By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

If the wonderfull 101 can have a far lower WW launch week and still end up sellink 500k, so can kirby. except that in kirby's case, it will be profitable.

Around the Network
Areym said:
tbone51 said:
Areym said:

Fair Enough, although those are fairly unimpressive sales for a franchise as long as kirby (they all can't be million dollars sellers like mario but still)

At the very least, I think we can agree that the popularity of Kirby has declined and will continue to do so unless something major happens. Not much love for the pink blob outside of Smash.

Thanks^ Also What makes you thinkthose are unimpressive sales? You want to know why they are not unimpressive? Because they keep making them. Outside of Mario Spin offs + Pokemon, its one of the only Nintendo franchises that actually has 4-5+ entrys per generation. 

Basically inputting that nintendo are happy with the sales otherwise they wouldn't keep putting Kirby in the spotlight. A good example of this is DK. DK Returns was a huge success and of course a sequel came out very soon after (on wiiu) even before metroid.

As for popularity, he certainly hasnt declined, not going by Triple Deluxe a game that i think is at 1.7mil+ by Dec 2014 and will likely be above 2.2mil-2.3mil lifetime. BTW that is actually one of the highest selling Kirby's as it usually is a 1.2mil-1.5mil seller (at least traditional and big spin offs)

I think part of the reason why it hasn't so well so far is the fact that it looks super childish. I love the aesthetic, clay Kirby is super cute and the whole game is visually stunning, but I doubt that a 10 year old boy nowadays would want to be caught dead playing it. Let alone a 15 year old boy(I'm using males here because its still the primary gaming audience). I grew up with Kirby and still caught shit for liking the little pink puff ball. I always loved all the different powers and different ways you could tackle each enemy and level. I thought it was pretty neat, and to be honest, I thought Kirby was a bit of a badass. What other Nintendo character could cut you, stab you, light you on fire, encase you in ice, stick you in a whirlwind, electrocute you, then just blow your ass up all while dodging apples?
I also think that a huge part of it was the gameplay choice. If there's one thing people generally don't like, its the loss of control of their character. Sure you guide Kirby with lines, but you don't actually move him. Not to mention that Kirby is know for the different powers, simple platforming, interesting level design, and fun gameplay. Some of that exists in Rainbow Curse, but the focus on a variety of powers is absent, the level design is decent, and the gameplay isn't very fun when you have an HD Kirby game you have to play on the gamepad exclusively.
I honestly think that Kirby is kind of a perfect storm of what gamer's just don't want anymore. It makes me sad to admit it, but its true. I think it might have sold better if it were a more traditional Kirby game. Even then, the little pink power puff needs a bit of an overhaul. Maybe a 3D environment instead of the traditional 2D. Something similar to Starfox Adventures(Yes, that game is awesome even tho it isn't traditional space combat).

“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”  - Neil Gaiman

I look forward to getting this someday... when I have money... It might be one of the last Wii U games I do get because of the weak Canadian dollar.

1doesnotsimply

Goodnightmoon said:
RealGamingExpert said:
Not surprised at all. Game looks like a ~15€ eshop game, so I don't see why they would sell it for 40$.
Reviews were really mediocre as well.
I doubt it cost them much to produce it though, so it didn't really 'flop'.

15€? Really? Have you seen that graphics? have you heard that music? That´s not from an 15€ game.

Mediocre reviews? the 80% of the reviews are equal or above +80 on metacritic, and overall it has a very decent 76, for a budget game that´s pretty fine, just 4 points beyond Captain Toad. And it´s above the reviews of almost every triple AAA game this days (The order: 65 - Dying Light:73 - RE: Revelations 2: 74 - Kirby: 76)

Journey has better graphics, better art style, better music, and I bet it is a better game as well. I paid 15$ for it. So yeah....

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Goodnightmoon said:

15€? Really? Have you seen that graphics? have you heard that music? That´s not from an 15€ game.

Mediocre reviews? the 80% of the reviews are equal or above +80 on metacritic, and overall it has a very decent 76, for a budget game that´s pretty fine, just 4 points beyond Captain Toad. And it´s above the reviews of almost every triple AAA game this days (The order: 65 - Dying Light:73 - RE: Revelations 2: 74 - Kirby: 76)

Journey has better graphics, better art style, better music, and I bet it is a better game as well. I paid 15$ for it. So yeah....

Then every  game with worse art style, worse music and worse as a game than Journey is overpriced if it´s above 15$.... i guess the 75% of  games  are overpriced nowadays then. 

Kirby RC is better than the vast majority of games released this days at 60$

So no, I don´t see it overpriced.

Samus Aran said:

Many newer franchises that sell much more will be long dead while Kirby will still be selling his games.

I think that is a major issue for Nintendo.  They stick with the same old games for far too long. Meanwhile other publishers move on and create fresh new IP'S. 

Kerotan said:
Samus Aran said:

Many newer franchises that sell much more will be long dead while Kirby will still be selling his games.

I think that is a major issue for Nintendo.  They stick with the same old games for far too long. Meanwhile other publishers move on and create fresh new IP'S. 

Like Splatoon? Or Like Animal Crossing? Or like Xenoblade? Or like Rythym Paradise? Or like Codename Steam?

Goodnightmoon said:
Kerotan said:

Like Splatoon? Or Like Animal Crossing? Or like Xenoblade? Or like Rythym Paradise? Or like Codename Steam?

Don't forget Tomodachi Life, Steel Diver and Wonderful 101. Hahaha

You gotta love ignorance

Goodnightmoon said:
Kerotan said:

A few shallows don't make a summer.  

My point is many publishers could keep many series going if they only wanted to match these numbers.  They move onto bigger and better things.