By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF XV is a hack and slash game confirmed

There's no turning back for Final Fantsay. Mainstream gaming has moved past turn based combat, everything is more action orientated. It draws in a wider audience.

If FF15 goes on to be successful and well liked then i think they will most likely keep the battle system for FF16. Having a pure, old school turn based rpg combat system is risky. I think it turns a lot of people away from a game.

At the end of the day though if the combat is engaging, dynamic and done well people will like it. The FF13 series is a good example of what not to do.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
Better than unrealistic turn based games.

realistic...Final FANTASY

I don't see the need for these two to be related.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I strongly dislike the Kingdom Hearts battle system and I strongly dislike the FFXV battle system. I consider not to buy the game because I do not want a stupid mindless action game. I want a real Final Fantasy game instead.

So basically you are saying that Dragon's Age, The Witcher, Dragon's Dogma, Kingdom Hearts are all confirmed to be Hack and Slash games as well. Oh and that logic let's also not call Mass Effect an RPG and group it with games like Gears of War.

Action RPG, that's the term my dear.

I really like the argument of old vs new when it comes to gaming; specifically FF. I for one am all for SqEnix trying new things and exploring different possibilities within their franchise. Innovations in gaming is what keeps me coming back to my consoles; and I wouldn't be so interested if game devs didn't take risks. On a related note, I believe developers such as Square Enix should keep moving forward and leave the classics alone for reasons such as the games remaining distinct and loved within my memories (For example: I am against a sequel to TLOU). I realize that there will always be people who do not share my opinion; which is perfectly ok and in fact preferred! If everybody liked the same things, then game devs would build the same game every time. In that regard, I understand and respect OPs opinion, as well as everyone else who posted. To them I say: if you do not like it, you are by no means obligated to buy it. I would rather you keep your own beliefs for ideal video games so diversity in the video game industry can exist as well.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network
etking said:

I strongly dislike the Kingdom Hearts battle system and I strongly dislike the FFXV battle system. I consider not to buy the game because I do not want a stupid mindless action game. I want a real Final Fantasy game instead.

What is a "real final fantasy"?

shikamaru317 said:

I was under the impression that FF16 was already in early development, under the direction of Hiroyuki Ito (director of 9 and 12)? Or was that just a rumor I heard? If 16 is already in development wouldn't it be a little late to base the combat system design on 15's success or failure?

Nah, they have another 10 years of dev time ahead of them to make adjustments.

I don't think FF16 will have a similar battle system if FFXV proves to be a great success. They deviate with every new Final Fantasy so no, FF16 will most likely not have a similar battle system. If that was the case then FF13 should have had a similar system as FF12 which it did not have.

shikamaru317 said:
Shinobi-san said:
There's no turning back for Final Fantsay. Mainstream gaming has moved past turn based combat, everything is more action orientated. It draws in a wider audience.

If FF15 goes on to be successful and well liked then i think they will most likely keep the battle system for FF16. Having a pure, old school turn based rpg combat system is risky. I think it turns a lot of people away from a game.

At the end of the day though if the combat is engaging, dynamic and done well people will like it. The FF13 series is a good example of what not to do.

I was under the impression that FF16 was already in early development, under the direction of Hiroyuki Ito (director of 9 and 12)? Or was that just a rumor I heard? If 16 is already in development wouldn't it be a little late to base the combat system design on 15's success or failure?

Pure guess on my part. I have no clue about the status of FF16.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

wasnt this confirmed when they showed the first gameplay video ?

maybe it will work out well..

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.