going to have much large userbase then the N64 would of had :P.

Legend11 said: Basically by my estimates the system would have to sell at least 35 million units in Japan to move 10 million copies of Wii Sports.

what kind of estimates are u coming up with?

currently wii sports sells at a 53% attach rate, so it will take less than 20 million wiis to hit 10 million wii sports sold

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

only SSBB !!
may be mario kart