By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 vs. Xbox One: My Thoughts on Each Console and Their Games

Which do you prefer?

PS4 194 72.12%

Xbox One 75 27.88%

Total:269

I've always owned all 3 consoles, but this gen I haven't got really excited for any XBox exclusives yet. TBH the ps4 exclusives aren't that stellar either (except DC that turned out really well in the end) and the WiiU is mostly used by the kids to watch Netflix.
It's hard to justify buying a 3rd console just to complete the set :/ Here's hoping QB brings the innovation, and Forza 6 a complete experience. In the mean time PC (or rather my laptop) is getting most of my time, while my kids are all in to free to play games on iPad. Most we play on PS4 is 4 player splitscreen Terraria and Minecraft.

Around the Network

I got a 360 just for gears but I feel at this point the game is sort of tired. Same with halo. It's been done so much already there is nothing else to do with it to make it fun.

Locknuts said:

Current Exclusives

PS4

Of the exclusives available on the PS4 I have played the following:

- Infamous: Second Son/Dying Light

Are you sure you played Infamous: Dying Light? Lol.

I own all three and I agree with this assessment to a point. I prefer the PS4 as a gaming machine, but probably had more fun on the Xbox One overall due to its exclusives. However, I buy more multiplatform games than anything else and the PS4 has a clear advantage here, for many reasons. Not just the slightly better performance, but I actually prefer the DS4 to the X1 pad.

The Forgotten Console
The Wii U is the least played on for me as I bought it more for the kids. MK8 was boring. I don't know what the fuss is all about with Smash Bros. I never liked the first Bayonetta, so was I f*ck getting the second one. Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, however, were fantastic and we always get Nintendo Land out when we have visitors.

GTAexpert said:
Locknuts said:

Current Exclusives

PS4

And Killzone: Shadow of Mordor. ;)

Around the Network
Locknuts said:

Aesthetics

Winner: PS4 

Main Reason: Xbox sucks to look at. PS4 is almost perfect to look at.

Controller

Winner: Xbox One

Main reason: Sticks and triggers are vital for almost all game types these days, and the Xbox One simply dominates in this area.

UI

Main reason: It's not that great, but it's still better than the Xbox One UI.

Online Experience

Main reason: I had a better experience with PSN and it's actually cheaper in most cases.

Current Exclusives

PS4

- TLOU: Remastered

- Knack

- Driveclub

Of these the only one worth my time was TLOU: Remastered and that's only worth a go if you haven't played it before on PS3. Brilliant game, very little replay value in the campaign.

Xbox One

Of the Xbox One exclusives I have played the following:

- Titanfall* 

- Dead Rising 3

- Forza 5

- Forza Horizon 2

- Halo: MCC 

- Killer Instinct

* = also on PC

Of these games I really enjoyed Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2, Killer Instinct and Halo: MCC (when it finally stopped deleting my save files and started connecting online.....grrrr). FH2 and MCC are really great games.

Main reason: FH2 and MCC

Upcoming Exclusives

Bias note: Clearly this is a very subjective topic in a very subjective thread. So take this one with a handful of salt and add it to the grain you ate before reading this in the first place.

PS4

Of the upcoming PS4 exclusives I am interested in the following:

- Street Fighter V*

- Bloodborne

- Uncharted 4

- WiLD

Xbox One

Of the upcoming Xbox One exclusives I am interested in the following:

- Scalebound

- Halo 5

- Gears of War

- Quantum Break

Main Reason: Gears + Halo. Honestly if SFV wasn't coming to PC I might consider swapping back and would probably hand this article to the PS4. Thankfully that's not the case and so the overall winner is....

Overall Winner: Xbox One

Reasons: The games. PS4 is the better machine, of that there is no doubt. It's smaller, sexier, slightly more powerful and isn't bundled with useless accessories. However I buy these machines to do one thing: play games, and the Xbox One has more than a slight edge over the PS4 in that respect. If you prefer the PS4 library: go for it. There is absolutely nothing that the Xbox One can offer you that could make it more appealing than the PS4 if not for the games.

So there you have it, my take on which console is better after around 5 months of owning each machine. Thoughts?

Aestetics: Draw

Controller: Draw or PS4 (honestly, if it was not of the battery it would be perfect, the D-Pad on the xbox controller is too weak to even be considered an amazing controller, both have great hergonomics, declaring a complete winner is pushing it).

UI: After spending time with both, I just find the XB1 UI confusing, it hides stuff that should be handy, the PS4 could be better, however, it's clearly a better start as it does not get in the way of what you want to do (I.E. Play games, or start some apps) it's quick and does not need a tutorial, plus the ability to run new games a minute or two after inserting the disc in the tray is a big plus. I don't think feature bloat is a plus for the XB1.

Online: I can't tell, I really have not used that feature on the XB1, it has a better reputation, but it would be nice to have an actual metric used to measure it other than impressions from random people who often do not even have both systems (or do not try them both at the same time)... what I know is that people play MP only games all the time on the PS4 and the few times I tried it I had no issues finding matches or connecting to friends, joining parties, etc.

Exclusives:

You need to update your list, especially for the PS4, it has 245 and the XB1 has 163, meaning the PS4 has at least 82 games that are not available on the XB1.

Obviously, if you are a big Halo/Forza and Gears fan, there is no reason to even make such a list, even if they only showed a title screen these would be at the top of your hype list.

Upcoming Exclusives:

As for the upcomgin games, 2015 looks to be a legendary year for the PS4, a complete list, even limited to AAA games is hard to build...

On the other hand you have a few games that have nearly nothing to show:

scalebound: only a pre-rendered concept preview was shown, I doubt it will come out this year, other than it having dragons nothing is clear about this game...

Halo 5: very likely 2015, however a lot of the hardcore Halo fans are worried after the last two 343i projects turned out (MCC/Halo4)

Gears: other than hints and annoying tease from xbox management, there is nothing known, the game is made by a new studio, so it could turn out to be anything, if it ever comes out.

Quantum Break: I have heard that the gameplay demoes ran on PCs, and they did not run that great, also, the game comes with a TV show on the disc... do you have to watch a 23 or 42 minutes cut scene before you can play? again, delayed to 2016, so everything may change.

Basically, your hype for the XB1 excluaives is mostly built up on games that may come out late 2016 (given how far this is, some of them may be pushed to 2017)... Obviously, I can't tell you what to like, I'm hyped as hell for whatever ND makes after Uncharted 4 (well, uncharted 4 too) be it a new The Last of Us or a PS4 fart app.... This is also why I think that kind of discussion cannot lead very far, the people who love their Nintendo games got the Wii U despite its flaws, the people who loves their MS franchises got their XB1 despite its flaws (some got it because it was pretty affordable during the holiday in the US) and those who wanted a great console to play their multi-platform games got the PS4 + Sony got their fans in as well this time around, hence the bigger install base on the PS4.

I have both and I enjoy both. I use my PS4 more because I play most multiplatform games on it, like its exclusive and bought it before an XB1 but I also like XB1 for its exclusives. Both are almost equal in my eyes, so its hard to choose one over the other.

But in-depth, I like XB1's UI more, I only have online on PS4 so I can't judge XB1 fairly, controller it goes to PS4 and exclusives, well it depends. I didn't play any Halo game except CE before getting MCC, so what I got was essentially a new experience with some of the greatest games ever. So if you consider that exclusive to XB1, then XB1 wins.

But to be fair, I'd compare Forza Horizon 2 and Ryse with PS4 exclusives. I'd put Ryse a bit worse than KZ: SF, both of which I only played an hour or so, and enjoyed neither. As for Forza Horizon 2 I'd put it slightly above Driveclub, and slightly below Infamous: Second Son in terms of my enjoyment. And I also enjoyed The Order: 1886. Infamous: Second Son remains the best current-gen exclusive game for me. So in this case PS4 wins.

curl-6 said:
GTAexpert said:
Locknuts said:

Current Exclusives

PS4

He actually said that? Hahaha.

GTAexpert said:
curl-6 said:
GTAexpert said:

He actually said that? Hahaha.

No, that was me, I couldn't resist the play on words. ;)

Locknuts said:
MikePlanor said:

Hard to take this thread serious, why iss future exclusives for ps4 missing most of its list? The ps4 future list looks way more varied then x1. X1 lacks Japanese support, a much weaker digital library, worse multiplats. Where is persona, until dawn, ratchet and clank, no mans sky, tomorrow children, deep down, disgaea, etc...

Controller, it does not dominate... the ds4 is the better overall controller, better dpad, sticks are excellent, better bumpers, x1 was a step down from 360.

So you disagree?

Obviously, considering your ps4 list of games looks purposefull missing a tonne of games...you are massively short changing ps4 there, hardly a fair comparison. The real list looks to favor ps4 by quite a margin